Thread: Auto trans fluid level check--DIY possible?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci

Auto trans fluid level check--DIY possible?

Hey all.
    As I own my recently purchased used 2004 325ci, and find more (and more!) areas of neglect, or mild abuse by the po, I've become somewhat concerned about the auto tranny's fluid level. It's a Steptronic. Good news? Tranny is working fine at the moment. But I've noticed that the reservoir marked auto trans oil only under the hood is covered in what I assume to be trans fluid, which appears to be typical of the care the car received before I bought it. I have slowly started working thru repair and maintenance issues (and simple clean up). The trans fluid on the reservoir looks like simple sloppiness, not an active leak, but it has my attention.

My service manual seems to duck the issue of how to check that your auto trans level is ok. Is their some way for me to do so without taking it to a mechanic or the stealer?

I took the car to the local stealer for a prepurchase check, which later turned out to be next to worthless (a long story), and, of course, I've started to become concerned over what else I paid for to not find out, if you know what I mean.

My vehicle has ~36K. Any words of wisdom regarding auto trans fluid checks on E46's?

My Cars
    Black 00 323i
    The thing that says ATF on it is your power steering fluid. It uses ATF. And that's a pretty common problem. I have a leak on mine too. Haven't fixed it yet though.

My Cars
    92 BMW 325i, 02 330i
    "Search" is your best friend here, tons of information here on how to check and change it yourself, but at that low milage it should be ok once it is not leaking. Again that atf thing is always like that get used to it, clean today by weekend same bad state,

consider changing trans oil at about 50-60k.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci
    Thanks for the encouragement, folks.
    I thought a reservoir for the transmission was weird, but I assume nothing when it comes to how BMW may choose to design something, and, I hadn't had time to followup with a closer comparo to the service manual.
    I don't care for the proximity of the reservoir above the alternator if it's gonna' ooze some, but what can you do? The same thing you do with the brake dust, I guess.....just keep wiping it off!

My Cars
    Black 00 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb View Post
    "Search" is your best friend here, tons of information here on how to check and change it yourself, but at that low milage it should be ok once it is not leaking. Again that atf thing is always like that get used to it, clean today by weekend same bad state,

consider changing trans oil at about 50-60k.

Or you can not change it at all. But this is a touchy subject.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The power steering reservoir has a gasket or O-ring under the lid - or at least it should. Replace the gasket and it should take care of your recurring mess. It's only a buck or two, even at the dealer.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    The power steering reservoir has a gasket or O-ring under the lid - or at least it should. Replace the gasket and it should take care of your recurring mess. It's only a buck or two, even at the dealer.
    Nathan, you beat me to the question. A simple fix that I'll do right away.

My Cars
    2005 e46 325i
    Isn't it great to fix your worries with a 2$ power steering can O-ring?

Should you be concerned with an 04' car that was possibly bought in 03' and that has only 36K on the odo...? You might have been lucky with that one too

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakuss View Post
    Isn't it great to fix your worries with a 2$ power steering can O-ring?

Should you be concerned with an 04' car that was possibly bought in 03' and that has only 36K on the odo...? You might have been lucky with that one too
    Indeed. I got everything cleaned, a fresh quart of ATF and installed the "O" ring. There was an old one there, but it was looking poorly.

As for the car, well I thought so too, but have discovered that it was unloved. I'm changing all that.

Off to the just failed window regulator!

My Cars
    325xi
    I am also suffering from a "wet cap" on the resovoir as well, and also thought that this was an ATF level-check point.

Guess it makes sense that it is power steering since it is a resovoir...

Anyway, on my cap there are 3 "indents" on the molded-in stem that serves to mark fluid levels(?).
    But not a word molded on to the stem as to Low, High or which level is the one the car needs to be at, when the fluid is hot, cold, whatever.

Also; notice the molded stem of the cap is moded hollow and with a vent to the top of the cap. This self-venting explains why the resovoir cap is always "wet".

I guess I need to swing by the local BMW shop about this O-ring and the fluid-levels. And who knows; maybe there should be some kind of small plug for the hole in the cap(?) because I doubt that it should be a self-venting system.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    I am also suffering from a "wet cap" on the resovoir as well, and also thought that this was an ATF level-check point.

Guess it makes sense that it is power steering since it is a resovoir...

Anyway, on my cap there are 3 "indents" on the molded-in stem that serves to mark fluid levels(?).
    But not a word molded on to the stem as to Low, High or which level is the one the car needs to be at, when the fluid is hot, cold, whatever.

Also; notice the molded stem of the cap is moded hollow and with a vent to the top of the cap. This self-venting explains why the resovoir cap is always "wet".

I guess I need to swing by the local BMW shop about this O-ring and the fluid-levels. And who knows; maybe there should be some kind of small plug for the hole in the cap(?) because I doubt that it should be a self-venting system.
    I assumed the power steering fluid would best be checked while at normal running temperature. I made this assumption as the ATF seems to expand when warm or hot. My understanding is that you're aiming for the "third" or topmost indent as full. Just to play it safe I didn't fill mine all the way up to the full line to account for some further expansion while hot.

Since I replaced the O ring, I've had no more leakage.

Strange, my cap has the hollow stem, but no vent hole on top.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    It is a self-venting system, but the vent should only make a mess if you're overfilled or driving really hard (e.g. day at the track).

Replace the O-ring and it should cure the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Latent Gearhead View Post
    Strange, my cap has the hollow stem, but no vent hole on top.
    The vent hole is on the side/end of one of the little knurls/handles on the cap - it's not right on the top. Look closer, you'll see it.