Thread: door lock and hazard lights not working

My Cars
    BMW 325ci

door lock and hazard lights not working

I have a 2005 BMW 325ci and the door lock button and hazard lights button stopped working. I checked the fuse diagram and the only thing I can see that looks remotely close to either of those on the 'key' is 'central locking'.

I replaced all 3 of those fuses and neither button works still.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I should check or if I'm even working with the right fuses?

My Cars
    2004 330xi
    I don't know how to fix this, but I looked at a 2002 325xi with the same problem. I suspect this is pretty common and I'm sure someone will chime in with a fix. Also, I've noticed the door lock button on my console doesn't work if the key isn't in the ignition.

My Cars
    05 545i, 03 X5
    Most likely, the bottom of the switch has broken off. Pop the switch out, glue the bottom back on and all should be good.

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    I also am having this problem...I will try that. If that doesnt work, do's anybody know where to buy a replacement switch other than the dealer?
    Happy Motoring....and rock on with your badself!!

My Cars
    E46 323Ci 5-speed
    I just fixed mine today. The bottom of the switch has pathetically thin plastic clips holding it together. They break, and when you push the button all you're doing is pushing the bottom of the switch out.

Take off the shift boot to remove two screws holding the front of the center console down. Next, remove the rear cigarette tray, and then the entire cigarette tray mounting bin by removing the two screws at the bottom (unplug the light before jerking it out!). Underneath the tray bin are two more screws. Remove these as well.

Then, remove the rear portion of the trim piece, the part that wraps around the arm rest. It unclips from the rest of the center console around the edge of the rear cigarette tray. Now you can lift up the front portion enough so that you can reach under it and push the switch up through it. Get some glue or duct tape to fix the switch.

Entire operation takes 10 to 20 minutes, and I was being extremely careful to avoid scratching any of my interior trim pieces.
    Last edited by philipp122; 09-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325ci
    Thanks Philipp. I am gonna do a fix tomm on this. Thanks for the detailed DIY tip.
    Happy Motoring....and rock on with your badself!!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

Just did it on a 2004 325i

I just did the fix on a 2004 325i. This was driving me nuts that the switch would stop working. Poor design on these switches. Two pieces of small plastic were broken off. A little electrical tape around the switch and it is as good as new.

Couple of tips. Pop out the gear shift cover. Unscrew the first screws you see closest to you. Then lift up the plastic wood grain piece and unscrew those screws. Then go to the rear ash tray and remove (watch out for the light connector). Remove the plastic screws and then pull out the ash tray holder, then remove two more screws. Next you will want to remove the cover over the parking break (pops out pretty easily). Then place the arm rest close to 90 degrees up. This will allow you to work out the center console.

You can then pop out the hazard / door lock switch.

In my case on side both pieces of plastic were broken off. I used two pieces of electrical tape and tested.

I forgot to plug back in the light for the ash tray... not a big deal since I don't need it, but just a thought to not over look it when putting everything back together.

Thanks for the tip (saved me $50 and the hassle of turning the car in for a warranty repair). Took about 15 to 20 minutes as you stated.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    You don't need to remove all those trim/console pieces. Just lift up the shift boot, remove the two screws holding the shifter surround in place, lift up the shifter surround just a bit, then stick your fingers under there and push the button assembly up and out.

My Cars
    2001 330ci

Door locks and hazards not working

I have a 2002 330ci and the advice in this thread worked out great!! I was excited that I didn't have to take it into the shop and get bent over. 30 minutes and some electrical tape is all it takes.

Thanks Fellas!!

My Cars
    BMW 325ci
    I had this issue but my Hazards wouldn't turn off. So I just unplugged the switch which controls the hazards and the lock buttons.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak01 View Post
    ..........get bent over
    Mouth open ^^^^^^^^, bent over......................I don't get it........oh.....wait......I see what you did there....or what they did there.
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-26-2010 at 10:41 AM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2000 528i,2004 325Xi
    Thank you guys this really helped me out. My wife has a 2004 325xi and I followed the instructions. Last week I did the sunroof cassette track or whatever it's called. The point being, I saved a lot of money doing this with the help of this forum.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325Ci Conv.
    Thanks for the instructions! I have a 2001 325CI and your instructions allowed me to fix the hazard lights and lock buttons!

My Cars
    325i touring
    Pardon the resurrection , but had the Oh $hit moment when I needed the hazard lights today, and nothing....

Simple fix thanks to the forum and this thread.

I smeared a little JB Quick around the broken switch housing tabs before snugging it all down with a little electrical tape.
    325iT
    "hypocrite, four-flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler, and wolf in sheep's clothing....liar."
    www.oldschoolaudio.co

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I took my 2002 325i in to the dealer for a recall and asked the mechanic about the problem with the with console switches and he said he would diagnose it. They charged me $120 dolloars to diagnose it and told me the problem was a defective control module ($878 dollars plus 3 hours of Labor). I left and found this Thread. In 10 minutes it was fixed.

THANKS.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

Easy, simple and it works! Thanks philipp122

Hey guys. I have a 2004 BMW 325i and I just did the repair today. Since I got the car over two weeks ago I've been dreading to take it to my mechanic to service. After reading this forum just two days ago, I finally decided to do it. It's as simple as philipp122 said it is. I am no handy man, however I felt like I grew some hair after ripping apart my console to due this. My suggest on the electrical tape is to use sissors because if you cut with your teeth or hands the tape kinda shrivels up which makes it hard to fit the switch box back in. Just my opinion, but I did use enough electrical tape to wire the entire city of Vegas though. But no matter which variation you use, if works like a charm. Now if I could only get someone to assist me on buying and install a window regulator for my driver's side window which decided to crap out the other day. Anyways good luck and again thanks for the post because you guys rock!

Sim Simmer, who got the keys to my Bimmer
    - Gem Geek

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4

Thumbs up Hazards and door locks inoperative

Quote Originally Posted by gemgeek View Post
    Hey guys. I have a 2004 BMW 325i and I just did the repair today. Since I got the car over two weeks ago I've been dreading to take it to my mechanic to service. After reading this forum just two days ago, I finally decided to do it. It's as simple as philipp122 said it is. I am no handy man, however I felt like I grew some hair after ripping apart my console to due this. My suggest on the electrical tape is to use sissors because if you cut with your teeth or hands the tape kinda shrivels up which makes it hard to fit the switch box back in. Just my opinion, but I did use enough electrical tape to wire the entire city of Vegas though. But no matter which variation you use, if works like a charm. Now if I could only get someone to assist me on buying and install a window regulator for my driver's side window which decided to crap out the other day. Anyways good luck and again thanks for the post because you guys rock!

Sim Simmer, who got the keys to my Bimmer
    - Gem Geek
    --> I have a 2004 X5 too -- and was able to just pop the switch assembly out (using a flat-head screwdriver) and found that the bottom of the HAZARDS switch was broken and the plug was also loose. Reseated the plug, used a small piece of duct-tape and system is working great now! Thanks to this thread for getting me going in the right direction. About a week after we bought it, the window regulator failed too. :sigh: It's been replaced and we are digging this vehicle now.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Oh My GOD!! Ok so yes, I'm a girl. I've been driving my damn 02 325i for about 3+ months without a functioning hazard light/door lock switch, terrified to get treated like a girl at the shop, and trust me it happens. When I told the mechanic about the problem, he simply said bring it in, leave it for the day, those things break all the time. I'll order you a new one. Then I found YOU GUYS!!!! Holy Crap Batman!! I printed out your awesome step by step guidance comments and within 10 minutes I had popped out the switch (which had broken off on the bottom, just like you said!) I held it together in my hand and pressed the buttons and just like THAT! YAY ME!! I taped it back nice and tight with electrical tape, and the part that took the longest was putting to console back together cuz I wanted to clean around the seams.. how I have flashers again and a lock switch that works for my passengers FREE!! FREE!!! FREE!! Thank you so much!!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    I too am a girl and was able to fix my door lock/hazard issue myself in about 15 minutes...THANKS YOU GUYS!! My mechanic was trying to sell me on some module thing for about $800...what a turd. Anywho, I'm glad I found this. Thanks again

My Cars
    BMW 318i M43, E46, 2000
    Thank you all for your input. Sorted my 318i in 20min. Very simple task.

My Cars
    Pontiac, BMW
    So I swe this thread and it helped a lot! Then I got confused and my husband and I couldn't figure out how to fix it..

We found AN EASIER WAY!

2 things.. you can take apart the front colsol and unplug the writing from the hazards and lock/ unlock buttons. Then you can pop it right up, tape it then pop it back in! Be careful though! It will go flying!

Another way is by having a teeny tiny tool and using that to pull the little box right out of the thing! No deassembly necessary! Literally takes 2 mins if you have something to get under the little strip of plastic between the two buttons.

Anyway.. figured I would share!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci cabriolet
    An old thread but I'm glad I found it. I borrowed 2 bobby pins from Upper Management, bent the ends into a short L hook, pulled the switch out, glued the bottom back on and reinstalled it. Total time was about 8 minutes, most of which was spent negotiating for the bobby pins. The switch pulls out easily, no need to disassemble anything on the console.