Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: How to fix a leaky temp sensor o-ring for 59 cents

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    Here is a video about replacing the Green "O" Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6XgOrOcoU

This works for the majority of the O Rings.
    Home Depot Plumbing Section

Bud

- - - Updated - - -

Danco #31 O Ring
    Worked in my '06 530i

My Cars
    328I, 1999.
    Yeah, it worked in mine as well (so far no leak).. Took me about 10 mins to replace, however; 3 hours to find the wire clip that holds the wire harness on top of coolant temp sensor in place. Piece of advice, be careful about it. Dealership doesnt have it either
    umermariner

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    ECStuning has the real o-ring for a buck plus shipping of course.

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    looking for 96 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
    ECStuning has the real o-ring for a buck plus shipping of course.
    Another alternative is to get a fuel injector oring from your local auto parts store.

Fuel injector orings are also that size which is a -203. I also picked up some from lowes but I wasn't sure what the material is and I know that if it can hold fuel pressure it should work with coolant.

It should be possible to get fuel injectors locally such as the BWD 274571 that I got at oreilly or the SMP SK57 kit.

-Rich

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Great post, just the ticket! My '02 540i uses the same sensor, and the part number at O'Reilly Auto is same as for the 05 325i you have. I picked up a $3 selection of O-rings with the #31 o-ring in it (and will return the $29 sensor I had purchased)!

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Great post. My lower radiator hose was leaking... or so I thought. Bought a Rein brand replacement hose at auto zone for about $40.
    Ran across this article and also bought a set of o-rings for $3 while I was there. Changed the o-ring first. Turns out I didn't need to change the hose at all, just the o-ring for the sensor. Took this hose back, saved myself $40 because of this post. Thanks you so much!

My Cars
    '06 zhp coupe
    Fixed my leak with the help of this thread recently. Thanks OP.

I have to add that the the #31 o-ring, the one measured in inches is a little larger than the original. I saw a metric one at the hardware store, 8mm x 3mm. That one is probably the exact fit. I bought the inch one and it was a really tight fit but with the help of some grease I got it in there. Also, no need to drain any coolant. I pulled the sensor with a full coolant system and only a few drops dripped out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12