Thread: E39 pulling misfire code

My Cars
    1992 Tercel

E39 pulling misfire code

MY dad has a 1998 528i. Since the day he bought it, it idle like a big block cam'd chevy! After it warms up it calms dowm a bit, but it still doesn't idle like a car of it's class should. He had the local Auto Zone run diagnostics and he got a few codes. one of the codes was po301 witch according to the Bently manual is a misfire in cyliner one. What could be causing this cylinder misfire? He has a p1189 code for bank 2 sensor. Bank? The only time i heard this term used was on V configurated motors.
    I will search the forums for answers, but if anyone wants to help me out wit a short cut, please be my guest!

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    check coil and spark plugs on cylinder 1
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by previasc96 View Post
    MY dad has a 1998 528i. Since the day he bought it, it idle like a big block cam'd chevy! After it warms up it calms dowm a bit, but it still doesn't idle like a car of it's class should. He had the local Auto Zone run diagnostics and he got a few codes. one of the codes was po301 witch according to the Bently manual is a misfire in cyliner one. What could be causing this cylinder misfire? He has a p1189 code for bank 2 sensor. Bank? The only time i heard this term used was on V configurated motors.
    I will search the forums for answers, but if anyone wants to help me out wit a short cut, please be my guest!
    The double vanos i6s suffer from a vanos seal problem that can cause those exact symptoms, but since the 98 528i is single vanos, I don't know if that could be what is causing the rough idle when cold.
    As for the bank 1 and 2 on an i6, I'm not sure but I think bank 1 is cylinders 1-3 and bank 2 is 4-6. Would someone check me on this, please.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by xisco44 View Post
    check coil and spark plugs on cylinder 1
    Don't forget to also carefully inspect the spark plug boot. Old, heat damaged boots will allow voltage to short to the sides of the spark plug well. At the age any 528, it would be good maintenance to simply replace all the spark plug boots with new, to eliminate this possibility.

Otherwise, check for oil in plug wells (leaking valve cover gasket), loose spark plugs (use torque wrench) or a defective plug (inspect), or defective coil (move to another location and see if problem moves).