Thread: Power Steering Question?

My Cars
    88 735i, 90 325is, 95 M3

Power Steering Question?

Does anybody have the link on the DIY power steering hose fix (the hose from the reservoir to the steering-rack)? I did a search but couldn't find the right link. Thanks!!!

My Cars
    88 735i, 90 325is, 95 M3
    ^

My Cars
    GTS2 325;Zanardi NSX
    There are several options and they are all pretty simple. 1) Some have just replaced the hose clamp that attaches the hose to the reservoir and this stopped the leak. You want a good quality screw type clamp, not the POS stock one. 2) Others recommend cutting the hose slightly shorter and replacing the hose clamp.

I do not recommend option two because it puts extra stress at the point where the hose attaches to the metal cooling line and this is were mine failed (at the track during a race).

3) The best solution is buying a new hose from Pacific BMW and replace it with a new hose clamp. Since you are doing the work, this solution is only marginally more expensive and is a better fix.

Bob

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    Mine also failed at the track, BUT you cannot just "replace the hose"...here is why. Also, DO NOT shorten the hose...read below.

Working back from the resivour, you have the return hose, which is clamped on to the bottom of the resivour. Then, a short peice of hose that is attached to the cooling coils, and then the rack itself.

Problem is, the cooling coil to hose connection is a crimp connection. The cooling coil crimps to the outside of the hose, thus, you cannot cut that hose and slip another over it...it just aint gonna work.

So, the best fix is to remove the cooling coil, cut off the crimp fitting (use a dremel), file the edges and clean it up....flush with lots of brake cleaner, clamp on a new hose to the cooling coil (use a GOOD clamp). Make sure the hose is a bit longer than the stocker, as IMHO, the stock hose is too short, and this tugs on that fitting, causing it to fail....like it did to me on the track. Make sure the replacement hose is a BIT LONGER than the stocker! You should buy some bulk PS hose for this...not cheapo heater hose. I believe it was 12mm ID bulk ps hose that you need. 1/2" was too big and 7/16 was "unavailable" in my area. You should find 12mm if you can.

That about covers it...make sure you use good clamps and make the hose longer to and flex in that system will not tug on that hose!

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

My Cars
    GTS2 325;Zanardi NSX
    Originally posted by ArcticFox
    BUT you cannot just "replace the hose"...here is why.
    When I said replace the hose, I meant the hose as you buy it from BMW, which comes with the cooling line. Yes, the above fix modifying the crimp would work well and be cheaper.

Bob