Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What modifications to make E21 transmission mounts fit on an E36?

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4

What modifications to make E21 transmission mounts fit on an E36?

My thread in the regular E36 forum has gotten no attention, so maybe you guys might know better...

I have searched here and on google, and I cannot find a good writeup on how to make the E21 transmission mounts fit on the E36. All I can find is people saying you need to bore larger holes in the transmission and the support bracket. But no explanation as to how that is done.... Could someone please help me out with a link or an explanation? Thank you!

My Cars
    1997 318ti, 2011 328ix
    This is all I could find. Seems like you would just use a 11mm bit and enlarge the holes where the mounts go. Honestly I dont see why you wouldnt just buy the UUC black mounts
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...anny_mount.htm

Past BMWs: 84 318i, 88 M3, 92 325i, 95 525i, 73 2002, 97 M3/4

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ths916m3 View Post
    This is all I could find. Seems like you would just use a 11mm bit and enlarge the holes where the mounts go. Honestly I dont see why you wouldnt just buy the UUC black mounts

More cost effective I guess? I'd just go for the black mounts myself.

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by ths916m3 View Post
    Yeah, that's the most info I could find, too...

I feel like somebody here has to have done this and knows exactly what you need to do. I'm just surprised I couldn't find a DIY writeup about it somewhere.

My Cars
    '96 M3

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    How hard is it?

Measure the stud, measure the hole, drill hole to correct size...

Haven't you ever fabricated anything before?
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    How hard is it?

Measure the stud, measure the hole, drill hole to correct size...

Haven't you ever fabricated anything before?
    Umm, no. Remember that everyone on these boards are at a different level of experience in DIY. Some people think rebuilding an engine is a piece of cake; some people can't even change their own oil. I simply asked if someone could help me out with how to do it... I didn't ask for a condescending slap across the face.

With that aside... I've looked over the whole thing again. So I would just take a 10mm drill bit and drill out the existing hole in the support bracket and also the notch on the actual transmission?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Outta curiosity do you already have these and thats why you want to do this? Just because there really is no going back so the UUC ones with the reinforcement cups would be a better choice.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    I did the E21 mounts. You just need to drill out the holes a little bigger in the cross mount. Be sure to get the nuts and washers for the new E21 mounts because the studs are larger.

RRSperry, Take it easy, We are here to help each other not knock each other down because of lack of knowledge.

My Cars
    S/C'd ///M3, Daytona 675
    $14.00 from pelican parts is why doing this makes sense!

6.00 per mount, and four .50 nuts....

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I didn't yell or scream, or slap at anyone. I mean really. It's a chunk of rubber with 2 studs. If they don't fit the hole, you can make the hole bigger. If that is beyond your skill level so be it. If you need to find a good write up, maybe you shouldn't be doing this.

A man has to know his limitations.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    When you grow up, you'll realize you don't know everything.

I didn't yell or scream, or slap at anyone. I mean really. It's a chunk of rubber with 2 studs. If they don't fit the hole, you can make the hole bigger. If that is beyond your skill level so be it. If you need to find a good write up, maybe you shouldn't be doing this.

My Cars
    01 740iL, 80 320i,
    Wow...so much for asking help from fellow BF members. Good luck with your project either way.

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by chiodeguate View Post
    Wow...so much for asking help from fellow BF members. Good luck with your project either way.
    Haha... thanks. I think I've got it under control now.

My Cars
    '96 M3
    I think I remember reading 12mm when I looked into this a long time ago....?

Don't quote me on that, but make sure to double check the correct.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    It's a pretty easy task...

You need a floor jack and jack stands.
    1. jack the car up - put floor stands to hold.
    2. place jack under the transmission - right behind the drain plug is good... jack until jack is supporting the tranny (DON'T OVER DO IT!)

3. remove the transmission brace

4. Brace out... use a grinding bit on a drill to enlarge the hold. About 1mm should do it. The brace is made out of aluminum so we're talking a 2 min job tops.

5. Drop your E21 mounts in.

Here's a pic of the type of grinding BIT I used... they come in other shapes like cones and rounded heads.

The size of the bit is like 1/2". Don't quote me on that. Just bring your mounts with your to the hardware store (you need to anyway to buy the nuts and washers for them).

Hope that helps.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Thanks, guys. I'm pretty familiar with the replacement process; just not the modifications needed for the E21 mounts. I've actually taken out the transmission cross brace before when I installed a new shift kit/bushings and a new guibo. (I should have just done the mounts then!)

I've got the E21 mounts now with new locknuts, so I'm all set there. According to Pelican Parts and UUC, they have 10mm studs, so I'm gonna assume those guys are accurate...

My Cars
    1995 M3

Dirty Harry.

OP, Sperry means well, he's just impatient with people who lack initiative and common sense. j/k
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    OP, Sperry means well, he's just impatient with people who lack initiative and common sense. j/k
    I'm impatient with people who rush into things without knowing exactly what they're doing...

My Cars
    325is
    Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering how it turned out for you. Are the e21 mounts the same height as the e36 ones?

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by M50E36 View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering how it turned out for you. Are the e21 mounts the same height as the e36 ones?
    Yes.
    They are not soft and waisted like the mushy E36 pieces.

They may save you a $shift.

m

My Cars
    95 M3, 83 MBZ 300D
    Which mounts do you use? There are different parts for 77-79 and 80-83 320's

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by sirius600 View Post
    Which mounts do you use? There are different parts for 77-79 and 80-83 320's

23 71 1 175 424 x2

m

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    This has to be one of the lamest threads I have seen. It isn't because the OP is asking how to make his E21 mounts work for an E36, its the fact that he isn't spending $35 for mounts that already fit an E36.

What a waste of time.

My Cars
    95 M3, 83 MBZ 300D
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    This has to be one of the lamest threads I have seen. It isn't because the OP is asking how to make his E21 mounts work for an E36, its the fact that he isn't spending $35 for mounts that already fit an E36.

What a waste of time.
    Mind sending each of us the $30 difference so we can buy the UUC mounts? Then again they might cause problems with our DSSR's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast