Thread: 2004 530i E60 A/C Compressor Problems

My Cars
    2004 530i, 2005 X5

Cool 2004 530i E60 A/C Compressor Problems

Hey all,

I am new to the site and I am seeking some advice. The A/C on my 04 Automatic e60 530i (80k miles) is not blowing cold air. I replaced the A/C Belt (it snapped) however, now when I turn on the A/C it is making a disturbing noise and not blowing cold air. It blows plenty of air, just not cold. I am keeping the A/C off right now as I do not want to potentially mess anything else up, or lose another belt.

Does this mean the the clutch (or compressor) is seized? Is the compressor shot and need replaced? Is there anything I can do to get it going again without replacing the whole compressor? Or could there be another detail that I am missing?

I appreciate any advice provided!
    Thanks!

Dominic

My Cars
    2004 545i SMG w/Sport Package 1997 Lexus LS 400
    Hard to say what it could be with out really looking at. I think a trip to service center is in order. Since it appears your out of warranty just look for a good independant service center that works on BMW's. Should save you a good 35%-50% or so over the dealership.

My Cars
    07 530i, 04 CTS
    Do you see any dirt/mud caked around compressor ends or a/c fittings or hoses? That would indicate loss of freon and some loss of oil.

Good indy shop, as other member said, is best route.

Anyone know how much oil these compressors hold. Old GM compressors held 15 oz many moons ago. In past 10 to 20 years, newer GM compressors held 3 oz of oil. If you lost any oil, compressor locked up permanently.

Newer japanese compressors are very stable, but I don't know how much oil they hold.

Anyone here know about amounts of oil in compressors??

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    does it make like groaning noise? i have this happen but it goes away right after turning on and doesnt happen all the time, when looking at belts they seem to wobble more than i think they should sometimes and i felt almost like a notch missing out of one of the belts so i know i need to change it but could turning on ac with belt at a certian point cause that groaning sound which goes away once belt/pullys adjust to missing part?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The AC compressor is the osillating plate type unit it does not work like older units that just go on and off it’s basically always on you need to do a full service on the ac see what happens also when replacing this type of compressor you can damage the new one if it’s not brought on line correctly for the first time