Thread: 1991 M5 Battery dead locked out?

My Cars
    1991 BMW M5

1991 M5 Battery dead locked out?

My battery is dead and when I try to use the key nothing happens, the lock turns but the door does not unlock. I am guessing this has something to do with the power door locks. Triple A tried unlocking it and they could not pop the lock up or open the inside handle. I have a cracked windshield so I might just have that replaced and unlock it when they take the cracked one out. I believe the battery is under the passenger rear seat so I need to get in to jump start the car. Anyone know any tips, tricks, or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    various
    Open trunk with key

Connect a 12v battery to the trunk light circuit temporarily.

Open locks

sell me car cheap
    Last edited by zubbie; 09-22-2009 at 09:05 AM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW M5
    Any way you can give me a few more details on how to do this and where to connect the cables?

My Cars
    various
    You have to examine the trunk light and see where the terminals for the positive and ground wires are attached. Then it is just positive to positive, negative to negative. a couple of aligator clips should do it for the purposes of opening the doors. I certainly wouldn't try to start the car in this configuration though.

Your battery would have enough residual charge to meter the light connections before you connect another battery there. You are essentially conencting a good battery in parallel with a bad one.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Use a screw driver... pop the hood through the grill on the drivers side and jump it off the jumper terminal under the hood.

Every time someone makes a thread, everyone talks about jumping the car though a light :shirty

Wayyyy easier and faster to just open the hood.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Hum sounds like a pretty neat trick Zubbie, Ive had the battery on my M5 go down before (before I started putting it on a battery tender) and I've never had an issue where I couldnt unlock the door so thats news to me that the car would do this.

OP you dont have to charge the battery under the seat in fact as long as the battery is good you should charge it from the terminals under the hood. Good luck!

My Cars
    1991 BMW M5
    I also was looking on M5 board and I guess you are supposed to be able to unlock it with the door handle held up and using the key. If i need to pop the hood can you give me any more details on how to do that?

My Cars
    E34 M5

My Cars
    1991 BMW M5
    Thanks I'm going to try that when I get out of work today.

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw View Post
    Use a screw driver... pop the hood through the grill on the drivers side and jump it off the jumper terminal under the hood.

Every time someone makes a thread, everyone talks about jumping the car though a light :shirty

Wayyyy easier and faster to just open the hood.
    both methods work, however hood opening is safer (if you can figure out how to pop the hood)

My Cars
    dear lord man, never let AAA touch a BMW

Use the manual unlock procedure. The car is double locked, won't be able to unlock it from the inside, only way to do it is with the manual procedure, then 12v on the system and unlock, or by putting 12v on the car and unlocking normally as others have mentioned.

My Cars
    1/2
    This method has worked for me in the past.

Jack up the car, and charge the battery using the positive cable on starter motor.

My Cars
    96 XJ, 97 A4Q, scooter
    I have been ocked out of my car on more than one ocassion. I have been able to do it more than one way. I have been able to pop the hood on the drivers side through the grill (the easiest way IMO). I have also climbed in the trunk and reached my head and one arm hrough the center arm rest with a pry bar and unlocked the left rear door by lifting the lock.

The way to get the ood unlicked is with a long skinny flat head screw driver on the latch itself. It has a little tab that will open up the latch when you push on it.

My Cars
    Too Many
    If you look up through the driver side grill at the hood latch there is a little trigger you pull toward you with a flat bladed screw driver. Its really pretty easy to find if you look up in there.

My Cars
    1991 BMW M5
    I'm still having no luck finding this hood latch. Can anyone give me more details possibly pictures please.

My Cars
    various

My Cars
    1991 BMW M5
    Thanks a lot. I can't view the pic at work but i am sure it will show up at home...I really hope this works (fingers crossed)

My Cars
    1991 M5
    Every time this has ever happened to me, all I had to do wasturn the key to the unlock position while at the same time pulling up rather firmly on the door handle. You should feel the door handle travel farther upwards than normal as you twist the key to unlock position IIRC, and bam, door should be unlocked. Just release the handle and pull it up again and it should open.

My Cars
    1995 318Ti 1995 M5 1993 benz 300ce
    hey phil< sorry i have not gotten back too you i worked very late these past few days(pay for track days) and have not even checked my phone (like 15+ messages) i will be getting out tomorrow somewhat eary like 4pm. i will give you a call. i am sure i can get you into your car.
    [][/]