Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk Latch Cover: Am I missing something here?

My Cars
    911 + E31

Trunk Latch Cover: Am I missing something here?

I can't figure out how to install the trunk latch cover. My car didn't come with one, so I bought one 6 months ago. How in the hell do I install the plastic cover? Am I missing a piece?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    I don't think you're missing anything. It kinda clips on. Molest it a little and put some pressure to "latch" it on. It's a bit funky.

My Cars
    two 8er 6 speeds + 7ers
    This same question was on RF quite a while ago.

The result - just smack it into place. It's new and not brittle and can take it.
    CB42613, CB42577, DH29770 and counting...

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Should I smack it real hard on the protruding 'tip' with a hammer? I've pushed, mildly hammered, coaxed, shoved, pressed, squeezed... Still no love. I'm going out to the garage with a bigger hammer. Wish I had a rubber mallet (might be an excuse to finally buy one).

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    Instead of a rubber mallet Koiz, get a 'dead blow' hammer.... it's heavier duty and still hard rubber coated. Very common at Home Depot or such.

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    don't hit it with a hammer! m o l e s t it on there! You gotta have the love.
    Cut that finger off in the pic and leave it there to hold it!
    Last edited by TTTXGreg; 10-01-2009 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    push harder!
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    94 BMW 840Ci
    I think mine is held on with a little dab of gooey butyl rubber Was like that when I got it, never got around to ordering a new part.

My Cars
    BMW850CI M73 1995
    Hello I need this...do anyone have the part number of this cover?
    Thanks
    Thor-Egil, Norway

95`BMW 850 M73 Individual
    Petrol Mica Blue

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoEagle View Post
    Hello I need this...do anyone have the part number of this cover?
    Part 5 in following ETK diagram:

Trunk lid/closing system

Bookmark the sites BMWfans.info and RealOEM.com - these are the Bibles for BMW parts...

My Cars
    BMW850CI M73 1995
    Bought the cover...but it is too loose. Won`t hang at all...
    So I seem to have the opposite problem

The latch is identical to Koizumis picture. Maybe I miss a kind of clip or something inside the plastic cover so it will fit tight. Can`t see nothing on the OEM catalog....

Thor-Egil, Norway

Petrol Mica Blue

My Cars
    1997 bmw 840ci
    On top of that center nut (where the 90 degree rod comes out) is a rubber grommet. (Koizumi's first picture)
    The cover goes on and that rubber grommet needs to be worked up thru the hole in your new cover. They make a tool that looks like a small ice pick that has a 90 degree turn near the end and a sharp point. You don't need this tool but it is good to have to get loose anything that has clips. You won't break any clips using this tool

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Rick, you finally hit on the detail that I never saw! I've got one of those 90 degree pointy tools. I'll give it a shot today. Thanks

EDIT: I am missing that rubber piece. No wonder I can't get the cover on. There is a groove in the bolt for a rubber item; and there is a circular indentation on the latch cover for this missing piece. It isn't listed in the ETK so I'll try the hardware store for something that might work.
    Last edited by Koizumi; 10-29-2009 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 840ci
    Kozumi;
    Any type of rubber washer might work. I don't guess it needs to come off very often. Clear RTV silicon adhesive will hold it in until it needs to come off again. Little pointy tool is great for these cars with all the little plastic clips. When I installed the headliner I must have bought every clip Charlie (Gault) had and did'nt use one of them!

My Cars
    BMW 840Ci, Merc E320
    Rick - where can I get one of these tools? Can you take a picture so I can see the thing you're talking about?

My Cars
    1997 bmw 840ci

migmog

Quote Originally Posted by migmog View Post
    Rick - where can I get one of these tools? Can you take a picture so I can see the thing you're talking about?
    They have them at any AutoZone,Pepboys or Napa. I don't have it at home. It is where I work on the car. If you go to a place like that and decribe it
    About 6" long, looks like a screw driver but makes a 90 degree angle about 1" from the end ( L ) The short end has a sharp point like a icepick.
    When you use it to pull things from a clip, put it as close to where the clip is located and pull it toward you. You should'nt have any trouble finding one. For that little job Koizumi was doing you have to have something like that tool to dig the rubber grommet thru the hole. Thas what keeps it on the cover. Hope this helps
    Last edited by rick higgins; 10-29-2009 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Can you post pics of the rubbery thing and the tool?

My Cars
    93 - 850.CiA
    sounds like they are describing a pick from this minature pick set ? (second from right)

----Cruise Missile----

My Cars
    1997 bmw 840ci

Thats the one

Quote Originally Posted by thelostmachine View Post
    sounds like they are describing a pick from this minature pick set ? (second from right)

Thats the one, or one like it with a shorter handle.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Koizumi, there is a circular recess right above the adjustment nut that the center part of the cover just snaps and locks into.

This is why the plastic is thinner in this area. Just push up until it snaps into this recess to hold it into place. That's it. No tools or rubber thingy required AFAIK. I've had mine on and off a dozen times over the years.
    Last edited by Dr. T; 10-29-2009 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Thanks for all the suggestions/tips. I could not get the cover on there via pushing until it 'pops' into place. There apparently is some sort of rubber grommet/washer of sorts? In any event, I ended up improvising by installing a makeshift rubber washer from the hardware store. I placed it onto the metal rod after unscrewing it off of it's plate. The washer did pop into the bolt's groove but I couldn't pry it through the plastic latch cover without tearing it into shreds. So, I placed the very tight fitting washer on the outside of the plastic latch cover, then slapped silicone sealant on the washer and into the prong of the plastic latch cover. I clamped it for an hour and will let it set overnight. This seems like a viable makeshift solution to this odd puzzle. If I had another 8 to to use as a reference, it woulda helped probably. In the end, this appears to have worked just fine.

My Cars
    BMW850CI M73 1995
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoEagle View Post
    Bought the cover...but it is too loose. Won`t hang at all...
    So I seem to have the opposite problem

The latch is identical to Koizumis picture. Maybe I miss a kind of clip or something inside the plastic cover so it will fit tight. Can`t see nothing on the OEM catalog....

I NEED that rubber washer. Hmmm... it must be possible to get it, maybe the dealer can dig it out
    Thor-Egil, Norway

Petrol Mica Blue

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    There is NO rubber grommet/washer that goes here (someone did that aftermarket). Look closely at the plastic cover - you will see the indentations on either side of the hole for the latch rod. This part of the plastic should fit into the groove (or under the lip) of the adjustment nut. As Greg said, you need to love on it a little to get it to fit. If it doesn't fit, then the rod is too far out - check the alignment and adjust accordingly.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    911 + E31
    I bought rubber washers and glued them into place.

My Cars
    BMW850CI M73 1995
    Can`t understand how to get this under the lip of the adj.nut. But I will adjust and give it a try tomorrow...
    Or do like you did Koizumi. Thin rubberwashers then...one under and one over? I can`t really see how. Funny that this could be so difficult. The germans don`t usually seem to miss anything
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thor-Egil, Norway

Petrol Mica Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast