Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E36 Rare Parts Post

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Did he turn you into a newt?

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

I did turn few into newts but after feeling sorry this sourcery I reversed the procedure and they are all back into their original form and shape, lol.

The seat memory switches are used to control some of the ambient lights in the center console, some are left extras in case I need them for future.

The door lights are disabled with one of the switches in the door panels.
    When the door opens the lights turn on only in that particular door (any door that is closed the lights are off), there are warning lights and puddle lights on each door.
    I wanted them to be capable of turning them off sometimes when the engine is not running and the doors require to stay open for longer periods of time, to save the battery life. Microswitch acts as a on/off line but to save it I have added relays on both sides so the microswitch acts as a trigger.
    After you only route the door lights + or - wire via an on/off switch (kill switch).
    Other buttons on door panels control the ambient dome lights, footwell lights and the door pocket lights.
    Buttons on seats control rear footwell lights and rear footwell ambient lights.

I did not like how in all BMW that do have the puddle lights or footwell lights (rear as well) when any side door opens the other side of lights also turns on even if that door is closed, to me this does not look good, so I made these to turn on only on that side that door opens and turn off immediately when door closes. It looks simple but actually it is not that simple.

See pictures of both doors open with illumination on and warning & puddle lights on, 3rd picture pass. door closed and warning & puddle light off on that side.
    Also I did try to take pictures of front and rear footwell ambient lights (for example see the door is open but front and rear footwell lights are turned off with their assigned switches), they actually do look much better live than what pictures show.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C
    I just did mods that I wanted and kind of liked them, there are well over 70 mods done here and still this M3 looks and is so much factory stock.
    Motorsport handles are expensive (got them from BMW) but I added the ilumination just to be in par with the newest BMW models that have this special feature.

I am going to list few more rare parts and some are so rare that I think no other E36 (M3) to date has them.

-Special design sunroof motor cover with BMW Homelink, front domelight from E39 M5 with illuminated buttons, bluetooth hands free phone mic.
    -Rear headlining domelight with illuminated control buttons.
    -Glovebox mounted BMW USB socket for MP3 audio,
    -Center console BMW USB iphone charger + Audio Aux-In, all illuminated
    Where did you get that illuminated aux and USB port?
    I think I might add the foot lights for the back now... And an LED for the door handles. Activated with a switch

My Cars
    supercharged 1999 318is
    i think the rarest option i have and i dont even think mpara has these are the full leather doorcards and centre console etc

i have a few acs bits that are pretty rare nowadays but dont know if they count as OEM?

*******supercharged 318is*******

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    ^^
    The fool leather and rear panels is one of the few things missing, but seeing how many times you scuff your shoes against the lower doorcard portion, I'm not sure I even want them. I'm 6'4 and a size 12 shoes so getting in and out when in tight places is a sure shoescuff.

I also don't have the leather seat backs.

However, I do have the full leather lower dash section.

I still need to see of seat memory would be possible on E36 seats by using E38 memory motors or at least the controllers. I really want to fit the M123 memory switches in the doorcards so there is some extra lights in there as well.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    supercharged 1999 318is
    i have scuffed them a few times but the scuffmaster always brings them back up like new!
    i also have full leather backs with cargo nets on my vaders! just looking for the under dash extended leather now and i'll be happy

*******supercharged 318is*******

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    ...The seat memory switches are used to control some of the ambient lights in the center console, some are left extras in case I need them for future....

The door lights are disabled with one of the switches in the door panels.... Other buttons on door panels control the ambient dome lights, footwell lights and the door pocket lights. Buttons on seats control rear footwell lights and rear footwell ambient lights....

I [arranged the door and puddle lights] to turn on only on that side that door opens and turn off immediately when door closes. It looks simple but actually it is not that simple....
    I'm impressed. A lot of thought and time must have gone into your work – probably a lot more than many realize!

I, myself, have been working hard on the car's lighting, to slip in some refinements before it is too cold to work outside. It's a little crazy the number of details you discover and need to address if you consider something long enough. A big refinement, I hope, will be to get my mixed incandescent/LED interior lighting to dim properly.
    Last edited by johnf; 11-18-2012 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy328is
    My Car is Madeira Violette. I believe there are 3 in the US. I also added the 2 button Euro Fog switch, to control my angel eyes.

~Phil
    To control your headlights? So you can turn of the angel lights and then go back to stock lighting? .-.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv17

This.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by MechEng7 View Post
    This.
    It's an original BMW piece (as fitted to newer models, but fits exactly in on the the switch placeholders in front of our gearstick) but modified by M3C to have illumination as the stock BMW part doesn't have it.

IG:

My Cars
    BMW M3

E36 rare mods

Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
    I think I might add the foot lights for the back now... And an LED for the door handles. Activated with a switch
    From BMW or search the web for other sources, there are few versions but in general these are standard or optional on most new BMWs, I just wanted to have both of them illuminated which BMW does not provide this feature, so in a way this is something that you can't find even in the newest BMW models.
    See the picture of the other USB port illuminated (when main headlight switch is turned on).

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    I'm impressed. A lot of thought and time must have gone into your work – probably a lot more than many realize!

I, myself, have been working hard on the car's lighting, to slip in some refinements before it is too cold to work outside. It's a little crazy the number of details you discover and need to address if you consider something long enough. A big refinement, I hope, will be to get my mixed incandescent/LED interior lighting to dim properly.
    John,
    endless time was spent, yards and yards of wiring, soldering wire, shrink tubing, friction tape, parts, ideas etc.
    Thanks for the support & info you provided me with and always answering my questions.

-Special design Interior buttons w/matching LED illumination
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M3C; 11-24-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: update

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    That looks great. I was glad to help out.

I am now driving my LED overhead lights with a square-law dimming curve which pretty well matches them to the incandescent footwell units. The LED lights still turn on with a little bit of a jump but that may be from their on-board switch-mode regulators.
    Last edited by johnf; 11-24-2012 at 05:23 AM.

My Cars
    1992 535iA (Winter DD)
    MParallel... you should do a S62 swap instead of the S54.... would be so rare to see that OEM aftermarket option in a e36 vert.
    Current:
    1992 535iA
    2000 540i/6 sport

Past:
    1990 535iA (R.I.P.)
    1994 325i/5 (Sold)

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by stacks View Post
    MParallel... you should do a S62 swap instead of the S54.... would be so rare to see that OEM aftermarket option in a e36 vert.
    I heard that engine had it's problems and Alpina already did the E36 V8.

If I would have money for such a project it would be the S85 V10.

IG:

My Cars
    95 m3
    props people, love these pics, keep em coming
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325i
    hmmmmmmmmmm bump

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The most rare item on any car in my opinion is the OEM lighter, every car I have ever owned has had this missing, this is also the one that came with the car out of the factory.
    lighter.jpg

center consol.jpg
    1993 325is 5speed mauritiusblau-metallic(in project mode)

My Cars
    92 nv 2.5 stroker
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbrn View Post
    They are if they are the 17 x 7.5 with +41 offset.
    Hmm had these but traded for e39 style 5

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Sweet stuff in here, subscribed
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    1993 325i, E46 2000
    Up

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Time to kick this back up as a rare part has shown up on German Ebay.

These are original Class II rod's to fix in place the extendable lip in the most extended position.

Yours for €880

A guy I spoke to today picked up probably one of the rarest of rare parts, a set of the original Class II spoiler's gurney flaps. Should have some pics soon.

IG:

My Cars
    98 M3
    Never mounted class 2 spoiler with third brake light
    Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr
    Carbon LTW door sills (not really rare), Black rain interior (semi rare), LTW carbon glovebox trim (really rare)

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I got door panels. Haha
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Sorry, the glovebix trim is not rare, not more rare than the doorsills. Doesn't mean they don't look great.

IG:

My Cars
    96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Controls for some interior ambient lighting and the other button is for rear power sunshade.

Also I think it is very rare: exterior Motorsport iluminated door handles and interior iluminated door handles.
    I want the door lights, hell the doorcards too. Beautiful interior. Sigh.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast