Thread: Ses p1093

My Cars
    330XI

Ses p1093

Hello everyone: I have a recurrent problem with my car, 330Xi 2002 with 126000 miles that has the check engine light on. The code is P1093 (Pre-Catalyst Fuel Trim Too Rich Bank 2) I have checked & cleaned the MAF sensor, the O2 sensors were replaced at 100K as well as all the regular services etc. There are no other codes. I have erased the code couple of times and it comes back within 10 miles of driving. The car starts without any problems drives well with smooth acceleration etc. any clues ??? suggestions ???

My Cars
    Some
    my first guess would be that you need a new air meter.

my second guess would be a failed fuel pressure regulator.

my third guess would be leaking injector.

My Cars
    09 335i X-Drive Sport
    Maybe new charcoal canister

maybe a new charcoal canister, sometimes can cause rich mixtures
    Last edited by bkentopp; 10-30-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyday is a good day when you can hit 100mph+ on the way to work!
    Sport: ON DSC: OFF

2001 M5 Sold, 2001 740i Sport Sold, 2001 330i Sold, 1995 M3 Sold, 1991 325IX Sold, 1991 318IS Sold,
    1980 633Csi Sold. 2005 CTS-V Sold.

My Cars
    330XI
    I am still puzzled as to why only Bank 2 (cylinder 4,5,6) be affected. The park plugs appearance is normal and similar in all cylinders. Fuel consumption is excellent ( ie 23 to 25 MPG). My reasoning (?? faulty) regarding Fuel pressure regulator,fuel tank venting and MAF sensor is that both banks should throw the same code ???
    Leaky fuel injector : how to check this out

MAF was the culprit indeed. The measured air mass in gms/sec does not change with throttle opening, it stays at 3.65gms/sec. Thank you all for the input. I measured it using OBDcom software which measures and graphs generic obd2 data. Logically it is still hard to explain why only one bank ( ie bank 2) was running rich??
    Last edited by sidct; 10-31-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 330ci
    hey sidct,

Did you ever get to figure out the cause of the P1093? I am having the same issue you were having...Im thinking I need to replace the MAF??

Thanks

milestone707

My Cars
    330XI
    Quote Originally Posted by milestone707
    hey sidct,

Did you ever get to figure out the cause of the P1093? I am having the same issue you were having...Im thinking I need to replace the MAF??

Thanks

milestone707
    It turned out to camshaft sensor, diagnosed by the dealer, it did cure the issue and no more CEL, cost $450. I still cannot understand how and why of it.

My Cars
    '02 530i 5 speed swap
    Bumping a super old thread but I'm getting this as a pending code every 500-1000 miles in my 02 530i, I have a brand new MAF, valve cover gasket, intake boot, throttle body gasket, intake manifold gasket, PCV system, spark plugs, fuel filter W/built in pressure regulator, fuel pump, new vacuum lines from the EGR to the back of the intake manifold, intake manifold vacuum plugs (at the very back of the manifold), and brake booster vacuum hose. Any thoughts? I think I may have went above and beyond with my car and vacuum related issues haha

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    No, just observing this postings...I use a propane torch, unlit, and wave it around vacuum hoses. If I hear a rise in engine rpm...gee, I guess there might be a leak. Vacuum hoses do fail.....at least, it should be a first order for check!

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Did you do all of that stuff chasing this code? First order of business should always be to run a scan with a bmw scan tool.