Thread: Help with throttle body/fuel rail/manifold

My Cars
    2011 335xi

Help with throttle body/fuel rail/manifold

Ok, so I've found many resources for the M50 removal, but I can't seem to find any for M52. I'm working on replacing my head gasket and I'm stuck at removing the throttle body (ok so I'm just scared of taking something off I shouldn't).

Here are a couple of pics where I'm at:

The fuel rail has me baffled. I guess what I'm looking for is a good detailed writeup with pics of how to take off the throttle body, and fuel rail. I have the Bentley and the Pelican ones, but those appear to be for a 325.

Is the tool for the fuel lines necessary? Or can i just break those clamps off and replace them with "regular" clamps?

There's a pink sticker on the part above the MAF...do I unscrew that vertical bolt to take that off?
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 10-06-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    It's probably similar to the 325i. If i remember correctly: When I did the HG on it, I left the tb and fuel rail in tack. I just removed the hardware that attaches the mani to the head, and removed the electrical from the injectors, and tied it up, out of the way (the other little stuff too).

Robert
    Tbd

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    It's probably similar to the 325i. If i remember correctly: When I did the HG on it, I left the tb and fuel rail in tack. I just removed the hardware that attaches the mani to the head, and removed the electrical from the injectors, and tied it up, out of the way (the other little stuff too).

Robert
    That's kind of what I was thinking about doing as well, just removing it from the intake manifold, and then holding it in place somehow.

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    This is for the head gasket job:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ead-Gasket.htm

Of course, that incorporates many of their other DIY writeups. This should help you out specifically for the throttle body/fuel rail/manifold:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...e-Manifold.htm

If it's any encouragement, I even did everything in this writeup, and I'm not particularly mechanically inclined. ;-)
    Last edited by bdr127; 10-06-2009 at 07:52 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    The throttle body comes off in 2 parts.

Disconnect the clamp that holds the big piece of plastic and remove it.
    Then 2 screws to disconnect the front part (ASC ??) of the throttle body. Once that is removed, it's fairly easy access to the remaining 4 bolts holding the rest of the throttle body to the manifold.

I bought the tool for the fuel lines, but I don't think it was really necessary. They are quick connects that just eventually released after I twisted and pulled back on the connection with my fingers.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    the boot's just got a clamp unscrew and pull off. The throttle body is 4 screws, unscrew it and put it aside. You have to take off the TB to get the manifold off.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Haha, if you're scared now, just wait until you dig into the engine further as the project progresses!

Just joking -- yes, the TB is is 2 parts, one is for the DSC to "choke" then engine to slow it down, the other is the actual TB itself. There's 4 10mm bolts that need to come off to get the whole assembly off. IIRC they're different lengths so be sure to tape them in place/mark them/whatever to ensure you can get it all back the same when you re-install.

Be sure to take plenty of digital pics (especially of the electrical) and mark everything you can as you go along. When I did this over a year ago, it was a nightmare getting everything back in place since I wasn't careful enough in marking things.

As for the fuel rail, I just took mine off the injectors, then pushed it back against the rear of the engine bay while I did the HG job. No need to disconnect the fuel lines from the rail.

Now would be a good time to send your injectors in to be flow tested and rebuilt; also if your front O2 sensors are of unknown age/condition, no better or easier time than now to do those as well -- the job is much easier with the header off the car.

Good luck and post back here if you run into any snags!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki