Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How To: Modify a VAGcom KKL Cable for use with your BMW

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyo92 View Post
    Any ideas how could I work with BMW e36 compact using VAG-COM KKL adapter? I can read with it ABS, SRS, body electronics and etc., but cannot connect to DME. Seems to be Motronic1.7.2. As I understand cable has L-line, but how to access to dme?

- - - Updated - - -

And also i had tried all programs like, INPA, Carsoft, BMW Scanner Demo and still nothing.
    I had downloaded Carsoft 6.1 from a russian site and found this picture. What it means any ideas?
    [img]http://www.****************.net/t/f4mmu.jpg[/img]
    Wow, i have the OPPOSITE Problem!all i can read is the DME & clear it

The short answer is to get both cables (we already have one).

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky1 View Post
    Wow, i have the OPPOSITE Problem!all i can read is the DME & clear it

The short answer is to get both cables (we already have one).
    Are you connecting under the hood at the 20-pin connector? You should be.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    I got the tiny ADS, a retro laptop xp w/ 9 pin serial. I can read/clear modules. Oddly, it wouldn't read dme until I selected the non US ads/OBD option....

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    This is helpful but confusing. Perhaps someone can tell me if this is possible?

I have a VAGCOM KKL cable with a FT232R chip in the interface. I have a 2005 E60 and need mod the cable so I can use it to do some programming. Currently I get no battery or ignition dots in INPA so I assume I have to do a mod.

Can someone tell me what mod I need to do? From reading here I think it is shorting pin 7 & 8. Most of the pictures in previous posts are gone so it is hard to know what is right.

Any help is appreciated.
    1998 E39-528i, 2005 E60-545i

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    All you should need to do is bridge pins 7&8 to see all the modules.

I think your '05 is still K-line so the Vag cable should be OK but at some point the E60s' become DCAN cars. Don't know crap about E60s so apologies I can't say for sure. If you need a DCAN cable then the K+DCAN cables are cheap and plentifully available. One option is to just buy one anyway as they will have 7&8 bridged already and be ready to go.

Re: ignition sense, if you just want to use INPA and NCSExpert it isn't strictly necessary. Its stuff like DIS and Progman that get fussy about wanting to check that you REALLY turned ignition on/off etc. For most part INPA and NCSExpert will just do what you tell them so it's not needed.

For your VAG cable, if you do want real ignition sensing, you need to mod it with a little transistor & resistor circuit on the board which is what these threads are all about.
    You can 'fake' ignition sensing by forcing certain OBD pins high in the driver software using some FTDI utilities. This is also in the threads.

Decision tree...

Is car DCAN or do you ever want to do DCAN cars?
    Yes - Buy new BMW K+DCAN Cable, toss VAG cable in back of closet
    No - Continue on...

Do you really need ignition sense?
    Yes gotta gotta must have - OK do you want do do it the easy way or hard way or the quick hack way?
    Easy - Buy new BMW K+DCAN Cable, toss VAG cable in back of closet
    Hard - Fork around with modding your VAG cable, check to be sure 7&8 bridged at the same time
    Quick Hack - Use FTDI drivers to fake ignition sense per other threads & check 7&8 bridged
    Meh don't need - just check 7&8 bridged on VAG cable, continue on with life
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    FTR232R chips can be modded by programming using MPROG to emulate battery and ignition signals, the FTR232B chip needs a little circuit added to allow true ignition signal detection.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    yep he said he had the "R"...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    FTR232R chips can be modded by programming using MPROG to emulate battery and ignition signals, the FTR232B chip needs a little circuit added to allow true ignition signal detection.
    I have that chip,on my cable and I can't get it to work on the obd2 port of my e36. The obd2 port is k line only. I've tried using MPROG. Still no luck. I'm tempted to get a cable with the RL chip.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I have that chip,on my cable and I can't get it to work on the obd2 port of my e36. The obd2 port is k line only. I've tried using MPROG. Still no luck. I'm tempted to get a cable with the RL chip.
    Do you mean that you have the "B" chip with the circuit mod?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I have the R chip. Not the RL chip. No mods to the cable except for running MPROG

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Pins 7 & 8 also need to be bridged. I haven't looked at the data sheet, what incarnation of the R chip do you have (R*??)
    Last edited by David Mc; 05-01-2016 at 06:47 PM.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i, 05 E60 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    All you should need to do is bridge pins 7&8 to see all the modules.

I think your '05 is still K-line so the Vag cable should be OK but at some point the E60s' become DCAN cars. Don't know crap about E60s so apologies I can't say for sure. If you need a DCAN cable then the K+DCAN cables are cheap and plentifully available. One option is to just buy one anyway as they will have 7&8 bridged already and be ready to go.

Re: ignition sense, if you just want to use INPA and NCSExpert it isn't strictly necessary. Its stuff like DIS and Progman that get fussy about wanting to check that you REALLY turned ignition on/off etc. For most part INPA and NCSExpert will just do what you tell them so it's not needed.

For your VAG cable, if you do want real ignition sensing, you need to mod it with a little transistor & resistor circuit on the board which is what these threads are all about.
    You can 'fake' ignition sensing by forcing certain OBD pins high in the driver software using some FTDI utilities. This is also in the threads.

Decision tree...

Is car DCAN or do you ever want to do DCAN cars?
    Yes - Buy new BMW K+DCAN Cable, toss VAG cable in back of closet
    No - Continue on...

Do you really need ignition sense?
    Yes gotta gotta must have - OK do you want do do it the easy way or hard way or the quick hack way?
    Easy - Buy new BMW K+DCAN Cable, toss VAG cable in back of closet
    Hard - Fork around with modding your VAG cable, check to be sure 7&8 bridged at the same time
    Quick Hack - Use FTDI drivers to fake ignition sense per other threads & check 7&8 bridged
    Meh don't need - just check 7&8 bridged on VAG cable, continue on with life
    Very hepful info. I am leaning towards the: Meh don't need - just check 7&8 bridged on cable, continue on with life simply because I don't want to wait for days. My goal is to fix the head unit issues and eventually to fully update all module software.
    1998 E39-528i, 2005 E60-545i

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Pins 7 & 8 also need to be bridged. I haven't looked at the data sheet, what incarnation of the R chip do you have (R*??)
    Ok let's review.

97 e36 with both 16 pin and 20 pin.
    The cap is on the 20 pin
    USB KKL cable with the RL chip
    KKL cable attached to the 16 pin port
    Pins 7/8 are bridged
    Used MPROG to program the chip.....verified the programming installed on to the chip
    Tried programming with the 2 check marks in the correct boxes
    Tried programming with the 2 check marks removed
    Latency timer set to 1
    OBD ini file created and saved in EDIABSS bin folder
    Correct com port listed in OBD ini

INPA does not see ignition or power. I'm using my install of INPA that I've used hundreds of times with an ADS interface.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I know you are not a newb at this, so I assume that when using your KKL cable, you also have the interface type listed in EDIABAS.ini as STD:OBD and have run OBDSetup from c:\EDIABAS\Hardware. Just trying to figure out why your KKL is not seeing the emulated battery and ignition signal but since Interface= ADS inverts the signal, this could be a possible explanation.
    Last edited by David Mc; 05-03-2016 at 02:41 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    +1 for run C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD\OBDSetup.exe as administrator
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    EDIABAS.ini is set to OBD:STD.

Do I gave to run OBD hardware setup every time I change settings? I ran it when I first installed INPA.

Is this the correct location for the OBD ini file? It's in EDIABAS bin.

The cable says on the label

K-DCAN
    INPA COMPATIBLE

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    EDIABAS.ini is set to OBD:STD.

Do I gave to run OBD hardware setup every time I change settings? I ran it when I first installed INPA.

Is this the correct location for the OBD ini file? It's in EDIABAS bin.

The cable says on the label

K-DCAN
    INPA COMPATIBLE
    Whoa. Stop.

You have the K+DCAN cable. Put the MProg settings back. That cable has real detection of ignition and battery.
    That isn't the VAG KKL cable.

Stock K+DCAN settings

clear cable settings mprog.jpg

But yes, you would need to run either the OBDSetup when switching to OBD, or ADSSetup when switching to ADS mode.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 05-03-2016 at 11:40 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Nope. No such luck. I tried every possible setting. Still no power or ignition.

My Cars
    X1 s20d
    Couple of somewhat urgent questions - Any help would be greatly appreciated

I need to disable one of the keys on my e84 (2012 model) - The key seems to been misplaced but I am unsure if it is whereabouts
    The local dealer (Pune , India) says that they can disable the key but it would be permanently disabled which I find odd and would therefore prefer to do it myself

I understand that a DIS setup would enable me to do the same at my end

Q1) Is that understanding correct – Also, what module would I need to access/program to disable a key

Unfortunately, D-CAN cables are not available locally on eBay or Amazon but VAG-COM cables are.
    I am reasonably comfortable with soldering so I am open to modding the cable

Q2) For the modules I need to access for disabling a key, would a VAG-com cable work as-is – If not, what is the kind of modding I would need to do (i.e. just soldering two pins (easy) or reprogramming the FTDI chip (easy) or the mod involving adding a resistor and transistor (not so easy))

On a side note, the BMW workshop has given me a quote of 22000 INR (approx. $350 USD) for a new keyfob while an indy has given me a quote of 5000 INR (approx. $75 USD)
    I am inclined to go with the Indy but if I do, I would prefer to validate through DIS if the Indy guy hasn’t created spare active fobs as well J
    Last edited by abhi182; 06-21-2016 at 04:15 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
    PLEASE start your own thread. That is a whole detailed specific question of its own having NOTHING to do with this thread WHATSOEVER - this thread is supposed to be about cable mods NOT a random place for every jackass to put his car problems.

You don't do your own question any justice anyway, since people who MAY have the exact answers you need might not even click into the thread at all because the damn thread title is about cable mods and while they can tell you ALL ABOUT your key problem, they not have no interest in cable mods.

That goes for every other jackass that piles in on the wrong thread too by the way.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    X1 s20d
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    PLEASE start your own thread. That is a whole detailed specific question of its own having NOTHING to do with this thread WHATSOEVER - this thread is supposed to be about cable mods NOT a random place for every jackass to put his car problems.

You don't do your own question any justice anyway, since people who MAY have the exact answers you need might not even click into the thread at all because the damn thread title is about cable mods and while they can tell you ALL ABOUT your key problem, they not have no interest in cable mods.

That goes for every other jackass that piles in on the wrong thread too by the way.
    I am not sure what brought about this sudden barrage of name calling - I guess politeness is a lost art around here

If only you would have been reasonable enough to actually read the question, you would have (hopefully) realized that the question is largely about the fact that:

a) Would part I of the VAG COM mod (i.e. soldering the two pins , 8 and 9 or whatever they were) would enable the VAG COM cable to manage the specific modules required for this

b) Or does one need part II that enables battery and ignition links (i.e. the Transistor + Resistor mod) for the VAG COM to achieve this

If that does not make this VAG-COM mod related, I guess I am a jackass indeed!
    Instead, you chose to read the first couple of lines (which were just meant to set the context) and jump to a conclusion
    Last edited by abhi182; 06-22-2016 at 06:05 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

I need to disable one of the keys on my e84 (2012 model) - The key seems to been misplaced but I am unsure if it is whereabouts
    The local dealer (Pune , India) says that they can disable the key but it would be permanently disabled which I find odd and would therefore prefer to do it myself

I understand that a DIS setup would enable me to do the same at my end

Q1) Is that understanding correct – Also, what module would I need to access/program to disable a key

Unfortunately, D-CAN cables are not available locally on eBay or Amazon but VAG-COM cables are.
    I am reasonably comfortable with soldering so I am open to modding the cable

Q2) For the modules I need to access for disabling a key, would a VAG-com cable work as-is – If not, what is the kind of modding I would need to do (i.e. just soldering two pins (easy) or reprogramming the FTDI chip (easy) or the mod involving adding a resistor and transistor (not so easy))

On a side note, the BMW workshop has given me a quote of 22000 INR (approx. $350 USD) for a new keyfob while an indy has given me a quote of 5000 INR (approx. $75 USD)
    I am inclined to go with the Indy but if I do, I would prefer to validate through DIS if the Indy guy hasn’t created spare active fobs as well J
    VAGCOM cable can only be used for BMWs 2007 and earlier.

Also, DIS will not work with your car. Your car is too new, DIS is too old.
    Also the key matching on your new car requires much more complicated cables and software. It is cheaper to let someone else do it.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

necro bump,
    this is also applicable to kwp2000+ so in-case you have one of these laying around thinking it's useless,
    give it a shot.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...8#post29409158

My Cars
    2001 e46 M3 Convertible
    Just read through this and still not sure what I need to do. I just got a K+DCAN cable with the 232R chip in it. I have a 2001 M3 6MT Vert 07/01 build date. I'm able to get battery and ignition to read in INPA but not able to read airbag module and NCSExpert is unable to read the ECU. I get faulty VIN and COAPI-2020 error. I think I need to solder 7&8 together and I don't think I need to touch 17/18/20. Is that correct or did I miss something? Thanks Rick.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlnamemike View Post
    Just read through this and still not sure what I need to do. I just got a K+DCAN cable with the 232R chip in it. I have a 2001 M3 6MT Vert 07/01 build date. I'm able to get battery and ignition to read in INPA but not able to read airbag module and NCSExpert is unable to read the ECU. I get faulty VIN and COAPI-2020 error. I think I need to solder 7&8 together and I don't think I need to touch 17/18/20. Is that correct or did I miss something? Thanks Rick.
    Yes pins 7&8 of OBD cable must be bridged for your car.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast