Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How To: Modify a VAGcom KKL Cable for use with your BMW

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoE46 View Post
    Maybe that you don't have a ADS interface but a K line interface... ?
    That's exactly the problem....doesn't matter if you put the software in ADS "mode"....you actually need an ADS Interface in order for it to work.

My Cars
    bmw 730 e32bmw 325is e30
    Scuze my because i'm laite whit the anser.tank's you
    But the vagg-com does not work in ads mod ?it's need to make another modifaction for that ?or i mast to buy a new interface for to work in ads mod and evetual an convertor usb to serial if the interface work whit serial port?

My Cars
    x3 2L 177hp diesel
    UP
    I could show my german car but I prefer to show an italian product ...my wife's boobs

My Cars
    1995 BMW e36 compact m43
    Any ideas how could I work with BMW e36 compact using VAG-COM KKL adapter? I can read with it ABS, SRS, body electronics and etc., but cannot connect to DME. Seems to be Motronic1.7.2. As I understand cable has L-line, but how to access to dme?

- - - Updated - - -

And also i had tried all programs like, INPA, Carsoft, BMW Scanner Demo and still nothing.
    I had downloaded Carsoft 6.1 from a russian site and found this picture. What it means any ideas?
    [img]http://www.****************.net/t/f4mmu.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by sanyo92; 04-01-2013 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    E36 requires an ADS interface in order to access all modules. A modified VAG-COM cable will not access the DME in some 4 cylinder cars or the ABS in 6 cylinder cars.

My Cars
    1995 BMW e36 compact m43
    Thanks. Will try to make DIY ADS interface.

Hi everyone stupid question.... can i use a vagcom cable modified with the bmw scanner 1.4 software? I been reading but can find anything thanks in adv

My Cars
    E36 M52B20
    Hi all. I have modified my Vagcom cable with the transistor+resistor mod. But the problem is, INPA works even without the mod. How do I disable INPA bypassing ignition auto-detection? I went into C:\EDIABAS\BIN and commented out the //UBAT=OFF setting. But still INPA works even though in the home page Ignition and Battery has two white circles.

My Cars
    1995 BMW e36 compact m43
    Made DIY ADS interface, all works fine with inpa 5.00 but only thing i cannot access wits my cable is instrument cluster. Inpa says it is no connection. Anyone help?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyo92 View Post
    but only thing i cannot access wits my cable is instrument cluster.
    I have never been able to connect to my sons 95' 318Ti instrument cluster either. (US model)
    But no problem with my daughters 94' 325i.... go figure.

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    E36 requires an ADS interface in order to access all modules. A modified VAG-COM cable will not access the DME in some 4 cylinder cars or the ABS in 6 cylinder cars.

I have an e36 (1995 325ica) From reading your posts and researching the web, it seems, If you want to access all modules, you would need the pricey ads board, true for other L line models(e36, etc) 1996 and prior. One seller on ebay is suggesting that once pin 15 is occupied (test if there is voltage, 11v) on your 20 pin (pacman) connector) then you must use the ads board, to see all modules. Some people have had success accessing some, but not all, modules with the modified Vagcom cable and the 20 pin adapter. I am not sure if this question has been asked, but what happens if you use BMW INPA EDIABAS K-Line Serial Interface(i.e, RS232 K-Line) with the 20 pin adapter on e36? What modules can be viewed? Do you get the same vehicle recognition problems?
    Has anyone used a pcmcia serial adapter or a serial to usb converter cable without any problems?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    What modules you can access with a modded VAG-COM cable will vary between models and years. Usually you can access DME but not ABS etc on 6 cyl. cars but cannot access DME on 4 cyl. models or Diesels. There are only a couple of PCMCIA cards that work, but these are hard to find and will make even the best ADS interface look cheap by comparison, USB to Serial cards are not an option and realistically, a true serial port is the best, most reliable option. A BMW INPA EDIABAS K-Line serial interface will access the same modules as a modded VAG-COM cable.

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    There are only a couple of PCMCIA cards that work, but these are hard to find and will make even the best ADS interface look cheap by comparison, USB to Serial cards are not an option and realistically, a true serial port is the best, most reliable option. A BMW INPA EDIABAS K-Line serial interface will access the same modules as a modded VAG-COM cable.
    David
    Thanks for the timely and clear feedback

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740IL
    Hey guys, i have inpa setup on my laptop, i have a tru serial port but i did not get the ads cable yet, i do have the blue usb cable and the 20 pin adapter, do anybody know how i can have it work through inpa? I need to know how to basically install it into inpa i guess so i can read well anything for that matter, help would be deeply appreciated.

Update- usb to obd to 20 pin adapter.
    Last edited by WarMachine7; 10-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You need to open c:\EDIABAS\Bin, locate EDIABAS.ini and use Notepad to modify the Interface = *** line to read Interface = STD:OBD. Then open c:\EDIABAS\Hardware and run OBD setup. This cable and (Blue USB) interface combination will not access all of the modules in your car regardless of what software changes you make.

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    This cable and (Blue USB) interface combination will not access all of the modules in your car regardless of what software changes you make.

I am using an unmodified Vag.com (KKL for 409.1) that I got off ebay on my It uses the CH3401 chip, not FDTI with the FT232RL chip) and has pins 4,7, 15, and 16 wired. With Inpa, I can only access the Air bag module. Most of the other moduleS return IFH 003 Data transmission to interface disturbed. Com port has been set to 1 and Fifo buffers checked with size of 8 and OBD and Ediabas inis adjusted accordingly. i suspect this Chinese version Vag.com cable may be my problem. From looking a the early 1995 e36 20 pin wiring I should see a lot more modules with an unmodified Vag.com cable Also, looks like I wont get access to DME, regardless of the interface. as I am getting a IFH-0006 command not accepted.engine dme 331, dme 331k20 not found plus Error (95) SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND, However, DME331k20.prg is in C:\EDIABAS\ECU and its path is in Ediabas.ini .Any one had any luck with the Chinese Vag.com cable with CH3401 chip?

Early 1995 E36 20 pin
    1* TDsignal (EGRS, DME, ABS)
    7 Oil service and inspection reset
    12* Generator charge indicator
    14 12V
    15 RXD (L Line)
    16 IGN 12V
    17* Not occupied
    18* Programming line (PGSP) wired to Engine Control, DME.
    19 GND
    20 K line (1) (D_TXD1)
    *difference between early 1995 and 1996 and later 20 pin connectors
    Late 1995 20 pin to OBD2 pin-out
    ODBII -----------------------BMW Round 20 Pin
    Pins 4,5-----------------------Pin 19
    Pin 7--------------------------Pins 17, 20 (K-Lines)
    Pin 15-------------------------Pin 15
    Pin 16-------------------------Pin 14

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyo92 View Post
    Made DIY ADS interface, all works fine with inpa 5.00 but only thing i cannot access wits my cable is instrument cluster. Inpa says it is no connection. Anyone help?
    4 cylinder cars have a port on the instrument cluster itself, they will not communicate with any of the typical diagnostic stuff....they physically can't, they aren't connected.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggyd View Post
    I am using an unmodified Vag.com (KKL for 409.1)
    You might as well stop right there...nothing you do modified/un-modifed, doesn't matter, it's not going to work. You need a true ADS Interface (not an adapter).

However, DME331k20.prg is in C:\EDIABAS\ECU and its path is in Ediabas.ini
    Look to see if there is a plain DME331.prg file in there. (C:\EDIABAS\ECU)
    Also check for a DME331.IPO file. (C:\INPA\SGDAT)

- - - Updated - - -

Late 1995 20 pin to OBD2 pin-out
    ODBII -----------------------BMW Round 20 Pin
    Pins 4,5-----------------------Pin 19 (Ground)
    Pin 7--------------------------Pins 17, 20 (K-Lines)
    Pin 15-------------------------Pin 15 (L-Line)
    Pin 16-------------------------Pin 14 (12v, Battery)
    Should also have -
    Pin 1--------------------------Pin 16 (Ignition)

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    4 cylinder cars have a port on the instrument cluster itself, they will not communicate with any of the typical diagnostic stuff....they physically can't, they aren't connected.

- - - Updated - - -

You might as well stop right there...nothing you do modified/un-modifed, doesn't matter, it's not going to work. You need a true ADS Interface (not an adapter).

Look to see if there is a plain DME331.prg file in there. (C:\EDIABAS\ECU)
    Also check for a DME331.IPO file. (C:\INPA\SGDAT)

- - - Updated - - -

Should also have -
    Pin 1--------------------------Pin 16 (Ignition)
    I have a 1995 325ica (6cyl) . From what I have read, there are some modules you get with an unMod Vag.com. KKL cable. In addition, I have read others having problems with modules using ADS! Here is what have been posted
    "All E36 94-99 with unmodifled VAGCOM cable (Interface=STD:OBD Hadware = USB or OBD) plus 16 to 20 pin adaptor you can access
    DME yes
    ZKE yes
    PDC yes
    HVAC yes
    KOMBI No
    ABS/ASC No IanS- Yes EVO
    Cabrio module Can't remember
    Airbag Can't remember
    RAD No
    OBC Never tried
    EGS Never tried"

Only the file I have stated DME331k20.prg is in C:\EDIABAS\ECU
    Yes,DME331.IPO file. (C:\INPA\SGDAT) is there.
    I am not too worried about the Engine module. I can access this by pressing on the gas pedal rapidly
    with the ignition on and get the check engine to flash the error codes. The only one I have is the oxygen sensor
    The OBD2 pinout I have shown is what I have verified from pulling apart the adapter. I have seen pin 1(ignition) showed on diagrams, but I guess,
    If I need it, I would have to solder pins one and 16

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Where are you getting this from?? You do need an ADS interface and a true serial port in order to access all modules on an E36, as your VAG COM cable will only access K Line modules (trust me, I have CARSOFT, VAG COM and ADS interfaces and have used them all). Don't get too carried away with OBD as this is a US initiative, with which BMW only comply to the extent required by law.
    The information accessible from the round 20 pin port on 1995 E36 goes way beyond requirements for OBD 1, which only required access to emissions related information. You will also find that most 16 to 20 pin "adaptor" cables only contain 4 connections, whereas the 20 pin round BMW diagnostic port has connections to 7 pins. The "adaptor" normally rationalises all K line communication by tying the 2 K line pins together and normally disposes of true ignition signal sensing by using an emulated signal based on battery power being present. Since the L line is only used with ADS compliant cars, it often does not even rate a connection.
    The reason that ADS does not function properly through a USB port has to do with the way in which USB based adaptors emulate serial port signals - there are only a couple that do this accurately enough to effectively translate ADS signals, but these are expensive and hard to find.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    The OBD2 pinout I have shown is what I have verified from pulling apart the adapter.
    And this is why I mentioned it.
    Many of the cheap 20 pin adapters lack the OBD Pin 1------Round Pin 16 wire and it will cause problems down the road. (with any interface capable of true ignition detection)
    You may even find a cut green wire inside the wire loom itself, they should have used that one and eliminated a lot of frustration for folks.

And you will most likely need that DME331.PRG file in order to proceed with the DME anyways.

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    Where are you getting this from?? You do need an ADS interface and a true serial port in order to access all modules on an E36, as your VAG COM cable will only access K Line modules (trust me, I have CARSOFT, VAG COM and ADS interfaces and have used them all). Don't get too carried away with OBD as this is a US initiative, with which BMW only comply to the extent required by law.
    The information accessible from the round 20 pin port on 1995 E36 goes way beyond requirements for OBD 1, which only required access to emissions related information. You will also find that most 16 to 20 pin "adaptor" cables only contain 4 connections, whereas the 20 pin round BMW diagnostic port has connections to 7 pins. The "adaptor" normally rationalises all K line communication by tying the 2 K line pins together and normally disposes of true ignition signal sensing by using an emulated signal based on battery power being present. Since the L line is only used with ADS compliant cars, it often does not even rate a connection.
    The reason that ADS does not function properly through a USB port has to do with the way in which USB based adaptors emulate serial port signals - there are only a couple that do this accurately enough to effectively translate ADS signals, but these are expensive and hard to find.
    Guys, I have read through all the comments on this thread. I know ADS is supposed to to give full access and a serial port is besr. Look @ my past comments. What I asking is that with the umod vag.com cable and an obd2 adapter I should see some modules on my 6 cyl 36. The bmw software may be written for the FDTI chip?. Hence, my question has anyone had success with this chip I mentioned CH3401, My question is not limited to just my case with 1995 6 cyl e36. but for later models as well. The OBD2 adapter wiring I showed was met with success by other users . Look @ the earlier posts on this thread. If there is an, obd2 adapter with the four wires I showed plus with the 16 and wired to pin 1, please provide the link
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 11-05-2013 at 08:43 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    BMW's software has zero to do with the chip in your interface, the job of which is to correctly translate signals so that they can be interpreted via the USB port of your computer. The OBD2 adapter wiring details you have provided only reflect the way most 16 to 20 pin cables originating from China are wired and are not complete, details of which are here Pin Functions.pdf. Stritarja has previously posted details of how to add a wire between pins 1 and 16 and Kevin has also correctly advised that there is usually one wire in most adapter cables that is not connected, which can also be used for this purpose. If you are looking for something off the shelf, talk to Gert (rv8flyboy) here on the forum or at interfaces4vbimmers.
    The information you will be able to access on an E36 with a VAG COM cable (modified or unmodified, regardless of chipset, manufacturer or point of origin) will never be as comprehensive as that which can be accessed using an ADS interface and true serial port as only cars built after MY2000 are capable of providing access to all modules via the OBD port.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I'd also like to point out that the OBD pin 1 to Round pin 16 wire is necessary for the true ignition detection modification use, which in the long run is better. (transistor mod)
    Do you absolutely need it, no. Those that claim their "unmodified" cable works is bs. Re-read those posts, namely the ones that say they "grounded pins" and such. This is a blob of solder on the RS232 chip which tricks it into showing ignition detection. They also have soldered pins 7 & 8 of the OBD connector itself and whatnot. These are not "unmodified" cables.
    A vagcom type cable straight off the shelf does not work without doing "something" to it. And damn sure not ALL modules as some have claimed.

Also make sure you have properly setup your INPA software... as an IFH-0006 error can also mean it has not been setup in OBD mode.
    (and you've already been informed you should just be using an ADS interface anyways, TinyADS is another I'd recommend aside from Gerts)

The CH3401 is some knock-off RS232 to USB chip. Without a scouring the datasheet I have no idea if it is even remotely similar to an FT232BL, FT232BM, FT232RL or whatever, but a quick dig around and it doesn't look close to any of them. So "modifying" it would be tricky.

Did the seller of your cable claim it to work with BMW?

My Cars
    e36 convertible
    BMW's software has zero to do with the chip in your interface, the job of which is to correctly translate signals so that they can be interpreted via the USB port of your computer. The OBD2 adapter wiring details you have provided only reflect the way most 16 to 20 pin cables originating from China are wired and are not complete, details of which are here Pin Functions.pdf. Stritarja has previously posted details of how to add a wire between pins 1 and 16 and Kevin has also correctly advised that there is usually one wire in most adapter cables that is not connected, which can also be used for this purpose. If you are looking for something off the shelf, talk to Gert (rv8flyboy) here on the forum or at interfaces4vbimmers.
    The information you will be able to access on an E36 with a VAG COM cable (modified or unmodified, regardless of chipset, manufacturer or point of origin) will never be as comprehensive as that which can be accessed using an ADS interface and true serial port as only cars built after MY2000 are capable of providing access to all modules via the OBD port.
    I am going to use the ADS; There is a tiny ads that wired directly into the obd 20 pin connector. I just wanted to play with the vag.com a little o
    The BWW software may have zero do with the chip;that I don't know, but there must be a reason why the majority choose the FDTI chip. I am with Kevin the CH3401 spinoff chip may have limitations. What other s have posted (users of the vag.com cable( vw, audi, Triumph, and some BMW users) is that there is a problem with the chip vs the FDTI. I have emailed all those sellers on ebay that never disclosed their chip asking for verification of the chip and not one responded!. I am with you guys about the OBD2 adapter wiring out of China, but the ones with 16 are usually missing pin 15 (L line) for the 4 wire setup.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    ShaggyD, the reason the adaptors are missing pin 15 is that L line communication is only used with ADS compliant cars. FDTi make a few different chip configurations, giving their chipsets a lot of flexibility. Due to a reputation for reliability, they also have a very high level of market proliferation. If you go to the FTDi site and read their chipset specs, they also claim the ability of some of their USB adaptors to replicate 100% of serial port functions, however when I put it to them to supply one of these units so that I could verify this claim in relation to the ability to replicate the serial port functions required to support ADS functionality, they declined. If you look at a USB port, they have only 4 wires as opposed to a 9 pin serial port. The job of these chips is only to attempt to replicate all functions of the serial port on the USB port, which as you can see is a fairly big call.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast