Thread: how to install infant car seat on a 03 325i?!?!? HELP

My Cars
    03 325i, 02 Jetta

Exclamation how to install infant car seat on a 03 325i?!?!? HELP

I don't have my manual so I can see what BMW recommends for the most safety location. I need to ease my mind and need to see real proof of how to install my infant car seat and where. I know the middle back seat is the most safety location for most cars. But i would like if somebody had a link to where i could probably download my car manual or a link of a tech installing in a car like mine. THANK YOU!!!

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I can get you the manual on line? Let me see

Wagon or sedan...your choice

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals

It looks like you just strap it in the back with the harness/chest belt?
    Last edited by danewilson77; 10-03-2009 at 11:57 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Really depends on the seat.

If it's a LATCH-compatible child seat, there are LATCH anchors on the rear deck lid and under plastic covers in the crease between the seat bench and the seat back.

If it's not a LATCH-compatible seat, then refer to the manual that came with the child seat. In general, you'll put your knee in the seat, put some weight into it, then tighten the belt as tight as you can while it's weighted down. Some infant seats have a base that you can leave buckled in the car, and a removable kid-carrier that locks into the base.. very convenient, as you only have to do the belt once, then just leave the base there till the kid outgrows the seat.

If you have a shoulder belt, pull it out all the way, then as it retracts, it will ratchet back down so it can't be pulled out again until it has retracted the whole way (try it, you'll see what I mean, and you'll hear it ratchet as it retracts). So if you use a shoulder belt to secure the car seat, pull it out all the way , then buckle it, then let it retract. That'll keep the seat nice and secure. (my 330i does not have a shoulder belt in the rear center seat)
    Last edited by nathancarter; 10-05-2009 at 11:12 AM.

My Cars
    2000 330i
    behind the passenger seat is where it will fit,, not in the middle,,unless you are 4'10"

My Cars
    1999 323i
    That's where I put mine, behind the rear passenger seat. The latch system is good, but our local fire department had a baby seat day and they said the safest way is to use the seat belt method. Just jam the base down into the seat as much as possible and keep the seat belt tight. There should be NO MOVEMENT of the base at all. I'm sure the local paramedics or FD would check it for you.

My Cars
    01 330I Sport/M/Winter package
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Really depends on the seat.

If it's a LATCH-compatible child seat, there are LATCH anchors on the rear deck lid and under plastic covers in the crease between the seat bench and the seat back.

If it's not a LATCH-compatible seat, then refer to the manual that came with the child seat. In general, you'll put your knee in the seat, put some weight into it, then tighten the belt as tight as you can while it's weighted down. Some infant seats have a base that you can leave buckled in the car, and a removable kid-carrier that locks into the base.. very convenient, as you only have to do the belt once, then just leave the base there till the kid outgrows the seat.

If you have a shoulder belt, pull it out all the way, then as it retracts, it will ratchet back down so it can't be pulled out again until it has retracted the whole way (try it, you'll see what I mean, and you'll hear it ratchet as it retracts). So if you use a shoulder belt to secure the car seat, pull it out all the way , then buckle it, then let it retract. That'll keep the seat nice and secure. (my 330i does not have a shoulder belt in the rear center seat)
    what this guy said, i use the middle seat belt but hook it up different, i adjust the belt before latching it then i'll use the belt spot, so if i have to move the seat to another car i wont have to readjust anything, this way its a lot tighter..

after looking at the manual you should call or visit your local police to find out when they're having the next child seat safety day.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
    after looking at the manual you should call or visit your local police to find out when they're having the next child seat safety day.
    Ahh, good tip.

Your auto insurance company and AAA may also have additional information, as well as discount prices on quality, safe, no-frills child seats.