Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which E36 production runs had LSD?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Erm if you lift both rear wheels with it in gear and an LSD they won't turn together...……..they won't turn, turning opposite if a normal diff is true so half right

If you lift both back wheels and don't have it in gear they can both turn same way even with a diff not an LSD

One back wheel off the floor will do fine. In neutral you may be able to slowly turn one wheel against the clutch packs.
    With it in gear it is IMPOSSIBLE to turn the wheel without turning over the engine if it is an open diff.
    Very easy to tell bearing in mind how easy open diffs turn by comparison
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Very few if any US spec 328's came with an LSD, my friends does but it could have been swapped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    ...I'm pretty positive that bmw did not offer lsd with a traction control system since it nullifies use for half of the tcs...
    Every US spec M3 3.2 has ASC+T and an LSD from factory.

ASC+T can be turned off.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The idea is if it's in gear you will see them spin the opposite. If it's lsd then you will be able to tell by the break away torque. They do spin. Even worn lsd will spin the sane direction, just with less break away torque until ther is no catch at all. Which is when they will act as an open.
    And I didn't think we are talking about m3,. As I'm sure your aware that wasn't a true statement for non m.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    ...And I didn't think we are talking about m3,. As I'm sure your aware that wasn't a true statement for non m.
    M or no M isn't relevant.

It works the same for both. If it didn't work, why would BMW have kept the ASC+T on the US M3's, while at the same time fitting an LSD? Might as well drop the LSD then.

My 328i also has ASC+T and I fitted a 2.93 LSD years ago. I can choose to let ASC interfear or not with the LSD action. On normal driving, the ASC never kicks in and I still benefit from the extra traction the LSD gives me.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    M or no M isn't relevant.

It works the same for both. If it didn't work, why would BMW have kept the ASC+T on the US M3's, while at the same time fitting an LSD? Might as well drop the LSD then.
    Maybe marketing because it wasn't a combo in Europe AFAIK. Heck the E46 LSD gets to do nothing with DSC on. Marketing trumps sense. Can't let your rich skill less buyers hurt themselves.

In US it may be simpler - people expect M3s to have LSDs but in reality the US car is more 328 sport increased CC and dressed up. It would have been a 330 if sold in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    My 328i also has ASC+T and I fitted a 2.93 LSD years ago.
    AFAIK they dropped the LSD on Euro cars when adding the TC because A it's cheaper and B it doesn't get a chance to work with TC on.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Maybe marketing because it wasn't a combo in Europe AFAIK. Heck the E46 LSD gets to do nothing with DSC on. Marketing trumps sense. Can't let your rich skill less buyers hurt themselves.

In US it may be simpler - people expect M3s to have LSDs but in reality the US car is more 328 sport increased CC and dressed up. It would have been a 330 if sold in Europe

AFAIK they dropped the LSD on Euro cars when adding the TC because A it's cheaper and B it doesn't get a chance to work with TC on.
    I’ve mentioned 330i/332i in the past here and it got ugly very quickly.

Yes that is how it went. First LSD as an option, the ASC introduced as an option, so you could opt either or none, but not both. Then ASC became factory fitted and the LSD was dropped.

IG:

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Applying the brakes from the asc+t to a lsd might not be conducive to the desired outcome given most scenarios that are why there is a loss of traction in the first place. Leaving the throttle device as the only necessary component of asc+t in my understanding to gain rear wheel traction, which also is more of a dummy controller for those that probably shouldn't be driving at all if they don't understand tires are spinning and not gripping.
    I understand it working perfectly fine as a rudimentary form of launch control in performance, but for other more practical reasons, not so much.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Application of rear brakes only works up to 40km/h (25mph) according to BMW.

And before the ASC closes throttle, you’re have to go silly. Once again, LSD works just fine with ASC. Just turn it off once in snow/ice to take full LSD effect.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    ^ And therein lies the problems with it. If you need to turn it off for snow and ice why would you EVER have it on, turning it on in the better conditions de-skills the driver for the bad conditions lol
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 10-10-2018 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw e36 328is m yet no m
    I have a Bmw e36 328is with the like m sport package but it’s not the M so all of the m body panels and stuff but still the 2.8 i6 I think I might have an lsd but the cluches might be worn out or something because I launched it hard hard from a stop sign into a turn but when I went back I saw the both of my tires left marks and then only one did. But I live in co and we got our good amount of snow but I was spinning one wheel while flooring it in the ice if I have the lsd and I jack it up will both wheels still spin or will one just not spin or will it go backwards like on an open diff but it isn’t one. But yeah I’m new to cars and before I decide too spend 800 dollars on an m3 limited slip I want to make Shure that I don’t already have one. btw it’s a 1999 model if that helps
    Last edited by Beam beam; 01-05-2022 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something that could be important

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    This topic explains how you can check it. Do I dare to ask if you read everything?

And 328i with M aerodynamic option doesn't mean you have an LSD. There should be a metal tab behind one of the cover bolts that will say 2.93 (328i final drive ratio) assuming it was never taken off.

But easiest test is to put it in gear then try and turn either side. In gear is important as neutral could give you a false positive. And unless pre-load would be completely toast and clutches worn down (then it doesn't matter because for all intents and purposes it wil be open anyways) you shouldn't be able to turn a wheel in either direction. If you have an open diff you will be able to turn it and the other side will turn in the opposite direction.

IG:

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    X
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 01-09-2022 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Still alive I see. Very good. Very good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234