Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use CarSoft cable with INPA and DIS

My Cars
    Hi there foks.

Randomy/david mc, I need your help..

I follow your guide exactly until the point where I reach the reading bit using INPA. I just won't work. The carsoft interface works when I use the orgiginal carsoft program,I am able to receive ECU data. After this when I try to connect via INPA(.ipo) I get this and then this error message.

I use carsoft 6.5 interface, big (round) connector under hood on a E36.

Few questions;
    -what about the Ip configuratio in edibas.ini; why should it be 192.168.68.1? I use 1 real wifi card and 2 fake vmware adapters. I gave vmnet1 this ip. is that correct? then after this ran obdsetup.exe
    -should I copy the original obd.ini to win/sys/sys32 dirs?
    -when installing standard tools should I selcet obd or ads?
    -is making multiple adapters with vmware in this stage of the process already necessary?
    -is running IFHservice in this stage of the process already necessary?
    -is running the diaghead emulator in this stage of the process already necessary?
    -should I assign a standard-gateway adress to the vmnet1 adapter under tcp/ip?

Few remarks;
    -my goal is carsoft interface (both obd & round connector) for all supported bmw's (I have my owm workshop where I repair lots of bmw's)with the use of easydis44; both diagnose and program
    -easydisv44 runs with vmware
    -the ip of the pc is 192.168.1.102

Can you help me? I am in desperate mode.. spend about a week on this "project" now..
    Last edited by sphhoppenb; 01-21-2010 at 11:05 AM.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    -is making multiple adapters with vmware in this stage of the process already necessary?
    INPA works without VMware or DIS so that is irrelevant right now.

-is running IFHservice in this stage of the process already necessary?
    -is running the diaghead [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]emulator[/COLOR][/COLOR]

in this stage of the process already necessary?
    -should I assign a standard-[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]gateway[/COLOR][/COLOR]

adress to the vmnet1 adapter under tcp/ip?

No, No and it doesn't matter

Can you help me? I am in desperate mode.. spend about a week on this "project" now..

All the info needed to get this working is posted here pretty much. I had never in my life installed this software or even used a real MODIC, DIS, DISplus, GT1, etc for more than 10 minutes until sometime in the year 2010 and I was able to get it working. Now I do have a strong background in networking and Linux, but the concept is simple. DISplus connects to diaghead via Ethernet network. DISplus runs in VMware as we can see, diaghead runs on your Windows PC. You need to use the facilities provided in VMware to create a virtual "workshop network" this network does not need to talk to the outside world, only between the DIS software and the diaghead. So in VMware you are not creating a NAT or bridged network. Obviously in this case the default gateway is not relevant.

Also if you plan to use this professionally I would look into an interface that can detect battery and ignition I am not aware a way to modify the CarSoft interface to do so.

My Cars
    BMW 530

Stuck during initial install

randomy,
    I'm getting stuck early in the install process. See the screenshot below. I'm not able to put check marks in the boxes because they are grayed out. Any suggestions?

Last edited by geobrick; 01-24-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: didn't finish the post

My Cars
    92 325i, 95 318ic
    This is not the same version as referred to in this thread.

Maybe it's incomplete.

Post the screen shots of each step before the one that causes problems.

Here's a video clip that may help

video clip
    Last edited by darkislight; 01-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    darkislight

My Cars
    BMW 530
    I agree that it's not the same version (Plus I'm using Windows 7).

The system runs the carsoft software (6.5) without a problem plus I can use XP mode or the XP virtual machine.

Here are the screen shots at each step.

Quote Originally Posted by darkislight View Post

Here's a video clip that may help

video clip

Based on the video, there are a lot of steps leading up to randomy's instructions. Like first installing the software from the CD image file before ever getting to step 1.
    Last edited by geobrick; 01-24-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
    randomy,
    I'm getting stuck early in the install process. See the screenshot below. I'm not able to put check marks in the boxes because they are grayed out. Any suggestions?
    Do you have a 326 MB INPA.iso?

Run Programminstallation\install.exe THEN run Referenz\INSTALL\Instprog.exe

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Thanks Joako.

My initial thought was to install the program using the auto-run setup on the CD iso file but randomy's instructions start with running "Instprog.exe" in the "Referenz\INSTALL" folder. I only realized his write-up didn't cover the CD install until after watching the Video link above (from darkislight).

I now have it installed but I'm getting an interface communication error when selecting the E39 with the M54 and MS43 "IHF-0003: DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED. PROGRAM WILL BE STOPPED"

The interface works fine with the carsoft program (I'm using the 16 pin rectangle connector) but I can't seem to get IPNA to work with it.

Last edited by geobrick; 01-25-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Fixed merged double post.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Do you scan something in carsoft and then without disconnecting the plug or turning the ignition off scan it in INPA?

Vag KKL cable really seems the way to go. I got the 20 pin to OBD adapter today but then broke the usb cables on the other one!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Will this work with the latest official carsoft cables or just the 6.5? Kinda bummed my x431 does everything carsoft does minus ews sync.

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Do you scan something in carsoft and then without disconnecting the plug or turning the ignition off scan it in INPA?

Vag KKL cable really seems the way to go. I got the 20 pin to OBD adapter today but then broke the usb cables on the other one!
    I ran a scan with carsoft and then went right into trying to use IPNA.

Let me be sure of something. I am using the rectangle 16 pin connector. I'm assuming this is called the OBD connector. During the IPNA setup, I chose STD:OBD as the interface. Was that that correct? Should I have selected something else?

Update: I was able to use IPNA with the carsoft interface by reinstalling and selecting ADS instead of STD:OBD during the setup. I read codes and also did something with the headlights (some adjustment mode). What I really want to do is play with the programming for things like daytime running lights or door locks. Which program does that?
    Last edited by geobrick; 01-30-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Updated

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    For what car?

My Cars
    BMW 530
    For what car?
    It's a 2001 530 (E39).

I read a thread where someone said they used "NCS Expert" for this. I'm going to try that later today.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    The best/simplest (IMO) way to do for older cars (E39, E46, etc) is get DIS v44 and it has car and key memory settings.

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Thanks for that information. I plan to try DIS soon (It seems to require running a virtual machine which I have never done but I'll learn it one day).

So far I've been following instructions on a Polish website that explains the use of NCS Expert and it seems to be working for me. I used Google translate and managed to get through it. http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

Before I read it that site, I managed to (accidently) reset all the parameters back to their default settings. Now I get a chirp on locking and unlocking the car and I'm pretty sure the daytime running lights are now deactivated. Hopefully with the instructions above, I'll be able to figure out how to set it up the way I want it. In my opinion, BMW should have allowed user settings to be configurable by the user. We shouldn't be required to go to the dealer for this.
    Last edited by geobrick; 03-05-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: fixed link

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    If you do ZCS coding it resets your car & key memory....

My Cars
    BMW 530
    If you do ZCS coding it resets your car & key memory....
    That's probably what I did because I was just poking around with the mouse when I couldn't figure out what the proper steps were. Things certainly happened while I was doing that. I knew it wasn't good?

Now that I've read the translated version of the Polish forum post, I figured out that I had to create a profile in expert mode and then edit it to include certain items. I'm going to try to set it up later today.

I still need to figure out the "S" and "I" designations in the parameter settings. From what I have gathered so far, "S" is the standard setting and "I" is the Individual setting. My assumption is that the "S" means the default setting and the "I" is what I set it to. But then how can a parameter have both an "S" and an "I" setting? Maybe the "I" means that the setting can be tied to a specific users key. I suppose I'll find out later. There are a ton of parameters that can be set.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    You probably just read the ZCS coding and wrote it back.

My Cars
    BMW 530

Translation please....

You probably just read the ZCS coding and wrote it back.
    I finally figured out how to get NCS Expert to work.

I've figured out what most of the settings are but there are a few that use too many acronyms so Google's translator was no help.

For example: I figured out:
    “Assuntemp Warnung Gong” means “Outside Temperature Warning Gong”

But I’m having trouble with some others like:
    “BC_KL_R” (Settings are Active or Not Active – Default is active)
    “HBA DSC 5 7” (Settings are various values – It’s set to “Value 3” (Wert 03)
    “Ged FL ALS DRL” Assuming DRL is Daytime Running Lights but what is the rest? (Settings are Active or Not Active – Default is Not Active)
    “Fussraumkurven” Google translates as “Foot space curves” – That’s no help - It’s set for the default value 02.
    “Auto ZV Disable” This one is English but what is “ZV”? – I think it turns on (or off the parameter above it which chooses the auto seat adjustment mode).

Can anyone help?

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
    I finally figured out how to get NCS Expert to work.
    Do you care to share?

BC = Board computer (usually)
    HBA = Hydraulic Brake Assist
    **** I WOULD NOT TOUCH THOSE UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY SPECIFIC REASON TO CHANGE IT!

DRL should be TFL in German (TagFahrLicht== DayDrivingLight)

Fussraumkurven probably should be spelled Fußraumkurven (ß = "sharp s" and ss can be substituted) = Foot Area Curve. I am confused as you. Maybe they mean foot area vents (Klappe)??

ZV = Central Locking (Zentral Verriegeln)
    Does NCS let you read out the settings? You could try to toggle in DIS Car & Key memory and see what NCS then says.
    Last edited by joako; 02-02-2010 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Do you care to share?
    Thanks for the information.

I can share more detail on how I did it soon. Most of what I learned is from the translation link I put in post #64.

I have the carsoft interface (from Hong Kong) and Carsoft 6.5. First I run carsoft and get the interface to communicate with the car (I run a single diagnostic). When that works, I close carsoft then run IPNA. I select my car type (E39) and run a single Diagnostic using IPNA to make sure it's also communication with the car. Then end IPNA completely (including the other server portion that starts when you run the diagnostic). For future use, you can skip the IPNA part and go from the carsoft step straight to NCS Expert (It just verifies the interface can be used with the BMW tools). Run NCS expert as described in the link in post 64. It works. I can read the settings and change the ones I want to change. I was able to turn off the chirps that acknowledge lock and unlock and if I wanted to, change many other settings. Including the auto door locks at set speeds (I've seen someone named bluebee looking for that capability).

One note. Even though I am using the OBD interface, I had to choose ADS during the IPNA install to get it to work. I think it may be that the carsoft interface is actually an ADS interface with a conversion to OBD. To the computer, it probably appears as an ADS interface.

By the way, I did this all using a PC with Windows 7 (32 bit).

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    I am using CarSoft 6.5 cable as OBD. When I take apart the cable the back of the PCB reads "OBD Factory." I have all the running INPA and DIS stuff down but no idea on NCS. I will check out the link on post 64.

My Cars
    m3
    Cool, it works now

Great Article about HID Kits

My Cars
    E38 728i sixstraight

carsoft cable on inpa

hi there
    i am an owner of a 95 728i from the netherlands
    and i am working on the post of getting carsoft interface working on inpa but i am getting nuts i think
    i tried everything to make it work but on carsoft perfect but on inpa no way
    i opened my 20 pin connector and looked wich were connected
    these are
    pin 7
    pin 14
    pin 15
    pin 17
    pin 19
    pin 20
    i know i mis the connection to see ignition turned on and off
    who knowes the sollution
    or who can provide me the pin out of the inpa connector

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Do not worry about the pinout of the cable.

Can you run carsoft software and scan a module, e.g. "LCM reading" then right after open INPA and run a scan, does that work?

My Cars
    E38 728i sixstraight

carsoft interface on inpa

no that does not work i get a error warning about connection

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast