Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BeemerBuyer's BBS Style 5 Thread - DIY Wheel Refinishing

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80

Post BeemerBuyer's BBS Style 5 Thread - DIY Wheel Refinishing

I bought a set of 4 BBS style 5s last spring with intention of refinishing them and Im now just getting around to it.

The specs for style 5s are pretty generic but for those that don't know the wheels are:

17x8 et20 From an E39 528i with sport package.

I plan on running 205/40/17 Falken ZE-912 UHPAS.

*As well it should be noted that to properly mate these wheels to an E36 they need hubcentric rings. The hub bore on the E39 is 74.1 and the E36 is 72.5 - just slightly smaller. The hubcentric ring just makes up for that small gap.

BBS RC090

I started yesterday with a trip to the hardware store to get all the necessities. I bought:

A 10mm 12 point socket - to remove the bolts ($3)

A 10 inch extension - to be able to reach all the way in to the wheel ($10)

A "Nail set" *the grey one* - this is to tap out all the bolts after removing the nuts. They come in different colors, each represents a different size. The grey one is a good size. ($5)

Jasco - Paint and epoxy remover ($10)

Sand paper - 150, 220, 400, 600, 1500 grit (>$2 each)

You will also need some sort of extension for the socket, it made taking the bolts off a piece of cake. I used a random piece of pipe that fit over the end of my socket handle. You can see it in my third and fifth picture.
    AND

A dead blow hammer

OR a piece of wood, I used a 4x4 block that was laying around in the yard This is for pounding on the center after taking out the bolts. Just be sure to wrap it in a towel so you don't damage your wheel.

Today I started the disassembly process:

Close up of the worst areas:

I flipped all the wheels over and sprayed them all with PB Blaster, to loosen the bolts up a little before trying to take them apart.

Then I used the pipe extension around my socket wrench to go to town on the bolts. I separated the nuts and bolts into two different jars each full of vinegar.

This is the wheel with all the nuts off.

Now that you have all the nuts off, you have to use the "nail set" to tap the bolts out. Now this may seem easier than it really is. You have to smack the bolts pretty damn hard, some come out on the first hit some take 3 or 4 hits. You will figure out your own technique on how you want to hold the nail set and at which angle you find more comfortable. I say that because I hit my thumb a few times and scratched the wheel a few times This is the hardest part of taking them apart. It is very tedious work, so remember that the slower you go the less likely you will scratch, gouge or hit your wheel.

It was a pain in the ass doing the first wheel but by the time I was doing the 4th I totally had the hang of it. It gets easier as you go.

Now that you have the bolts out, flip the wheel over, get your wood block wrapped in a towel or your dead blow hammer. Place it on the center of the wheel - hit it. Now move the block to one edge (3 o'clock postion) - hit it, rotate the wheel - hit it, rotate the wheel - hit it so on and so forth.... They'll come out eventually, and like those damn bolts some come out easier than others. It took 4 or 5 hits before they came out.

After doing this same process to each of the 4 wheels, I sprayed them all with some degreaser and gave them a light scrub down. They were so dirty from years of road grime and PB Blaster.

This is what I was left with.

The bolts and nuts are still soaking in their jars of vinegar.

DAY #2
    UPDATE:

What you will need:
    Some things I list I'm just going to go ahead and assume you will have lying around.

Jasco
    Paint brush
    Metal container
    Old rags
    Any open area

I started by taking the barrels out to a very well ventilated area where I could apply the Jasco. This is to remove the clear coat from the barrels.
    Note: the nuts and bolts in vinegar.

This stuff is nasty.
    Do not breathe it and DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR SKIN. Wear long sleeves and thick gloves. I accidentally let my wrist brush against one of the wheels after the Jasco was applied and even though it was dry it started burning me instantly. Just be safe, use your head.

Pour the Jasco in to a shallow metal container. I used a plastic container lined with aluminum foil, which worked just fine. Then with your paint brush, brush the Jasco on to your lips. I found that the more you use the more clear coat it eats away and the easier it is to get off.

This was my first coat, which was pretty light - but go ahead and glob it on. The more the merrier.

After applying it to all 4 wheels let it dry for 20 to 30 minutes. It works pretty fast. I could hear one of the wheels making a hissing noise within seconds after applying the Jasco.

I drained out my vinegar jars and took a look at the nuts and bolts.
    The vinegar did a good job cleaning them up. It loosened all the grime and blue loctite was gone.

While waiting for the Jasco to dry I wiped each bolt... Yes, individually. And put them separately in other clean jars.

30 minutes later, the lips should be dry and are ready to be wiped down.
    Get your gloves and your old rag, and start wiping the lip. I found that one of three possible outcomes will occur.

1.It is easy to wipe off and your left with nice smooth bare metal.
    or
    2. It doesn't come off at all.
    or
    3. Where it sort of comes off but leaves behind a residue.

This is the first coat...

Second or third coat and a lot of wiping later...

Still a lot of residue, but getting there...

So depending on how much you can get off with the first round of Jasco, just keep doing what we did before. Apply - Wait - Rub off, Apply - Wait - Rub off... Until its all gone. It took me 4 maybe 5 different coats before I got it all off.
    *Remember, as in accordance with the rest of this project, it takes a while.

Since it might take a while... What do you do with all that in between time?

Clean up your centers!
    I've found that the Mr.Clean magic eraser is a wonderful tool to use. They are $2.50 for a 2 pack and happen to work great for stuff like this.

Note: The bottom left one is clean

This

To This

Back out side the lips are almost there, about 95% clear coat free. It takes a lot of scrubbing to get it all off.

Here is one of the lips all done. I haven't even started sanding yet and it looks way better with out the clear coat.

I will again update soon, I still have a lot more work to do!

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Butler; 10-19-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    04 gti vr6, 89 325i
    very nice i look forward to the rest of the write up!

My Cars
    Nice man I am about to start a set for a buddy of mine. Just remember to take your time polishing aluminum, its not going to come out perfect the first time you polish it.

My Cars
    E30s
    I think you're gonna need more than 2 dollars worth of sand paper and if you value your time I'd get at the minimum a jitterbug 1/4 sheet sander to speed up sanding time. Also start at 80 or 100 grit especially in those pitted areas.

My Cars
    e36 ///M3
    Nice write up so far!
    99 TitanSilber ///M3
    13.90 @ 101 mph

My Cars
    13 5.0| 11 SHO| 97 M3/4
    good work bro!

425whp/401wtq and 3496lbs - Race car
    97 M3/4 -Daily

My Cars
    '08 335i, '89 325i
    Where are the FM10's going?!

Looks like a good buildup, very similar to mine

My Cars
    E24
    This is a great thread. I am looking forward to updates. I planned on sending my Style 5's to get refinished this winter but if this DIY turns out to be a viable option then I am all up for it.

Great pics and great write up so far. Everything is very clear and easy to follow.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossman11 View Post
    I think you're gonna need more than 2 dollars worth of sand paper and if you value your time I'd get at the minimum a jitterbug 1/4 sheet sander to speed up sanding time. Also start at 80 or 100 grit especially in those pitted areas.
    I think he meant 2 bucks per pack, and he probably wont need to go as harsh as 80 or 100 grit.

And if you really want to make it go quicker pick up some of this.

This works kinda like a cutting compound.

Then this for polish.

My Cars
    2005 STi
    Nice job so far! And yeah... Those bolts can be a PITA to knock out with the nail set.
    E92 M3-1 by Arlen Liverman, on Flickr

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Nice I'm gonna hafta save this for when I do my style 19's

My Cars
    "stock" 95 M3, 97 318ti
    great job!! looks incredible
    -Brandon

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    god those pics bring back horrid memories of refinishing my wheels...i never wanna do it again....good luck man i cant wait to see the finished product

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    If you are using jasco wear gloves, it really burns when you don't. I have two completed. Try starting with 320 grit sand paper.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroCar View Post
    Where are the FM10's going?!

Looks like a good buildup, very similar to mine

They aren't going anywhere.
    The style 5s are kind of acting as my guinea pig to practice on. Im planning to refinish the FM10s for this coming summer. I just got some summer tires for the FM10s and I thought it'd be cool to use the style 5s for the winter months with some all season tires.

Thanks for the inspiration guys.
    Last edited by Butler; 10-18-2009 at 03:45 AM.
    -Nick

My Cars
    BMW Vert & Touring
    I will be keeping a close eye on the progress, got a set of five 'style 29s' to polish the lips on.
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #003

My Cars
    17 Sprinter, 94 325is
    looks good man. im gonna suggest you get some 2000 grit sand paper aswell and a file to file out the curb rash. but so far so good.

My Cars
    1999 M3 S/C, 2001 525iA
    In for the updates!

1999 M3
    2001 525iA

2007 F150 Sold
    1995 M3 Sold
    1987 528e Sold
    1985 325e Sold

My Cars
    '04 B6 QT6MT Avant
    Looks awesome Nick I can't wait to see the final product. I'll call you a little later today and ask how they're going. BTW Tom's account is Teege12 he wanted me to tell you that. P.S. Scott's rockin' khaki's and hiking shoes? Haha.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessTurbo View Post
    In for the updates!
    Are the 5s in your sig real? Photoshop?

I want to see pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedAvant View Post
    Looks awesome Nick I can't wait to see the final product. I'll call you a little later today and ask how they're going. BTW Tom's account is Teege12 he wanted me to tell you that. P.S. Scott's rockin' khaki's and hiking shoes? Haha.
    Thanks dude.

Yeah... Its all about khakis and hiking shoes. haha. So hot right now.
    Last edited by Butler; 10-18-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Nick

My Cars
    e36, e46, e70, e92
    Damn, this is one hell of a writeup. Keep up the good work!

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    subscribed, i wanna to see how this ends up

My Cars
    740iL/Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpen View Post
    subscribed, i wanna to see how this ends up
    same here....

My Cars
    E36 Panda Club#1
    subscribed

please dont let us down lol

this thread will be godly

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3
    Great thread, just picked up a set of Style 5's tonight, so this thread is going to be very use-full. Im going to pm you some questions for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by riffman12 View Post
    basically any of the slammed cars with stretched tires will run low 8's

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast