Thread: How rare and desirable are the California Tops?

My Cars
    2012 BMW X3

How rare and desirable are the California Tops?

I did a search but couldn't come up with much.

How rare/desirable are the California top 318ti's?

What years were they made? Was there anything else special about them? I guess I'm just looking for information on them in general, but mostly how rare they are is what I'm really wondering.

Thanks for the help guy's,

Patrick

My Cars
    318Ti, Fiat 124 Spider, Saab 900 Turbo
    I think they were only in the last couple of years production.

As for rare.. no clue how many were made. I do know the gears in them are fragile

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machine View Post
    ... I do know the gears in them are fragile
    +1 and there is more wind noise in the cabin... If you want open air driving, just buy a 'vert.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2012 BMW X3
    The California top has more appeal to me than a convertible.

My Cars
    zx-6e, f250 smoker
    I find cali tops very desirable! having seen one in person, i love it! Much better than a sunroof.. I have heard they have sealing/rain water issues though..
    -Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter
    Hating what's popular is way too mainstream. I like the things that everyone else likes. This makes me special and unique.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rad View Post
    I find cali tops very desirable! having seen one in person, i love it! Much better than a sunroof.. I have heard they have sealing/rain water issues though..
    That's true as well of course not with all of them, but another hole in the car leads to more chances of leaks. My friend's '97 cali-top has a broken motor, so it can't open anymore, and to make matters worse, it leaks so there is always a wet/moldy smelling spot in the car... going to try to remove the little headliner today to find the damn leak.

My Cars
    11 128i
    I believe they were first introduced in 1996 in the "California Edition" ti. I'm not sure how many there are but the actual cali edition only came in 96. Every year after that the cali roof was just an option. So the "rarest" would probably be the 96 cali edition.
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    1999 318ti California Ed.
    Owned a 1996 and a 1999. By my calculation about 5% of all Ti's here in the states were open air cali tops so that's about 1200. That's just my gut of seeing what's on the market. Tried going thru BMW to find out but apparently they can't sort the stats to find out.

Rarest would be the M-tech sport package with 5 speed... and rarer yet would be a 1999 as only 540 were imported. Wait what is it that I drive??

You are correct about the leakages from the seals. Most times it enters the cabin from the A pillars but it's also critical to keep your weep holes clear of debris. I am facing the same issues, headliner removal, seal replacement, etc. Amanusco Let us know how it goes and take pictures please!!

A nice thing about '98s and '99s is they came with the slipstream air deflector and it makes a HUGE difference in drivability.
    Last edited by 96cali; 10-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    1999 318ti Sport, Open Air roof, Dinan CAI and software- FOR SALE!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Sorry to say, we removed the headliner, and put some winding clamps from the drain hole spouts to the drain hoses, didn't really help tho as the problem is actually the gasket that goes between the open air top's cassette and the body. thats an expensive gasket. For now my friend (who owns the car) siliconed all around the top opening. He says it's easily removable if/when he decides to buy a new gasket.

My Cars
    318ti
    i didnt know they were that rare my friend has a claypsorot? like a burnt orange color with a PERFECT top is has 80k on it and he cant give it away

My Cars
    1999 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMMAGNUS View Post
    i didnt know they were that rare my friend has a claypsorot? like a burnt orange color with a PERFECT top is has 80k on it and he cant give it away
    I'll come pick it up for him if he'd like to give it away

My Cars
    1999 318ti
    I love my cali top, I could never see myself parting with this car or letting the top fall into disrepair. I'm currently sorting out a leak in the a-pillar that I think is coming from the roof. I resealed some cracks in the track of the sunroof and haven't experienced leakage since. I pulled down the headliner but everything looked perfect besides some very minor rust that lead me to believe the cracks are what was causing the leaks. Sorry I'm being so vague, I wish I took pics while the repair was going on.

Besides the leaking issues, I've never had a problem with the roof. The car only has ~85k miles on it, so knock on wood.

As for rarity, there was a poll over on 318ti.org. I think the conclusion was the cali-roof was a lot rarer than the regular sunroof, but slightly less rare than having no sunroof at all. http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8511

My Cars
    What were you quoted for the seal? I thought it was under $100?

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Sorry to say, we removed the headliner, and put some winding clamps from the drain hole spouts to the drain hoses, didn't really help tho as the problem is actually the gasket that goes between the open air top's cassette and the body. thats an expensive gasket. For now my friend (who owns the car) siliconed all around the top opening. He says it's easily removable if/when he decides to buy a new gasket.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMMAGNUS View Post
    Are you in PA or the UK? Sport or active model. etc?
    Last edited by 96cali; 10-17-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    318ti
    Are you in PA or the UK? Sport or active model. etc?[/QUOTE]
    PA and I have no idea its not my car I can check or get his # if your interested I know he started parting it out its 90% there still though the suspension and bits are gone though.

My Cars
    i might be interested, pics would help a lot. Is it crashed?

If you can either PM me or email contact and car details to ninety6cali at hotmail.com it would be appreciated!

My Cars
    Too many ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96cali View Post
    Rarest would be the M-tech sport package with 5 speed...
    Like this...

Quote Originally Posted by 96cali View Post
    A nice thing about '98s and '99s is they came with the slipstream air deflector and it makes a HUGE difference in drivability.
    +1 Before they installed the popup deflector, there was huge buffeting inside the car. With the deflector, the buffeting (and associated noise) is gone. My understanding is that the older cars can be retrofitted with the popup if you can stomach the OE BMW prices for the parts...

...and BTW, I've had mine since new and the top has NEVER leaked! (Hope I didn't just jinx it ) On second thought, if it ever rains here in AZ, I might just OPEN the roof and drive with it open in the rain!
    Last edited by Budget M3; 10-30-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    "Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
    '89 Z1 Dream Black/Alcantara/Camo, Racing Dynamics, the coolest doors known to man -- Sunny days & Sundays
    '90 Z1 Red w/custom red/black French leather, Ground Control coil overs, BBS RV-F --Mais Oui!
    '91 850i Mauritius Blue/Black --1 of 179

'85 M635CSi Alpine -- "Explosive!!!"
    '03 M3 Conv, Imola w/ SMG -- her daily driver
    '17 “30 Jahre” M3, Macao Blue -- 1/500 made

Previously owned: 74 2002 (x2), 85 325e, 80 323i Baur, 94 325iC, 03 325CiC, 80 633CSi, 90 325iC, 98 318ti (Budget M3), 01 X5, 02 X5 4.6is (x2), 94 M3, 98 M3/4, 16 340i

My Cars
    1997 318ti
    I know this wasn't started as a "how much do you love your Cali top?" thread but it's hard not too. It's one of the reasons I bought my Ti. I think it will help keep the value of the car, in the future. For now it's fun and I try and keep my car garaged or in the shop when not driving.

My Cars
    Mmm Good 352Ti, FJ Cruz
    I know I love mine.
    I had to get a new cartridge for my top (& yes it's pricey/but mine didn't come with the net to eliminate noise) ...sad part is the motor went a few months ago. I heard they stopped making 'em? Maybe 96Cali knows? Any info on that will sure help me out.
    "If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable."

My Cars
    '95 318ti '04 Cooper S
    oh man i wouldn't mind a cali top ti
    Greg

1995 318ti

2004 Cooper S

WTB: Hellrot 318ti Club Sport

My Cars
    01 Audi S8
    Saw one online in pretty good condition (98 w/Cali top & M sport package) w/105k miles
    But the person is asking $7k for it.
    WTF really??? That's almost double retail price.
    Hell I paid less for the my E36 M3.

My Cars
    M3, 5er, R bikes
    We have about $6k into ours, 5 spd Mtechnic with cali roof. Tore through the engine compartment and replaced almost everything short of the block and head. Folks don't realize how well a fresh functioning M44 performs. Well suited to the car's character. Great car, super hard to find in this configuration ... it's an E30 driving experience 10 years later.

Filippo
    Last edited by fmorelli; 04-28-2018 at 09:52 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Dakar Vert
    Agreed.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    1999 Dakar m3 Vert, 98 Alaska blue cali m318ti, avus ti sport cali (dash swap), 95 318ti white base model.