Thread: 01 325Ci burning excessive oil - recall?

My Cars
    01 325Ci

01 325Ci burning excessive oil - recall?

So i discussed how i have been eating through about a quart of oil every couple weeks w/ a friend of mine. Obviously, this isnt a normal occurance. It started around 20k miles and i told my dealership about it and they blew me off (what a surprise, im only 18 so i dont get much respect there). They acted like i dont know what a car is (i could probably hang w/ them or even tell them a few things about bimmer w/ all the reading up on them i do) and told me that a bimmer has a tendancy to go through oil during the break in period. Has anyone ever heard of a break in period 25k miles long? i dont think so. Well now i have almost 40k on the car and its still going through oil like it is its job. My friend just said that he thought he remembered reading somewhere about a recall having to do w/ my car burning excessive oil. I did a search and couldnt come up w/ anything other than the aux fan and overheating problem. Anybody hear of this? any input towards a possible fix is appreciated...

Dalton :

ps- this is my first post on this forum....i like the smilies

My Cars
    2006 330i
    welcome to the board!, i see you on e46fanatics a lot!, but its a normal problem..if you drive it hard its gonna burn more im guessing but i read a thread the other day someone disagreed so im not sure,but 40k it shouldt be still doing it..i bet the recall your thinkin you have read was for m3's to get a connector rod bearings and oil pump it was like for 02's...good luck!

here is the link to the recall website alldata and its specified for your car (the cooling fan is one recall so get that done!!):
    http://www.tsb.com/TSB/06/0106A243.html

My Cars
    330xi
    If I follow the recommended oil change schedule (via computer) on my 2K1 330xi, I use approx. 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. I think that is excessive, but BMW says it is within their tolerance.

2001 330xi

My Cars
    AA Rotrex 330ci, 3.46 LSD, etc..
    I burn a qt every 1k miles.
    Done it for three years now.

My Cars
    01 325Ci
    Yeah, the thing is i dont drive my car very hard at all. I lost my liscence for a month about 2 years ago and i cant get another ticket for anything until after this december, or else i lose my liscence again, so i pretty much drive like a granny now lol. It had never burnt oil before and then at 20k miles it just decided to start sucking it up. I dont think its a leak because there are no stains on my driveway where i park but my friend (who is a mechanic) said he could smell burnt oil while he was riding in my car. He stuck his head out the window while driving with nobody in front of us and he said he could smell it.

I am aware of the connector rod recall on the m3's and i know im not mixing up those recalls. Like i said, i just heard through word of mouth from a friend that he thought there might be a recall but i guess not.

Im definately going to have the cars aux fan recall looked into. Thanks for the input.

-Mark

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Sounds to me like you have a mechanical problem...Like a leaky head gasket where OIL is allowed to seep through into the combustion chamber and being vaporized, that's why it's going through oil like crazy and you see no drops of it underneath the car.

Problem is a lot more serious than just burning oil. By the way, to BMW it is acceptible to burn through 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    330cic soon
    check out this site, it informs you of all the recalls for BMW

http://www.autobytel.com/content/own...&id=20454;ABTL
    I dont drive fast, just fly low!

My Cars
    01 325Ci
    Originally posted by The HACK
    Sounds to me like you have a mechanical problem...Like a leaky head gasket where OIL is allowed to seep through into the combustion chamber and being vaporized, that's why it's going through oil like crazy and you see no drops of it underneath the car.

Problem is a lot more serious than just burning oil. By the way, to BMW it is acceptible to burn through 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles.
    i should mention this. The car was over revved a while back before this problem occurred. After i got the car back (maybe 7 or 8 k miles later) this problem occurred. I was thinking when they pulled the engine apart they didnt seal it back up correctly. Is tihs something that i should have them fix? You said its a lot more serious than just burning oil? Can it do damage and what kind?

-mark