Thread: Bad Luck again...Steering locked, ignition wont start

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5

Bad Luck again...Steering locked, ignition wont start

well took my dog to the park tonight.....and got back into my car and started it...but the dang thing wouldnt unlock the steering column....so I turned it off and on several times turning the steering wheel like crazy...hoping that it would unlock and I could at least drive home......

well no deal....and now it wont even start....the key will get to the on position and stop and not turn anymore...so I cant start it or unlock the steering column
    to turn the wheels......I hate the fact that its at the park and not at home....

I have tried all 3 keys of mine.....because the one i use most often looked pretty worn down....so I was hoping that at least it was just a key thing....but no...........

so any thoughts on what I should do now?

thanks

I have searched a little and most say that their ignition would spin freely but mine didn't do that...mine has been fine until tonight....and it would start normally each time just not unlock the steering column...and then it would just go to the on position and not the start position....

is there anyway to unlock the steering column to drive it home?

UPDATE:

got it home with a car dolly from UHaul because I wanted to find another way to fix it without drilling.....

well without finding another way...I decided to drill it...like in the pic that Brent 930 suggested...and yes I admit I was wrong and Brent_930 was right the spring is in there...mine just was sideways and loose......I finally found it without drilling another hole...I had to use another bent wire so that I could pull it to the hole to use the needle nose pliers to pull it out....and now it feels great to be able to drive it again....and I guess with it removed I am ready for the track...lol....

When I drilled at first and couldnt find the spring I was upset....but I did a little more searching and this thread really helped...it also tells how to do it on an e46
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=284817&page=3
    Last edited by tokbandit; 10-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Looks like you are going to need to disable your steering wheel lock mechanism. You will see a spring after you drill the hole, remove it and no more steering wheel lock. This probably means there is an issue with your tumbler.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Tech/Steering_Lock.jpg

My Cars
    99M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tokbandit View Post

I have searched a little and most say that their ignition would spin freely but mine didn't do that...mine has been fine until tonight....and it would start normally each time just not unlock the steering column...and then it would just go to the on position and not the start position....

is there anyway to unlock the steering column to drive it home?
    I'm going thru something similar myself right now. I'm not able to start the car and the ignition would not spin freely either. After removing the tumbler with a hair pin and disconnecting the ignition switch, I noticed the ignition lock housing pin had snapped (note - this is a part of the lock housing not the tumbler but is what actually engages the ignition switch to start the vehicle).
    I will try to drill in the spot picutured above and remove the spring so I can unlock my steering column as well.
    OBD I manifold,conforti software,CAI, Koni suspension, Rogue SSK, X-TEC HIDs, Gen.III exhaust,DPEs

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    My wifes 328i did the same thing. The plastic pin inside broke. You have 2 options:

A) Remove and replace the whole assembly
    B) Drill the column and remove the spring

I chose option B.
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    97 M3
    I'd like to read your thread but my boss can see the R18 pics.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    well got the tumbler out and played with it and the switch....put it all back together and it starts everytime.....I didnt see anything broken inside where the tumbler is.....

but the steering column still wont unlock...and there is no spring in that spot in that pic....I think they drilled in the wrong spot....

is there any other way to unlock the steering column? I really dont want to be looking for the spring...drilling here and there...hoping to find it.....

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    The spring IS where the hole is in that picture. There is no other way to diable the lock without replace the entire key lock housing.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 930 View Post
    The spring IS where the hole is in that picture. There is no other way to diable the lock without replace the entire key lock housing.
    i dont see a spring in that spot.....I am telling you that picture is wrong

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Then it might be out of position a tad, you need to get some tweezers and fish it out.

Good luck if you think that picture is wrong, it would be the first in the history of the E36.

Do what you want, it isn't my car.

My Cars
    Blk 95 M3, Wt 95 Slush M3 (RIP)
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ight=key+stuck read my thread, I am telling you undo the switch from the ignition cylinder and hold the metal piece that comes out of the ignition cylinder and jiggle the key back and forth while turning the switch a quarter turn back and forth until you hear it click and the key spins freely, then the steering lock should turn come off.

"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines"

- Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    97 M3 Saloon
    This happened with my car a while back. The ignition worked fine, the car started, but the wheel remained locked.

I was still able to drive the car several months before I had it fixed. Pulling hard on the wheel seemed excessive so I didn't do that. I could jiggle the wheel back and forth several times rapidly without too much force and this would release the steering wheel lock.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Those aren't long term fixes, and it maynot even be a fix in the short run.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    thanks guys...and especially Brent_930....I was wrong and really frustrated with the whole thing...but I finally found it without drilling a new hole...it feels great to have a car again....
    Last edited by tokbandit; 10-30-2009 at 09:08 PM.