Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did an S54 swap in e39 528i

My Cars
    e39 528i

Did an S54 swap in e39 528i

Ok so I need some help. I have not replaced the DME or S54 wiring harness. I have only swaped the stock 528i m52 motor to the new s54. I am wondering if this will work. I plan on using the crankshaft position sensor from the m52 and the the old cam shaft position sensor. This way everything will connect. as far as Vanos is concerned I've seen a special bmw tool which has a connector which connects to the Vanos plug on the s54. You hook this tool to a 12v power supply while hooking up compressed air to the top of the vanos unit. this tool has two buttons on it. On button controls intake the other exhaust. I wa sthinking I can modify this tool to only control my intake Camshaft. I will connect the 12v power supply connection to the vanos connector of the 528i wiring harness. this way I can leave the toll connected and expect it to control my intake camshaft while the engine is running. So my question is will this work? Or will i have to start messing around with expensive dme's and wiring harness's? Can any one point me in the right direction. I have to much money in this project to fail, this has to work one way or the other.

My Cars
    any time, any place
    start by googling standalone engine controllers. then contact some manufacturers and see what they have to offer you.

My Cars
    z3
    Nope. Wont be that easy. You need the DME. Should have asked how to get it to work before just throwing the engine in... it simply will not be that simple

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002, 528i, LS430, RX330
    uh oh...

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    aren't dme's like 2 grand alone???
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    528i / M35 /C240
    maybe I AM wrong but I`ve to believe this will be toooo expensive !! I`m want to do same thing but ONLY will put engine from M3-1999 in this case this must be simple like plug and play.

My Cars
    2002, 528i, LS430, RX330
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemax View Post
    maybe I AM wrong but I`ve to believe this will be toooo expensive !! I`m want to do same thing but ONLY will put engine from M3-1999 in this case this must be simple like plug and play.
    s52 won't be plug and play, but will be easier than S54...

but I'd rather have an M5 if I was paying my money for this type of swap...

My Cars
    528i / M35 /C240
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon5069 View Post
    s52 won't be plug and play, but will be easier than S54...

but I'd rather have an M5 if I was paying my money for this type of swap...
    Why do you think so? I`m want to buy whole M3-1999 [ from auction ] and will transfer everything I`m need from M3 to my 528-1998 also I`m want to put manual trany because right know I`m have auto. and I`m hope this will be not so hard to do.

My Cars
    z3
    Why do you think so? I`m want to buy whole M3-1999 [ from auction ] and will transfer everything I`m need from M3 to my 528-1998 also I`m want to put manual trany because right know I`m have auto. and I`m hope this will be not so hard to do.
    The costs of doing all that could easily buy a newer M3 or even an M5. But if you really want to do it, it can be done, it will just take a lot of time and effort (and money).

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    528i / M35 /C240
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    The costs of doing all that could easily buy a newer M3 or even an M5. But if you really want to do it, it can be done, it will just take a lot of time and effort (and money).
    Still why do you think so? I`m can buy whole M3-1999 with 70-90 K miles for 2K from auction[ my friend a dealer and he can buy it for me)] and will do almost all job by myself with little help .what do you think how much will it cost me?
    Last edited by forcemax; 09-23-2009 at 08:05 PM.

My Cars
    e39 528i
    BlackXS,

What if I purchase the s54 DME and wiring harness? I've heard that I would have EWS issues and my key would not start the car. Is there any way I can have the 528i ECU control the chassis fucnctions like speedometer, ACS, etc and just have the s54 dme control the motor?

Nope. Wont be that easy. You need the DME. Should have asked how to get it to work before just throwing the engine in... it simply will not be that simple

What if I purchase the s54 DME and wiring harness? I've heard that I would have EWS issues and my key would not start the car. Is there any way I can have the 528i ECU control the chassis fucnctions like speedometer, ACS, etc and just have the s54 dme control the motor?
    Last edited by Impryder; 09-23-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    z3
    Still why do you think so? I`m can buy whole M3-1999 with 70-90 K miles for 2K from auction[ my friend a dealer and he can buy it for me)] and will do almost all job by myself with little help .what do you think how much will it cost me?
    I figured 4-5K for the M3/engine.

You can either spend 2K on the M3 and take out the engine or spend close to 2K getting the S54 to work. And yes I think you will need a new DME/EWS However if it was me, I would run it standalone as per Mark's instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EACtuning
    start by googling standalone engine controllers. then contact some manufacturers and see what they have to offer you.
    wont get all the functionality but on a cheap dollar it will work (engine will obviously still have all functions, VANOS etc, but thermostats may not read properly, little things like that). Of all the succesful, finsihed, engine swaps I have seen on BMWs, the majority of them are standalone. BMWs are not meant for engine swapping; the cars are practically built around the engine. It can be done, but standalone is almost always an easier way to do it. Cheaper too. Research a little into that and if you still want it integrated, find an S54 DME and I bid you good luck.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    e39 528i
    Thanks for the info, I actually bought this motor from a salvage yard for 1.5K knowing it had a bent rod on number 4 later on after i didn the engine rebuild i found number 4 cylinder wall to be cracked. So I bought a good block for $200 and swapped all the internals. It eneded up costing me about 2 grand with new piston rings and new buttom end bearings. I will figure this out, Thanks for eveyones help

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I would contact Koala Motorsports in Ohio.
    They are experts at engine swaps.
    They should be able to steer you in the right direction!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

ganesht is offline (oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo) BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    98 528i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Impryder View Post
    along with the dme you need the ews that has been matted to that dme, and its keys..

ive looked into running a standalone ems parallel to the stock dme having the dme to communicate with all the other modules as well as run the vanos. in theory it should work although i haven't seen it done yet.. you would need to feed the dme with some fake info to make it think everything is ok.
    Alida:
    Born: Friday, 9th January 1998
    Arktissilber Metallic on Schwarz 528i/5

Claudia:
    Born: Friday, 2nd May 2003
    Sterlinggrau Metallic on Schwarz 540i/6

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post

wont get all the functionality but on a cheap dollar it will work (engine will obviously still have all functions, VANOS etc, but thermostats may not read properly, little things like that). Of all the succesful, finsihed, engine swaps I have seen on BMWs, the majority of them are standalone. BMWs are not meant for engine swapping; the cars are practically built around the engine. It can be done, but standalone is almost always an easier way to do it. Cheaper too. Research a little into that and if you still want it integrated, find an S54 DME and I bid you good luck.

exactly, while standalones are nice, the resolution on OEM ecus is so much more than you can find on standalones, unless you're buying something like a MoTec M800, or some of the other higher-end ECUS i.e. Pectel, Pi, etc.

Also, I would imagine that in your area there are OBD2 laws that need to be complied with; thus, standalone is not an option.

The right route would have been to get a wrecked car and taken the harness + DME + ignition.

At this point, you'll probably have to buy a harness and DME, and have it coded by someone like Koala, or VAC motorsports.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Check http://www.seattlecircuit.com/ I think he has a Vanos controller to put double vanos motor into a single vanos. He has it worked out for an older 413 ECU but thinks it could be added to other ECU.

My Cars
    e39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    exactly, while standalones are nice, the resolution on OEM ecus is so much more than you can find on standalones, unless you're buying something like a MoTec M800, or some of the other higher-end ECUS i.e. Pectel, Pi, etc.

Also, I would imagine that in your area there are OBD2 laws that need to be complied with; thus, standalone is not an option.

The right route would have been to get a wrecked car and taken the harness + DME + ignition.

At this point, you'll probably have to buy a harness and DME, and have it coded by someone like Koala, or VAC motorsports.
    Right I am from Houston. unfortunately I have called everyone in the city that does dyno tuning. They all tell me the same thing "uhhh yeaa im sorry we dont do BMW the software is too expensive. We only do ford chevy and dodge" So After market ecu's maybe out of the question.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Right I am from Houston. unfortunately I have called everyone in the city that does dyno tuning. They all tell me the same thing "uhhh yeaa im sorry we dont do BMW the software is too expensive. We only do ford chevy and dodge" So After market ecu's maybe out of the question.
    Did you call Koala?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    98 540i6

It's a stock engine, why would you need something tuned?

You most likely just need to code DME + peripherals.

My Cars
    '97 540I 6 spd. Green on green
    There is evidence of this being done with an S52, and it being very simple.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...wap+528&page=2

S54, not so sure.
    "All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way....Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it." -- Homer Simpson

"Gulp! How much is this monstrosity? Eighty thousand dollars?!? I'm ruined!" -- Herb Powell, former President and CEO, Powell Motors Corp.

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    reading this thread it seems like the OP jumped, then worried about the landing while in the air...

good luck

My Cars
    '97 540I 6 spd. Green on green
    A big question is, what year is the 528I in question?
    "All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way....Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it." -- Homer Simpson

"Gulp! How much is this monstrosity? Eighty thousand dollars?!? I'm ruined!" -- Herb Powell, former President and CEO, Powell Motors Corp.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    If it was my project, I would get a dme from a 2000 e39 ( or whatever yr that has double vanos) Plug it into your stock harness and get a Reflash from Active Autowerkes for the differance in timing and fuel maps. If the dme has ews, then they can unlock it as well.

http://activeautowerke.com/ Speak to karl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast