Thread: reverse rotation turbos...

My Cars
    E21 M30T & Holden VX SS

reverse rotation turbos...

What exactly is the difference between the turbos we are familiar with. And the reverse rotation ones. I know that they rotate anti clockwise. But why? whats the use?.. and I've been reading on some forums, that If a car is using a reverse rotation turbo, and want to upgrade to a clockwise rotating turbo, lots of modifications should be done, and its a little hard. why is that?.. Any info, pix, links!!
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Wen the turbo kicks in. It's like gettin a BJ on command.But wenever U wnt it , as long as U want it and without her complaining and havin to come up for air

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    You know how when you are below the southern hemisphere, the toliet water rotates in the opposite direction than if you were in the norther hemisphere. I think its like that.

My Cars
    E21 M30T & Holden VX SS
    Quote Originally Posted by GT35Rm3 View Post
    You know how when you are below the southern hemisphere, the toliet water rotates in the opposite direction than if you were in the norther hemisphere. I think its like that.
    Trying to act funny ?
    Wen the turbo kicks in. It's like gettin a BJ on command.But wenever U wnt it , as long as U want it and without her complaining and havin to come up for air

My Cars
    Suck
    There are applications like a v8 where you'd be running a twin turbo setup, one on each bank. If you want symmetry between banks you'd need a reverse rotation turbo.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    BMW 533i
    its just a matter of packaging.

My Cars
    E21 M30T & Holden VX SS
    what if the setup was single turbo. I read on some Mitsubishi forums about some 4g63 engines using this kind of turbos.

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Two reasons: geometry to fit space constraints, or symmetrical twin turbo setups. Either way it is geometric or aesthetic. I have read of no performance differences. They just cast the housings in mirror images and cut/cast the wheels to correspond.

My Cars
    E21 M30T & Holden VX SS
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Muscle View Post
    Two reasons: geometry to fit space constraints, or symmetrical twin turbo setups. Either way it is geometric or aesthetic. I have read of no performance differences. They just cast the housings in mirror images and cut/cast the wheels to correspond.

I also understand that no performance gain, but why is it a big deal if u want to upgrade later on from a reverse rotation, to a clockwise normal turbo ? could it be the piping fitment?

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ramzisleiman View Post
    I also understand that no performance gain, but why is it a big deal if u want to upgrade later on from a reverse rotation, to a clockwise normal turbo ? could it be the piping fitment?
    Yep!

My Cars
    E36 325is
    There is another reason besides packaging, someone mentioned why an oem would pick a counter rotating turbo as opposed to a std. Flow path (Fluid dynamics) are affected by the port entry and path geometry. So in a perfect world, you would have a single spiral arc starting from the center of the cylinder, and rotating (Counter clockwise) out the exhaust port and ending on the turbine blade. This will reduce turbo lag in most cases.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by FiberFast View Post
    There is another reason besides packaging, someone mentioned why an oem would pick a counter rotating turbo as opposed to a std. Flow path (Fluid dynamics) are affected by the port entry and path geometry. So in a perfect world, you would have a single spiral arc starting from the center of the cylinder, and rotating (Counter clockwise) out the exhaust port and ending on the turbine blade. This will reduce turbo lag in most cases.
    The only engine you could actually replicate that path of air is a rotary or maybe a 1 cylinder engine.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust