Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did an S54 swap in e39 528i

ganesht is offline (oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo) BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    98 528i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    If it was my project, I would get a dme from a 2000 e39 ( or whatever yr that has double vanos) Plug it into your stock harness and get a Reflash from Active Autowerkes for the differance in timing and fuel maps. If the dme has ews, then they can unlock it as well.

http://activeautowerke.com/ Speak to karl
    dual vanos on the i6 started 9/98

and i dont think you can flash a ews bypass anymore.. iirc that only works with ewsII, e39s from 3/97 came with ewsIII 3.2 or greater
    Last edited by ganesht; 09-24-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Alida:
    Born: Friday, 9th January 1998
    Arktissilber Metallic on Schwarz 528i/5

Claudia:
    Born: Friday, 2nd May 2003
    Sterlinggrau Metallic on Schwarz 540i/6

My Cars
    528i / M35 /C240
    I`m not sure if this help but JC have chip for E36 M3 1999 for $369! maybe this will work with stock DME from E39 528i [ If you replace an engine with
    S52 and will leave a stock DME from E39 and re-flash with JC software ! ] I`m not a guru just a thoughts!
    Last edited by forcemax; 09-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.

My Cars
    e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Did you call Koala?
    I've looked at their Website, Im going to hav eto call them tomorrow during business hours. Looks like they are experienced in bmw's

Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    It's a stock engine, why would you need something tuned?

You most likely just need to code DME + peripherals.
    Yes your right its a stock motor. Only reason why I was thinking about tuning was if i ha dto go with a standalone unit I undertsna they send you the unit with start up maps but then you have to tune it to your specs. I would like to stay away from this if possible. I located a DME, Motor wiring harness, EWS module with the steering colums with Key for 1,000 dolars here in houston. I'm thinking about keeping my stock 528i dme in place to control the fucntions of the car and then some how intigrating the S54 DME to control the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
    A big question is, what year is the 528I in question?
    Its a 97 528i e39
    Last edited by Impryder; 09-24-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by Impryder View Post
    Yes your right its a stock motor. Only reason why I was thinking about tuning was if i ha dto go with a standalone unit I undertsna they send you the unit with start up maps but then you have to tune it to your specs. I would like to stay away from this if possible. I located a DME, Motor wiring harness, EWS module with the steering colums with Key for 1,000 dolars here in houston. I'm thinking about keeping my stock 528i dme in place to control the fucntions of the car and then some how intigrating the S54 DME to control the motor.

If you plan to register and drive the car on public roads, federal law prohibits you from going standalone on an OBD2 car. And, it's already been mentioned, the factory engine computer is far more advanced than any standalone under $5-10k

My Cars
    01 M5
    hey reasonable question cus i thought about doin the swap on my e39 530. which block is a better block? i know s54 uses a cast iron and the m54 uses aluminum silicon. isnt the alsil harder or stronger anyway(only thing i read is they cant be bored. u have to buy new block or have sleeves pressed in which would be better than the s54 block anyway). the only other difference between the two are the itb's, cams, and crank( yes i know thats like the whole motor but i would change cams and crank on the m54 anyway)
    Last edited by arkangel2487; 11-18-2009 at 12:26 PM.

My Cars
    Black
    ^ i am also interested to know this.

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    Quote Originally Posted by arkangel2487 View Post
    hey reasonable question cus i thought about doin the swap on my e39 530. which block is a better block? i know s54 uses a cast iron and the m54 uses aluminum silicon. isnt the alsil harder or stronger anyway(only thing i read is they cant be bored. u have to buy new block or have sleeves pressed in which would be better than the s54 block anyway). the only other difference between the two are the itb's, cams, and crank( yes i know thats like the whole motor but i would change cams and crank on the m54 anyway)
    Steel block is always stronger than alloy blocks, hence why they can forced fed the S54 for quite bit of power, btw, do a search here, there has been someone who swapped an S54 into a X5 3.0 with manual.

My Cars
    99 528iT
    Turner Motorsports is doing a lot of work making S54s work in other models, like the E36. They might be able to give you some help.
    Also, make sure that you check the Engine Conversions section of Bimmerforums...
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    2005 E60 N52B25
    is this successfully done???

My Cars
    E39 530i vf supercharged

S54 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Impryder View Post
    Ok so I need some help. I have not replaced the DME or S54 wiring harness. I have only swaped the stock 528i m52 motor to the new s54. I am wondering if this will work. I plan on using the crankshaft position sensor from the m52 and the the old cam shaft position sensor. This way everything will connect. as far as Vanos is concerned I've seen a special bmw tool which has a connector which connects to the Vanos plug on the s54. You hook this tool to a 12v power supply while hooking up compressed air to the top of the vanos unit. this tool has two buttons on it. On button controls intake the other exhaust. I wa sthinking I can modify this tool to only control my intake Camshaft. I will connect the 12v power supply connection to the vanos connector of the 528i wiring harness. this way I can leave the toll connected and expect it to control my intake camshaft while the engine is running. So my question is will this work? Or will i have to start messing around with expensive dme's and wiring harness's? Can any one point me in the right direction. I have to much money in this project to fail, this has to work one way or the other.

You cannot control vano on a toggle switch. Vanos solenoid is pulsed with a negative fround signal to position the cam in the right position. Its clocked depending on the duty cycle of the dme's signal to the solenoid.its not an on and off thing. Thats why its variable cam timing because some situations you can't advance the cam all the way. You will slap valves. Its timed by the input signals from cam sensor and crank sensor over the pt can bus, plus load signal and rpm input plays a role. There are places that make custom harnesses or can change the VO(vehicle order) of the vehicle in the dme and other power train can bus modules to accept the s54 dme. Im a 22 year bmw twxh and master. Also modify and customize them. Gotta try custom shops like horsepower freaks or google custom bmw harnes
    Last edited by Cesonetwo; 11-10-2017 at 10:07 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Zombie LOL. 8 years go by and bam there we go a reply to the original post...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Zombie LOL. 8 years go by and bam there we go a reply to the original post...
    Damn it! I thought I was going to see some pics and maybe a whole diy thingy .... but I am disappointed.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ha ha you and me both brother!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    02 530i
    I didn’t read all the posts on this thread but as far as ews, I believe it can be deleted, but I may be wrong. You would need either the DME and someone really experienced with coding and harness, and I believe the cluster as well. Doing the work yourself saves you a lot of money but also comes with the headache of making it all work. Very interested in seeing this done though, good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

And then I see this is an old thread.. damn

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by syphilouis View Post
    I didn’t read all the posts on this thread but as far as ews, I believe it can be deleted, but I may be wrong. You would need either the DME and someone really experienced with coding and harness, and I believe the cluster as well. Doing the work yourself saves you a lot of money but also comes with the headache of making it all work. Very interested in seeing this done though, good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Just for your info there's already a long discussed thread about swapping S54 into an E39. It's not a a thread like OP's but me and few others have talked about what is needed to fit this motor and how to get it working in a factory style installation. No shortcuts, no aftermarket fancy stuff required to run the engine, or any aftermarket mods to make it all work. All OEM/factory DME, wiring, parts, etc. Stuff like that. Just google for the latest/last thread on this topic and read it.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by syphilouis View Post

- - - Updated - - -

LOL again!

- - - Updated - - -

This thread just keeps suckin folks in!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    528iT
    Threads like these should just get deleted lol

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Threads like these should just get deleted lol

#MakeS54E39threadGreatAgain

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Agree,thought someone finally did one. Sad thing is I think the S54 would be more money and less horsepower then the S62 swap.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Agree,thought someone finally did one. Sad thing is I think the S54 would be more money and less horsepower then the S62 swap.
    I thought about posting in this thread before, but decided against it as we already have a very extensive thread on this topic, as Auaq mentioned. That said, I still plan to do the S54 swap in my wagon at some point. There are reasons it would be a better swap than the S62, but they depend on what car you start with. Obviously, it wouldn't make sense to do it to a 540i, but a 525i or 530i, it starts making sense. The main benefits are rack and pinion steering, lighter weight, higher RPM redline, uniqueness, price, etc. The prices of S54s are around $3k-4k for 70k-100k mile engines with rod bearings replaced. You don't need to do any of the subframe swapping, suspension/steering replacement, etc. Transmission is an easy swap and can work with the M5 diff if you swap the output flange from the M3 transmission to the M5/540i output flange. The only customization needed is some heater hoses, oil pan cutting/welding, intake ducting and the rest is pretty much the same as doing a S62 swap (wiring that is).

Anyways, read the other thread we discussed this in if you want more info.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Can someone post a link to this other, holy grail, thread that keeps being mentioned, please?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1ono View Post
    Can someone post a link to this other, holy grail, thread that keeps being mentioned, please?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Thank you. Looks like I have a lot of informative reading ahead of me. At least with the link, everyone can now just head straight to the other thread.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528IA
    If you have a M52TU it won't be too hard, Fekzen can make your S54 DME standalone for 388USD: http://shop.fekzen.se/en/bmw-engine-...-m5-98-06.html ECU 5WK9321 , 5WK9326 , 5WK9318 , 5WK9319 , 5WK90324

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Perern View Post
    If you have a M52TU it won't be too hard, Fekzen can make your S54 DME standalone for 388USD: http://shop.fekzen.se/en/bmw-engine-...-m5-98-06.html ECU 5WK9321 , 5WK9326 , 5WK9318 , 5WK9319 , 5WK90324
    Why would it be easier with a M52TU vs M54? Wiring and coding aren't really the issues either.

Also, as stated before, this thread needs to die and the other one be the proper resource as this thread offers no information on how to do it and is misleading.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast