Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Zip Ties = I6 Driver's Side Headlight Adjuster FTW

My Cars
    2003 525i

5 Zip Ties = I6 Driver's Side Headlight Adjuster FTW

When I bought my e39, the driver's side headlight adjuster was broken. So for three years I have used five, eleven inch zip ties available here:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://alliedlocksafe.com/shop/index...469#googlebase

I was blind at night as my driver's side headlight was aiming straight down, perhaps just a few feet in front of my own bumper.

Triangles.

Most sturdy structures.

Using a high tech formula of triangulation and 5, 11" zip ties, my driver's side headlight is spot on.

I used them and then, BEFORE I made my final calculations, aka pulling on the zip ties to dial-in the headlight's aim, I drove to a brick wall at night with:

1). Flashlight
    2). Chalk or masking tape
    3). Tape measure

There is a procedure and if adhered to, you can tug/pull aka shorten ZIP TIE NUMBERS 1 AND 2 in order to have the lamp properly aimed both vertically and horizontally (see photos attached below).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 09-29-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003 525i
    1). Zip Tie # 1 is key and should be first. It goes under the intake tube and uses a metal bracket behind/under the fresh air intake. Leave it long, but zip it together to make a loop.

2). Zip Ties # 4 and 5 are next. Criss-cross them around each other on the fresh air intake tube. Make them snug, but leave them loose enough that your finger could slide under them.

3). Zip Tie # 2 slides under Zip Tie # 4. Leave # 2 long, but zip it.

4). Zip Tie # 4 and 5 are now tightened very tightly.

5). Zip Tie # 3 loops around the base of the bulb's housing and loops through Zip Ties # 1 and 2.

Drive to wall at night, adhere to BMW headlight specs above and snug down/tighten zip tie numbers 1,2 and 3 accordingly.

Cost is $2.00
    Time is 15 minutes
    DIY scale of 1-10...this is a ZERO.
    Longevity? Mine work for 3 years in a row.

There is enough attachment areas on the passenger side to do the same. I do not have to as my passenger side is fine.

I would prefer buying real adjusters from EAC Tuning and will do so in the future. Still, I need better lamps overall as my bulbs (H7) are weak...
    Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 09-30-2009 at 12:24 PM.

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    gettho me like it
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    2003 525i

Need 5, not 4 zip ties...even in Panama

Quote Originally Posted by xisco44 View Post
    gettho me like it
    This is high-tech stuff xisco. I am using German-made zip ties.

NOTE: To those in Panama etc who think, "I can do better. I can do this with 4 zip ties" understand that zip ties 4 and 5 need to be there. You can't have just one of them and eliminate # 5. The #5 zip tie keeps it all together and prevents the zip tie assembly from sliding around.

So xisco, don't ghetto-up this process!

1). Zip tie # 2 makes the vertical adjustment.
    2). Playing with # 1, 2 and mainly 3 make the horizontal adjustment.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 09-29-2009 at 02:48 PM.

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    i have the duct tape and epoxy method is a little more permanent thou
    so if your bulb dies there is no replacing it
    96 318is Sport --sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    I don't know why, but I think Xisco may really love this DIY................

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 525i
    i have the duct tape and epoxy method is a little more permanent thou
    so if your bulb dies there is no replacing it
    If I am ever Skeletor for Halloween, you can be Beast Man.

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    i dont celebrate halloween thats the devils fest
    96 318is Sport --sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    i dont celebrate halloween thats the devils fest
    a lo mejor puedas disfrazar tu carro con este DIY para haloween y listo.....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    Great stuff....now somebody buy my OEM Hella headlights.

: )

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    send me a pm with the how much
    96 318is Sport --sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    LOL!
    Good stuff!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    way better than paying 100 + to fix adjuster
    96 318is Sport --sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Should this go in the DIY section? Hmmm.

Thanks for sharing this, Keith.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    This is high-tech stuff xisco. I am using German-made zip ties.

NOTE: To those in Panama etc who think, "I can do better. I can do this with 4 zip ties" understand that zip ties 4 and 5 need to be there. You can't have just one of them and eliminate # 5. The #5 zip tie keeps it all together and prevents the zip tie assembly from sliding around.

So xisco, don't ghetto-up this process!

1). Zip tie # 2 makes the vertical adjustment.
    2). Playing with # 1, 2 and mainly 3 make the horizontal adjustment.
    You guys crack me up You two should get together and make a show or something.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    You guys crack me up You two should get together and make a show or something.
    Haha... hell yeah they should, I would watch it

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5
    May someone explain how to do this a little more clear please as my headlights are in dire need of adjustment?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealet23 View Post
    May someone explain how to do this a little more clear please as my headlights are in dire need of adjustment?
    You own a 540 and under it's hood isn't something I look at/own. Oh I dream of v8 engines, Jennifer Connelly, Joanna Krupa (worth google-imaging fyi) egg rolls with duck sauce and winning the Tour de France,but it's something I don't own. Specifically, the area around your headlights might very well be different than my own. So let's do this...gaze deeply at the photos above, grab some zip ties and make it happen.

Also, aside, it would be, "May someone explain how to do this a little more clearly." And it'd sound even better with, "May someone explain more clearly how to do this..."

My friend, a bunch of wildcat pilots flew to the moon in a can of tuna with some rocket boosters and a ham radio. You can do this. Necessity is the mother of invention. Watch The Right Stuff (when you have 4.5 free hours as it's epic in length) order some zip ties and I have faith in ye. Since the Red Sox suck, you can always drive down to NY for a game and we can fix your headlights in the Bronx.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 09-30-2009 at 09:52 PM.

My Cars
    97 z3 1.9M, 96 328ia
    You own a 540 and under it's hood isn't something I look at/own. Oh I dream of v8 engines, Jennifer Connelly, Joanna Krupa (worth google-imaging fyi) egg rolls with duck sauce and winning the Tour de France,but it's something I don't own. Specifically, the area around your headlights might very well be different than my own. So let's do this...gaze deeply at the photos above, grab some zip ties and make it happen.

Also, aside, it would be, "May someone explain how to do this a little more clearly." And it'd sound even better with, "May someone explain more clearly how to do this..."

My friend, a bunch of wildcat pilots flew to the moon in a can of tuna with some rocket boosters and a ham radio. You can do this. Necessity is the mother of invention. Watch The Right Stuff (when you have 4.5 free hours as it's epic in length) order some zip ties and I have faith in ye. Since the Red Sox suck, you can always drive down to NY for a game and we can fix your headlights in the Bronx.
    you are a motha f**kin' pimp!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5
    wow...youre a tool....

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealet23 View Post
    wow...youre a tool....
    You're new here. At least attempt a shot at wit before your mouth exposes the lack of keenness. You're asking to have zip-tie-solutions prepared for you a). more clearly b). when the thread clearly states it's not for a 540 only I6 engine bays and c). all you truly need to do is grap some zip ties while making an attempt to fix your own headlights where d). golly gee you can then post about it and contribute to the forum.

Fix your headlights. Spend time using the most important tool, the brain, combined with a few, cheesy zip ties and I imagine you might be able to help yourself.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy

My version of bimmerfiver's DIY

This is for the passenger's side. 1997 528i with Hella AAs.

It's even cheaper because I only had to use 2 zip ties, and made in the US, not German
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    2004 325xiT
    Thanks for this DIY! I was trying to figure out a way to ghetto rig it myself. My wifes car has both messed up and I read up on replacing the adjusters...way too much work. I need to get some zip ties. Right now I have both lights rigged up with some extra long twisties that came off a hose I just bought. Man, I was about to buy her new headlights!!
    1997 528i: My intro to Bimmers
    '99 ///M3: I.LOVE.THIS.CAR. - SOLD ... why did I do that?
    2002 325xi Wagon - SOLD
    2004 325xi Wagon - New Wagon, Same Old Issues

My Cars
    '02 530i & '09 335d
    do you sell these in a kit?

My Cars
    '61 A-Body
    Thanks for the DIY.
    I've been using mini-bungie chords which lose their tension after about 6 months.

Not a firearms expert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast