Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabin Air Filter Replacement, the INEXPENSIVE Way!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I don't know if I could take the constant smell of freshly dried laundry.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    I purchased the filters at a local napa for my sis's 528 for less then $25 and they are charcoal as well. I also got a a/c duct purifier made by interdynamics from them as well for $5. I removed old filters and sprayed half of can in one side then half in other, got rid of odor and smells fresh. The filters came packaged in one box and are made by TYC part#800048C2. There is a web site www.genera.com on box as well, haven't checked it out.

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    I just did this today, after spraying some AC vent cleaner in. Smells great inside! And yes..I used the fabric softener! LOL

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    what a difference this made. i didt have to trim anything just pressed it down in there. my air was slow to cool, now i get cold air almost instantly, thank you OP

My Cars
    E39 530i/5
    i ended up cutting my filters to fit properly. the smell improved quite a bit. i'm going to throw the dryer sheets in there too for good measure.

obligatory e39 angel eye sig photo

My Cars
    1998 bmw 528i
    FYI new part number for micro guard filter is MGA6479

My Cars
    99 540i6
    TNA Auto parts down to $13.50 for the pair. Anyone had good or bad experiences with this supplier?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Smile Fresh Air

I use hand warmers all winter long to brave the Colorado chill. When done with the handwarmer, I put them in the fridge or on top of the cabin air filter in my 530i, I just wedge the edges into a pleat to keep them secure. They're full of charcoal as well as being easy to handle.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Local stealer wants $75 for pair and thats after applying 20% BMW CCA discount! Ouch!

Nice write-up!
    Gonna try it today-tomorrow!

My Cars
    97 BMW 528i
    Here's where I bought mine. Excellent seller and he's local to me in case I want an item immediately. I picked up the lower intake boot for my e46 and e39 for $23 a piece! shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...09044&viewitem=

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Guys,
    Please go with Activated Charcoal only!

I got mine Fram CA6479 (NON Activated Charcoal) for about $6.50 from local PepBoys. I cut them 3mm on the sides. They look good and fit right in...

...but every odor is yours. Especially exhaust and especially in the tunnel! I never had THAT BAD odor with my old filters.

Now I am back to where I started and I need new filters. This time with Activated Charcoal.

Where did you get yours, guys?

My Cars
    cts-v, 1967 Mustang

Talking cabin air filters

Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    DIY: Cabin Air Filter, the INEXPENSIVE Way!

You already know that BMW Activated Charcoal Filters or Mann Cabin (non-charcoal) Filters are $30-45 per pair of Cabin Filter, which is rather expensive for this low-tech device.

This is a DIY (guaranteed easy!!!) using Standard Engine Air Filter for $6.50/each or $13 total. So you will save $15-30 easily.

1. How Activated Charcoal works:
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/question209.htm

- The activated charcoal basically filters out the odors (farms, pigs, cows, NYC exhaust etc.).
    - However once the charcoal pores are filled with these odorous particles, then the charcoal component of the filter is saturated and useless, but the Air Filter still filters through pollens, dusts, particles etc.
    - The lifespan of activated charcoal depends on how much smelly stuff the filter has to adsorb.

2. As an inexpensive substitute (not activated charcoal):

- Use 1998 Cadillac Deville ENGINE Air Filter as a reference for E39 CABIN Filter. So any of these Engine Filters will work:

- Fram CA6479 ---> $6.50
    - Purolator A34479 ---> $6.50 (at Advanced Auto Parts).
    - Microguard GA34479 ---> $6.50 (at OReilly Auto Parts).
    271 mm x 203 mm x 43 mm
    (Stock Size is: 267 mm x 201 mm x 30 mm)

These filters are a tiny bit bigger but all you have to do is: using a utility knife and trim 2-3 mm of rubber molding on each long side and it will fit perfect. You will save $15-30 for beers money…...hehe!

This is the shortest DIY that I ever wrote: 1 picture! Just a way to save some money during this goofy economy....

Hi,
    I work at Fram as the tech manager. Your mod is pretty cool. I checked with our engineers and there is no issue using a engine air filter in place of a caf as far as air flow.
    That said, we make a carbon activated CAF for your car that also has arm and hammer baking soda in it to absorb odors. Its the only one of this kind in the market. Here is a link to our catalog with the part number, its around 22.00 for the 5 series. http://www.framcatalog.com/Application.aspx?b=F

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Boggs View Post
    Here's where I bought mine. Excellent seller and he's local to me in case I want an item immediately. I picked up the lower intake boot for my e46 and e39 for $23 a piece! shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567709044&viewitem=
    Hey Matt,

Your link sending to expired listing, but I think I know who you're talking about. I got 2 filters from him for $22.99 shiped.

My Cars
    91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by motorking View Post
    Hi,
    I work at Fram as the tech manager. Your mod is pretty cool. I checked with our engineers and there is no issue using a engine air filter in place of a caf as far as air flow.
    That said, we make a carbon activated CAF for your car that also has arm and hammer baking soda in it to absorb odors. Its the only one of this kind in the market. Here is a link to our catalog with the part number, its around 22.00 for the 5 series. http://www.framcatalog.com/Application.aspx?b=F
    It doesn't look like the site you listed is for purchasing the product. What is the site for purchasing around the listed price above?

Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Try using charcoal fish tank filters wrapped in pantie hose. :p

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFuture8 View Post
    It doesn't look like the site you listed is for purchasing the product. What is the site for purchasing around the listed price above?

Thanks.
    http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...M_CF10369.html

not bad. includes both.
    also can be found on Amazon, etc.

AIR FreshBreeze Cabin Air Filters; Pair Packed
    The FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin air filter is the only cabin air filter that uses the natural deodorizing qualities of Arm & Hammer® baking soda. These two powerhouse brands have joined forces to absorb odors and freshen the air.
    Premium Efficiency - Filters 98% of dust, pollen, and other contaminants
    Odor Absorption - Arm & Hammer® baking soda combined with carbon embedded into the filter assist in cleaning outside air flowing through the vehicle's ventilation system.

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    bump...its that time of year to get your cabin filters changed

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud

Cheap charcoal filters here! Skip the "MacGuyver" solutions!

Guys, you can get high quality activated charcoal filters very inexpensively from www.autohausaz.com

Mann, made in Germany filters are only $23.74 for the pair.

Bosch (made in USA) are only $18.17 for the pair.

I have used the Mann for years, changing them every 15k miles, they work and fit perfectly. I recently tried the Bosch, and they have a strange oversize fit, in height. So when you close the lid, they sort of "crush fit" into place. I don't like this, and takes a little fiddling to make sure there are no gaps to the fit. (no unfiltered air gets by) I got them to work, but next time I will go back to Mann.

$50 nets free shipping, so add some oil filters and an air filter and you make the minimum for free shipping.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    E30 M3
    Just to add to this already very helpful thread, a pair of charcoal activated Mann filters (Mann-Filter CUK 2736-2) is $20 on Amazon right now (Sept 2012), with free shipping if you pad the order to $25. I'm not sure why- but I added a Mann oil filter (Mann-Filter HU 925/4 X Metal-Free Oil Filter) which was $6, and it took an additional $5 off of the order (with the free shipping) so my order total for the pair of cabin filters and the oil filter was $20 shipped.

My Cars
    '00 M5, 79' 633csi, 5.0
    I paid $6 (for the pari) for a couple fram ones from work, they work pretty well. I changed them out because I noticed the smell of my washer fluid and the oil leak I had at the time was pretty bad, they seem to work decently for smells since I changed them. Even if they aren't charcoal mine work pretty well, didn't read the whole thread and see other people doing the drier thing, might try that here soon.

For $6 I'll stick with it though!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    I just bought 2 as a set from Amazon that are Charcoal direct replacements for 11.50 total with prime free shipping it was out the door.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i/6 Dinan 5
    Resurrecting this thread in 2017 lol I've found these from O'Reilly,, $19.99 for the pair and they're in stock at my local store. Carbon media (activated charcoal).

MicroGard Part #3886
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...#itemDetailTab_

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    can any mods update this sticky? i have found the K&n version that will bolt in with no cutting. K&N 33-2141-1
    (Stock Size is: 267 mm x 201 mm x 30 mm) while the k&n is 267 mm x 200 mm x 24 mm. hope this helps im going to try it out as well
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12