Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Any good NE Georgia area BMW shop?

My Cars

Any good NE Georgia area BMW shop?

I'm getting a new alternator tomorrow and don't think I'll be able to install it myself out in the pouring rain. I'm looking for something in Gainesville or above off of 985 possibly but I'm willing to see if I can make it to Buford. Does anyone know and very reputable shops up here?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Damn, if you weren't a zillion miles from me I could knock it out in no time. Do you feel you aren't capable of tackling the job or just working in the rain?
    If it's just the rain, go buy a pop-up and put that over the engine bay while you work. It'll be cheaper than paying a mechanic and you'll have a pop-up after you finish.
    Drop me a PM if you want the step-by-step. It's not difficult and you don't need any special tools or knowledge. Make sure the new alternator has new bushings and I would strongly recommend using urethane bushings. OEM rubber ones only last a couple of years, then the pulley alignment goes out.

My Cars
    thanks a lot for the reply. The rain is the biggest problem. I didn't think about getting a popup. I.ll see if i can get one tonight and pm you if i have any trouble with the alternator.

My Cars
    e60, 335i, 2 x e46
    There is a small shop in Murrayville called MGM. The guy is Mercedes and BMW cert.

My Cars
    '02 M3, '08 X5, '88 M3
    Bavarian Motor Sports in Suwanee isn't too far:

320 Sharon Industrial Way
    Suwanee, GA 30024-2252
    Phone770) 932-1225

My Cars
    M6 Turbo,E30 M3,540iT

Shop in Gainesville

If you decide not to DIY. I recommend Mark at F&M in Gainesville 770.535.0123. He knows E30's. His wife did or may still drive one.

My Cars
    BMW 740IL, Land Rove
    there is Bimmer South in Bogart, Ga

My Cars
    01 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigaid View Post
    I'm getting a new alternator tomorrow and don't think I'll be able to install it myself out in the pouring rain. I'm looking for something in Gainesville or above off of 985 possibly but I'm willing to see if I can make it to Buford. Does anyone know and very reputable shops up here?

In Flowery Branch, off of Exit 12 is Precision Auto Tune. It's where I take my car and his daughter as an E30. He is a certified BMW mechanic; he just has is own shop now.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Surprisingly easy replacement. Did it in the AMS parking lot once with very few tools in 1 minutes (despite the 5 hours to actually GET the part). Good luck!

PS - Unhook the battery first if you do it yourself
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    Okay, I need to update this thread because another problem has arisen. I have another post in the e30 section right now, but it won't really help me because I don't have the knowledge to fix the problem.

So my alternator and battery are both brand new, but my alternator is not charging the battery. The alternator works, it's just not getting the power through the circuit because of a short somewhere. I thought the problem in the circuit was the battery bulb in the instrument cluster, but after replacing the bulb, it still seems to not come on when I start the car. The voltage to the battery is not above 14V when the car is running but is around 12.1 right now and slowly draining.

I plan on charging the battery overnight and then driving home (~70 miles) to Roswell/East Cobb in the morning. What I need is a shop local to Roswell that will be open tomorrow morning who is knowledgeable in this type of problem and can possibly fix it by the afternoon. If it can't be fixed I'm willing to leave the car and get a ride back up to my college.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any input and can help me.

Thanks, Brian Gaid

EDIT: I just did some voltage tests on the alternator (It's a rebuilt bosch). When I disconnected the D+ blue wire and connected it to ground like my book told me to do, it turned the light on. the book says that means there is something wrong with the regulator circuit. When I had all the wires connected and ignition on, the red top wire had the battery voltage and the blue wire had 12v.
    Last edited by Brigaid; 10-11-2009 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325i vert, 1988 528e
    In Roswell call Alan @ German Car Repair @770-480-7809

My Cars
    I'm just going to take back the rebuilt alternator in the morning and go from there. ugh

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by vertvert View Post
    In Roswell call Alan @ German Car Repair @770-480-7809
    I can second this.

I live in Oakwood, GA (right in the middle of gainesville and flowery branch, and the drive you German Car Repair is more than worth it.

I actually have a thread reflecting my visit to GCR. Go to post #20.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1290890

That is, of course, only if you still need an indy.

My Cars
    11' 135i and 97 E39er
    Quote Originally Posted by 7series98 View Post
    there is Bimmer South in Bogart, Ga

-1 for bimmer south
    Tsw Volcano Staggered 19's, H&R and Bilsteins,
    M5 Rear sway, Ceramics and cross drilled Rotors, Supersprint Rear, Kelleners Pully Kit,
    M50 Manifold,
    The ghetto cut out of the intake silencer CAI, Shark (soon to be replaced by AA for manifold),
    Hamann Rear roof spoiler,
    Hella Euros, Dice and XM
    5 for 5

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Engine ground good?
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    '04 T4R '13 328i '14 i3
    German Car Repair
    1240 Alpharetta St # 3C
    Roswell, GA 30075-8402