Thread: DIY - Comfort Relay / Auxiliary Relay Panel

My Cars
    1993 325is / Mazda 3

DIY - Comfort Relay / Auxiliary Relay Panel

Vehicle Used in this DIY: 1993 325IS, Coupe and Manual Transmission.

Problem: Windows and sunroof just stopped working. This also covers how to access the Auxiliary Relay Panel which is where the following relays reside- Comfort Relay, Crash Control Module, Park Ventilation Relay, EWS II transmitter/receiver module.

Tools Required:

#2 Phillips Screw Driver
    10mm Socket
    3" Extension

Step 1- Disconnect the battery.

Step 2- Remove the 2 phillips head screws. Pull the lower left dash panel left and back to disengage the drivers footwell retaining clips.

When you pull the panel down you will see this round thing (I looked in all my books and I still have no idea what this is for please someone tell me).

Step 3- Remove the drivers side knee bolster. There are 3 10mm bolts holding this in place. You will need an extension to reach them.

(the red/gray circles indicate where the 3 10mm bolts attach just for referance)

Step 4- Disengage the 2 clips on each side of the auxiliary relay panel. These come of very easily.

Step 5- To remove the relay twist the relay lightly to the left and right while pulling it.

Step 6- Install new relay and lock auxiliary panel back into place.

Step 7- Reinstall the knee bolster back into place. Start with the bolt closest to the center of the car first as if you start with one of the outer 2 than you might not line the bolster up properly.

Step 8- Reinstall the lower dash panel starting down low near the floor and pushing the "front" (closest to the engine) in and then lifting the "back" (near the steering wheel) up and into place. Be sure to check that the footwell retaining clip engages. If it seems like you cant push the back in for the screw to reach than you dont have the clip engaged.

Step 9- Install the 2 #2 Phillips screws.

Step 10- Reconnect the battery.

There you go my first diy.... It did not fix my problem but it at least explains how to get to the auxiliary relay panel. If you want smaller pictures to print out just click on the picture that will bring you to a page that will allow you to pick smaller sizes (500 x 333, 240 x 160, 100 x 67). Below I just posted some extra pictures for reference.

And yes my drivers side door panel is off in these pictures.

My Cars
    95 325 I Convertible
    Very nice DIY, Sorry it didn't fix your problem.

My Cars
    1994 325IS, 1989 325IC
    I went through the same procedure to fix the same problems with the sunroof and windows. The relay did not fix it. Turned out to be a fuse for the dome light. Go figure. Works fine now. I don't recall which fuse it was but just check them all and replace any that are bad.

My Cars
    1993 325is / Mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by motoyoyo View Post
    I went through the same procedure to fix the same problems with the sunroof and windows. The relay did not fix it. Turned out to be a fuse for the dome light. Go figure. Works fine now. I don't recall which fuse it was but just check them all and replace any that are bad.
    Thanks I will go try that now.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Bump for DIY thread!

My Cars
    1993 325is / Mazda 3
    Not to bring this thread back from the dead but it ended up being the central locking fuse. Go figure.

My Cars
    1993 325i Four Door
    Just did the soldering fix to my comfort relay. everything works perfect now

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Thanks for this, good DIY need to try this both by windows don't like to go up all the way without repeatedly depressing the switch. The round thing is the gong, like when you turn off your car leave the key in and open your door, the ding ding ding comes from that if I'm not mistaken

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    316i
    Hy, could some one tell me please what the PINK wire is for ? Some car's have it, some don't....
    I know that RED is continous power, VIOLET/YELLOW is from ZVM (central locking) and BROWN is for MASS.

So what is the PINK wire for ?

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    I tried this fix & it wasn't the problem on my 98 328is. It looks like someone has been in the fuses and under dash wiring area before, so........here we go!?

My Cars
    1993 325i
    Thanks for an excellent DIY. I used this to install a new comfort relay, and it was exactly as posted.

I appreciate it.
    It's not about getting from point A to B, it's about every curve in between.

My Cars
    1994 353is 1995 M3
    my relay is orange not blue...... is that weird?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowze View Post
    my relay is orange not blue...... is that weird?
    You have a 94 so you dont have a comfort relay. They were only used in the 92 and 93 e36's.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Jim View Post
    Thanks for an excellent DIY. I used this to install a new comfort relay, and it was exactly as posted.

I appreciate it.
    Thank you! I just followed your nstructions and now all windows are working!

My Cars
    1993 bmw 325i
    Omg, you Rick Thank you so much your thread helped me out big time. I searched the Internet and came across this and know my windows work. Thank you so much ^_^

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Thread Resurrection, I know...

Dealing with this already changed the relay, tested the relay it clicks... When reinstalled windows dont work unless I manually close the relay with by pushing on internals to close the circuit. Any know what could cause the relay to not close?

...When you get a blackeye from trying to change the shift knob.

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    it was fuse #43 under the hood that was actually blown. Its the fuse for the "makeup mirror" but it controls the windows too.

Thanks!

...When you get a blackeye from trying to change the shift knob.