Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: NAV screen without Navigation?

My Cars
    2004 330xi

NAV screen without Navigation?

I have a project in mind and I need some advice...

Is it possible to install the OEM navigation headunit and NOT have it run the navigation system? I would like to have the stock LCD screen for things like the radio display and Sirius display. I don't "need" the mapping feature, and don't want to have to gut my interior to run the wiring harness to the trunk. So I guess my question is, is it possible to make this work without the trunk-mounted system?

Alternatively, would an E39 Business CD work/fit in an E46? I'm a bit bored with the stock e46 business CD and would like something a little more interesting, but still BMW. ...Just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by redrum0486; 09-20-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    I am curious about this as well... I have wondered the same thing.
    VP Electricity

2007 E91 328xi T Premium Nav BT CA - PnP custom audio system by musicar northwest

My Cars
    2004 330xi
    I have been doing some on-line research and from the few things I have read, you can run the LCD screen sans the navigation with the TV tuner installed as it will run the video needed for the radio and OBC instead of the navigation computer. I don't know if this is true or not. I was hoping the LCD screen would be able to run standalone without anything additional (as in just swapping head units).

My thoughts on the E39 CD player was to relocate the HVAC down like you would in Nav cars, and put in the E39 Business CD, which has a larger display. I have no clue if they are even the same size and bolting pattern, and if the E39 would support Sirius.

My Cars
    E39 540i
    I would just like to use the 4:3 Nav screen for the radio and DICE Ipod controls, but haven't found any info if I can just do the swap. The TV tuner should just be a TV tuner, but I don't know.

I suck at "search."

My Cars
    2007 BMW E92 325i Coupe
    Yes you need the TV Tuner or a nav drive to run the screen which is ok, if your running the TV Tuner you will not be able to update firmware on the screen etc, so the onscreen graphics will always look kinda oldschool.

But that may not bother you.

My Cars
    01 740i, 89 Esprit....
    The "Nav" screen in our cars can be driven by either the trunk mounted Navigation unit, a BMW TV tuner, a BMW video module, or even an aftermarket setup that can handle an RGsB output and the low resolution. If your car already has the required harnesses in place (and they would be in place, only if your car came with a screen), then it's a simple matter of just adding the TV tuner or the video module in the trunk.

If no harness, then you need to procure a used or new harness, run it all the from the trunk to the screen (goes under the carpet, pretty much the entire interior of the car has to come out to run the harness properly), and then install the TV tuner/VM.

I really wouldn't recommend an aftermarket unit driving the screen, as it's a sync-on-green display with a 400x234 resolution, and very few units can handle that older sync type and that low resolution. In addition, with an aftermarket setup, the knobs and buttons won't work, unless you figure out a way to hack them (which can be done, but it not easy).

My Cars
    97 E36, 05 E85, 02 E46
    Sorry to dig up an 11 y/o post but I'm kinda stuck in this boat:

Imola Red 2003 E46 330Ci (facelift) with factory wide screen, HK sound and analogue TV tuner.

The screen is being run by the analogue TV tuner and I would like to add a mark 3 or 4 to get 'start up' graphics (M logo as E39source - Ryan's car). I would also like to add digital radio and GPS navigation if possible.

My questions are:
    1) Does my existing wiring cover my needs for what I'm attempting or will I need a new harness or two. If so which ones and any splicing involved?
    2) Parts I'm thinking I'll need - a BM53 module, digital TV module, Mark 3/4 GPS module, a GPS cable and Navigation CD/DVD. What am I missing?
    3) If I were to forget about digital radio and Navigation, could I simply plug in a mark 3/4 to get the updated skin (after firmware update installation); OR, do I still need a BM53?
    4) Any other info, thoughts that I may have overlooked?

Thanks

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Hashk,

Perhaps would have been best to create a new thread !

You may need to research further and perhaps ask on the e46 fanatics forum as well about these aspects.

1. I'd say the loom is already in place for you to plug in a Mk4 GPS computer. This is what most owners who *must* keep the OEM system and modules upgrade to. It has the benefit of being able to drive the widescreen monitor directly so you won't/don't need the TV tuner or Video Module anymore.
    2. If you wish to add the OEM Hybrid Analogue/Digital Tuner, I think that'd be a case of swapping into where the current TV tuner is plugged into. Right now I can't remember what broadcast signal Australian Digital TV is, so just ensure whichever Hybrid Unit you get is compatible with the DTV transmission system in use there in Australia. If it's the same as the UK one perhaps, then it widens the market for you to search a unit out. Keep in mind though, that actual DTV reception on the move could be/will be patchy depending on the signal strength.
    3. To add Digital Radio to the OEM system, you'd need the Intravee 2 and the very very, very, very .. very rare Alpine TUA-T100 DAB tuner. As per above, I'm not sure what broadcast standard Australia uses for Digital Radio, so if the TUA-T100 DAB supports the system in use there, it'll work. Keep in mind to feed it a good signal so you may need to think about an external roof mounted antenna, perhaps by using one of the new low profile shark fin type antennas some of which have a 2-6 inch antenna mast. If the Alpine isn't compatible, then I'm not sure there's a version which is compatible and you may have to look to other ways of getting Digital Radio - over here in the UK, Carphonics (I know the owner of the company) piggybacks a normal Digital TV box into the OEM modules and part of that is the reception of digital radio stations. This option isn't controllable by the oem modules though, so you'd need to use the supplied remote control and affix the IR recieving eye somewhere in the dash. The Mk3 GPS computer will still need you to have a video module or TV tuner to be able to drive the monitor, no one really wants the Mk3, everyone wants the Mk4. As you already have the HK amp, I don't think you need the BM53/4 unit but, I'm not 100% on that, so more research needed.
    4. Overall, I'd say that to keep the OEM setup working and functional, it's the most expensive route for the multimedia in these cars (E39/E53/E38 included) as each module has multiple points of failure and they're relatively expensive to fix/repair. When you then also want to 'add on' with extra functionality, the cost level rises again. Would you also want Bluetooth for phone calls? up until now, the OEM setup doesnt allow BT audio streaming but an enthusiast in the USA has just made the 'BlueBus' available which is a ground up, new development unit with more functionality that plugs into the OEM setup and provides a new BT chip for the latest phones and future ones to work well, BT audio streaming and some audio and functionality features. UK pricing once landed comes in at around £220/230 or so, so in Australian Dollars plus perhaps a little more for shipping there's this option for you. If you then wish to improve the sound quality of the setup, it's more spend again! In our family previously, we had a 2003 Alpina B3S convertible with the HK setup/GPS/Widescreen setup and for me, it sounded mediocre at best. I know others aren't into good sound quality etc so for them it may wel have been fine and perhaps thats the same for you too. Overall, I'd say value for money on keeping and improving the OEM setup isn't cost effective, but that is a decision for you of course!

Cheers, Dennis!