Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M56 SULEV Motor Warranty

My Cars
    325iT

M56 SULEV Motor Warranty

Please Help!!! The fuel pump on my 2004 325iT has gone out and i only have 20,000 miles on the car. I can't seem to find any info on the extended warranty on these SULEV vehicles. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks, frogdogHI

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    E46 vehicles don't have an extended warranty on the fuel pumps like the E90s do, if that's what you mean. I'm not aware of the SULEVs having any other special warranties just because they're SULEVs either.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    No special warranty... after 5 years, you are on your own unless you have purchased an extended warranty through an aftermarket company or through your local bmw dealer.

Your car is low mileage, but it is the time factor that got you, not the mileage.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    325iT
    Ouch! Seems i read somewhere that there was an extended warranty on all parts having to do with the low emissions. Shoots. Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by frogdogHI View Post
    Ouch! Seems i read somewhere that there was an extended warranty on all parts having to do with the low emissions. Shoots. Thanks for the help.
    That would be the catalytic converters I suppose... those are warrantied for 8yr/80,000 miles.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E46
    Your BMW SULEV has a 15 year/150,000 mile no deductible warranty on the fuel pump that is embedded inside the fuel tank, which has to be replaced...it's a $6k+ part and part of the emission chain making it SULEV . As long as you perform service within a state that SULEV's were sold....you are good to go.
    Last edited by Screwdriver; 11-14-2009 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Your BMW SULEV has a 15 year/150,000 mile no deductible warranty on the fuel pump that is embedded inside the fuel tank, which has to be replaced...it's a $6k+ part and part of the emission chain making it SULEV . As long as you perform service within a state that SULEV's were sold....you good to go.
    $6,000.

The part is about $200 from a dealer, plus installation. I don't know what the dealers charge for it, but you just pull up the rear seat cushion and swap out the pumps. Shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes.

My Cars
    E46
    E46 SULEV has the M56 engine....the fuel filter and fuel pump reside in the fuel tank....if one fails, you have to replace the entire tank....

See diagram
    Last edited by Screwdriver; 11-14-2009 at 02:13 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Actually, this is where forums are at their best. Two heads are better than one, and 2 million are certainly better than one. You have to filter more information, but you're much more likely to find the correct answer somewhere.

I was unaware of any special warranties pertaining to SULEV vehicles that arent' available in my state.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    That's just a normal fuel tank. What am I missing?

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    it's all in one tank, and yeah it's like 7000 $, but it's part of the emissions system and they should warranty it longer than the standard warranty
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ss109 View Post
    That's just a normal fuel tank. What am I missing?
    The SULEV fuel tank is made of stainless steel and is completely sealed except for the hole you put the gas nozzle into to fill it up. So when you replace it, it's the tank, filler neck, pumps, level senders, the whole assembly in one piece. (I did some research just for you Screwdriver. Hope I made you proud)

Which oddly enough, has nothing to do with the car being an SULEV, but rather so that the vehicle can also carry a "Zero Evaporative Emissions" label in addition to the SULEV nomenclature.

My Cars
    E46
    look up the SULEV radiator......about $800. It eats smog as you drive.
    Last edited by Screwdriver; 11-15-2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    you can replace the sulev radiator with a regular one

I dunno if anyone has tried that with the fuel tank
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Learn something new everyday... would never have thought you had to replace the entire thing. You would think something like this would have been brought up numerous times before.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    You would think something like this would have been brought up numerous times before.
    it has been

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
    it has been
    Link to more information? This is the first I am hearing of it...

My Cars
    E46
    Link to more information? This is the first I am hearing of it...
    This and another E46 forum is where I first read about the SULEV fuel tank...just do a search for SULEV in the E46 section.

I own a CPO 2005 325i SULEV. Great car until I found out about the gas tank. When I took it to my indy, a 30 year BMW repair shop, he thought I was nuts when I told him about the tank. He called his contact at BMW NA and it was confirmed. The good part is the regular E46 tank and plumbing can be swapped in if needed. Parts and labor about $2,500....beats $8k for parts and labor. So with a 15yr/150,000 mile no deductible warranty and the option of swapping out the unit for a standard one after that...I can sleep soundly at night that I am also saving baby seals with my SULEV, since it has the pollution impact of a Toyota Prius.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Many thanks... I will add this to the oddities list so those that ask in the future can be better informed.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Yep, my mom bought an '03 325i SULEV last year. I haven't told her about the $6,000 fuel pump/tank assembly, mainly because as it's been said here...if it fails, it's under warranty.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Learn something new everyday... would never have thought you had to replace the entire thing. You would think something like this would have been brought up numerous times before.
    Me too.

This is interesting. You would think that BMW would have foreseen the consequences of not even having a replaceable fuel filter, let alone fuel pump.

My Cars
    E46
    Me too.

This is interesting. You would think that BMW would have foreseen the consequences of not even having a replaceable fuel filter, let alone fuel pump.
    BMW....amazing cars built by people on meds......

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Me too.

It's pretty straightforward. There is a reason that fuel filters and pumps are replaceable separately on 95% of BMWs sold. That's the logical way to do it.

The M56 E46 was built for a special purpose; to be a SULEV & ultra-low EVAP emissions vehicle. This is why it's got a special fuel system.

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    The SULEV fuel tank is made of stainless steel and is completely sealed except for the hole you put the gas nozzle into to fill it up. So when you replace it, it's the tank, filler neck, pumps, level senders, the whole assembly in one piece. (I did some research just for you Screwdriver. Hope I made you proud)

Which oddly enough, has nothing to do with the car being an SULEV, but rather so that the vehicle can also carry a "Zero Evaporative Emissions" label in addition to the SULEV nomenclature.
    Spot-on. Mike Miller had a letter about a failed SULEV tank in his Tech Talk maybe six months back. He said that they are becoming real headaches with lots of related problems.
    -Denton

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    ....I can sleep soundly at night that I am also saving baby seals with my SULEV, since it has the pollution impact of a Toyota Prius.

Hahahahah classic. I am very grateful for your post. I also have a 2004 325i SULEV with 75k miles on it and while everything is tip top right now, I was worried about the fuel pump going out down the line and if the retrofit was possible. thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast