Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broken trunk latch fix (easy DIY)

My Cars
    BMW X5 E53

Broken boot/trunk latch spring.

Hi, I'm having the same issue with my trunk/boot lock, I stripped it down and my spring is broken, exactly as in your post. Please can someone advise where the spring fits.

Many Thanks
    Langrial

My Cars
    2008 528i BMW

Help 528i 2008 will not latch

I need help
    I have a 2008 528i. Open the trunk tonight with no problem. Tried to close it. The trunk latch will not close. Please help

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    look to see if the latch has closed. Pulling with a hook on the latch while pressing the unlatch handle should open it up.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    For a 1998 528i, the trunk wouldn't open manually. took out the handle - there was a youtube video about this - and closed the contacts with a small screwdriver - Nada. Put the handle back in place, making sure that the grommet was in properly. Suddenly the handle works and the trunk can be opened manually.

the only reason that I can think of is perhaps the car was locked when I tried it the first time - meaning manually closing the contacts on the extracted handle. Other than that, I happy not to have to buy another part.

My Cars
    2000 528
    Another trunk lock issue. Closed the trunk and heard a rattle in the panel near the lock/actuator. Trunk would not lock. Removed the lock/actuator. Spring had broken. Repaired and replaced the spring. But the lock still won't lock. Trunk light is on and the actuator makes a noise when activated with remote or the trunk buttons.

Any advice or other checks before springing for an new lock/actuator?

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Thorny View Post
    my trunk latch failed the day before a 3 week vacation! Had to leave unlocked in front of house...sucks

upon disassembly the spring was gone. Not in trunk not be found. My local BMW dealer would sell the complete assy for 175 or so...no way

Went to Orchard supply and found a spring that looked ok bent ends and installed worked fine. Repaired for a buck
    My spring broke as well.
    Do you have pics of the spring installation?

My Cars
    78, 89 e24, 97 328i vert
    Hi, I see this is an old thread but just fixed my 2000 528i latch and wanted to pass on the spring size. 1 3/16L X 1/4OD X .032WG worked. I found it at the Olympia Supply in Olympia Wa. I paid $ 2.19 plus tax.

My Cars
    98 E46 328i, 99 E39 528i
    Thanks a lot, do you by any chance have also a pictures of the parts disassembled ? the old photobucket links don't work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123