Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did an S54 swap in e39 528i

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Perern View Post
    If you have a M52TU it won't be too hard, Fekzen can make your S54 DME standalone for 388USD: http://shop.fekzen.se/en/bmw-engine-...-m5-98-06.html ECU 5WK9321 , 5WK9326 , 5WK9318 , 5WK9319 , 5WK90324
    I was gonna say for EWS and DTC deletes on that platform at this point, that sounds pricey, but, if they've truly worked out a "proven canned standalone setup" that's not a terrible price. That said...

This idea (E39 swap) ain't an E30 or a 'boat' as they say in that marketing material.

You dont actually want the 'full standalone' for a job like this, you want as much of the factory integration fixed as possible. So that's another bad link and inappropriate for S54-E39 swappers.

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Also, as stated before, this thread needs to die and the other one be the proper resource as this thread offers no information on how to do it and is misleading.
    Agreed. BimmFo doesn't really do much "threadlocking" like some forums do, but this is a good case for it.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Probably should try to sum up the information from the 'holy grail' thread just to have things on one page. Quick and dirty off the top of my head, this is what it would take:

Block/Head:
    E39 I6 engine arms. Possibly M52 non-TU engine arms as they may be built for more weight (iron block).
    Custom bracket bolted to the driver engine arm to mount the airbox support - pretty easy to do with a piece of sheet metal.
    Modify oil pan to clear subframe
    Otherwise should fit as easy as any I6

Electrical:
    Z3M engine harness if possible (DME is on the driver side in E46s vs passenger side in Z3s and E39s). May have to extend wiring if not long enough
    Add sport button if you want
    Repin MS43 O2 harness to match MSS54 pinout

Intake:
    For OEM-like solution, hybrid Z3M and stock E39 filter housing
    Otherwise you can do a cone filter, carbon airbox, use some combination of adapters, etc

Exhaust:
    Likely will have to be semi custom after the headers. Any exhaust shop should be able to take care of it. Ideally you'd have piping around 60mm diameter.

Coolant / Heater hoses
    Probably the least "plug and play" part of this swap, but should be able to make things work with some combo of adapters, hose clamps, etc.

Power steering:
    Use E39 525tds reservoir mounting and the line(s) that go to the reservoir. Leave the pump to steering rack stuff the same as an I6 E39.

One issue that has come up in a completed swap is DSC. For some reason, the DSC5.7 system in the E39 seems to cause the MSS54 to stay awake indefinitely. His solution ended up being to use the DSC5.7 module from a late model E46 xi. But ideally we'd figure out what is causing the issue and fix the DME itself. I've tried transplanting the MSS52 CAN-bus code into the MSS54 with no luck.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Probably should try to sum up the information from the 'holy grail' thread just to have things on one page. Quick and dirty off the top of my head, this is what it would take:

Block/Head:
    E39 I6 engine arms. Possibly M52 non-TU engine arms as they may be built for more weight (iron block).
    Custom bracket bolted to the driver engine arm to mount the airbox support - pretty easy to do with a piece of sheet metal.
    Modify oil pan to clear subframe
    Otherwise should fit as easy as any I6

Electrical:
    Z3M engine harness if possible (DME is on the driver side in E46s vs passenger side in Z3s and E39s). May have to extend wiring if not long enough
    Add sport button if you want
    Repin MS43 O2 harness to match MSS54 pinout

Intake:
    For OEM-like solution, hybrid Z3M and stock E39 filter housing
    Otherwise you can do a cone filter, carbon airbox, use some combination of adapters, etc

Exhaust:
    Likely will have to be semi custom after the headers. Any exhaust shop should be able to take care of it. Ideally you'd have piping around 60mm diameter.

Coolant / Heater hoses
    Probably the least "plug and play" part of this swap, but should be able to make things work with some combo of adapters, hose clamps, etc.

Power steering:
    Use E39 525tds reservoir mounting and the line(s) that go to the reservoir. Leave the pump to steering rack stuff the same as an I6 E39.

One issue that has come up in a completed swap is DSC. For some reason, the DSC5.7 system in the E39 seems to cause the MSS54 to stay awake indefinitely. His solution ended up being to use the DSC5.7 module from a late model E46 xi. But ideally we'd figure out what is causing the issue and fix the DME itself. I've tried transplanting the MSS52 CAN-bus code into the MSS54 with no luck.
    I think for the oil pan it would be easier to notch the aluminum subframe rather than modify the oil pan. Fasttech Motorsports just did an e39 S54 swap and that's what they did and it seemed way easier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528IA
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Why would it be easier with a M52TU vs M54? Wiring and coding aren't really the issues either.

Also, as stated before, this thread needs to die and the other one be the proper resource as this thread offers no information on how to do it and is misleading.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I meant compared to a M52, as he got a 528i

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123