Thread: FYI- Lifter Noise/Engine Tick Does No Harm = **FALSE!**

My Cars
    2000 323ci Convertible

FYI- Lifter Noise/Engine Tick Does No Harm = **FALSE!**

For the record, I just want to put it out there that claims of lifter noise causing no harm to your engine is total BS! I just had the latest factory service designed to resolve the issue performed on my car. It now consists of replacing all exhaust lifters with updated versions rather than replacing the entire head.

Previous to the service I'd been experiencing a noticeable drop in performance and gas mileage. When I purchased the car, I averaged approximately 20-21 MPG. Recently, just before the service, I was averaging 17 MPG and I found it necessary to drive in lower gears at higher RPMs to keep the car in the power band. I'd also noticed a faint exhaust tick when the car was on throttle under a load. This was a different noise than the lifter tick, much more faint but clearly there.

Now since the lifters were replaced, I'm back up to 21 MPG and the car runs much smoother and quieter. It's noticeable even at idle. The car also spins up much more quickly too. I even find I'm cruising in 5th and 6th gear on the freeway, which I never used before, due to lack of power. I'm just grateful to have my car back to the way it was designed to perform. So let this be a lesson, if anyone tries to tell you the noise is harmless, they're wrong.
    Last edited by VCOUI; 09-12-2009 at 04:21 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's all about the journey..." Current Bimmer: 2000 323ci Convertible

Past Bimmers: 2006 Z4 3.0si, 1997 528i, 1995 M3, 1989 325ic, 1973 2002 tii, 1987 528e, 1982 528e

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by VCOUI View Post
    For the record, I just want to put it out there that claims of lifter noise causing no harm to your engine is total BS! I just had the latest factory service designed to resolve the issue performed on my car. It now consists of replacing all exhaust lifters with updated versions rather than replacing the entire head.

Previous to the service I'd been experiencing a noticeable drop in performance and gas mileage. When I purchased the car, I averaged approximately 20-21 MPG. Recently, just before the service, I was averaging 17 MPG and I found it necessary to drive in lower gears at higher RPMs to keep the car in the power band. I'd also noticed a faint exhaust tick when the car was on throttle under a load. This was a different noise than the lifter tick, much more faint but clearly there.

Now since the lifters were replaced, I'm back up to 21 MPG and the car runs much smoother and quieter. It's noticeable even at idle. The car also spins up much more quickly too. I even find I'm cruising in 5th and 6th gear on the freeway, which I never used before, due to lack of power. I'm just grateful to have my car back to the way it was designed to perform. So let this be a lesson, if anyone tries to tell you the noise is harmless, they're wrong.
    You would expect a loss in power and fuel economy if the lifters are not fully extended, leading to increased valve clearance and the ticking noise. The fact that after lifter replacement the engine returned to normal shows that the effect on the engine is harmless (ie, no permanent damage from lifter deflation/tick to the cams or any other part of the engine).

My Cars
    2000 323ci Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
    You would expect a loss in power and fuel economy if the lifters are not fully extended, leading to increased valve clearance and the ticking noise...
    By your own admission, there is harm done.
    ...I'm confused. What's your point?
    "Sometimes, it's all about the journey..." Current Bimmer: 2000 323ci Convertible

Past Bimmers: 2006 Z4 3.0si, 1997 528i, 1995 M3, 1989 325ic, 1973 2002 tii, 1987 528e, 1982 528e

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E82 135i
    I'm confused that you are confused.

The whole question of the ticking on the N52 is whether it causes permanent damage to the engine or not. Your experience has indicated it doesn't.

While it is ticking, it causes loss in performance (expected when the valves aren't opening enough), loss in economy (expected when the valves aren't opening enough), and noise (expected when there is clearance between the lifter and valve).

The cause of all this IS a lifter that is not fully pumped up by the oil. Rectifying the issue with the lifter(s) by either driving the car hard (as we have done on our E90 on a few occasions when it has occurred), replacing the lifters (as has been done in your case) or replacing the cylinder head (as has been done in other cases) solves the problem with no perrmanent harm to the engine, as has been shown in your case. Harm to your wallet perhaps (but only when ticking, which is occasional for most people), but no harm to the engine.
    Last edited by aerobod; 09-13-2009 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    2012 Tata Indigo ECS
    Yeah! I completely agree with you. Driving your car with those noisy lifters will end up being harmful not only to your safety(like you may not be able to hear the horns, other sounds from the engine(), but also it prevents the other components of the engine from working normally. That may end up with engine collapse which will be quite expensive. So, ignoring those ticking sound is not going to be benefit in anyway.
    Some people argue that changing the oil or pouring a good oil additive will quieten the lifter noise. But, that's true to some extent.
    An article from a reputed website says:
    Here’s the list of things that could go wrong with your car.Bad lifter: A faulty or bad lifter can cause the lifter to tick. It is needed to be pulled out and repaired or should use the new one.
    Dirty Oil Deposits: These dirty oils are deposited when no regular servicing is done. They should be cleaned. Changing the oil will do the job for you.
    Bent push rod: A bent pushrod may cause the noise. This happens when the car treated like a race car i.e., by pressing the accelerator every now and then. This the pushrod bends over time. This may causenoise.
    If the push rod is bent, it isn't going to be solved by pouring the oil additive.

So? a quick check of the valve train will tell you if there’s something physically wrong with one of the parts. If not, then it’s likely that a flushing agent and an oil additive added to the fresh oil will do the trick and silence your lifters.

Then going for the oil with the density prescribed by your manufacturer will be your best go. Again I recommend changing the oil density to other than what the manufacturer recommends can make the oil too thin or too thin. Neither of them is good for your engine.

In case you're interested in reading the resource: https://soundproofxl.com/quiet-fix-n...er-tick-damage

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciferGuy View Post
    If the push rod is bent, it isn't going to be solved by pouring the oil additive.
    How many pushrods does an N52 have exactly?

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    Depends on the revision, and how many were left in the bucket nearest to whatever Carolinians were building it. Usually like ten to twenty seven pushrods. Ish.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    ‘02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    ’99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    ’04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
    Depends on the revision, and how many were left in the bucket nearest to whatever Carolinians were building it. Usually like ten to twenty seven pushrods. Ish.
    That motor was never assembled at the Bubba Makes Wheels plant in Spartanburg - they came over from Germany.
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The e90 had an known problem with random lifter noise which took BMW quite a while to come up with a recommended fix, replacing lifters. The m54 engines generally don't have lifter issues unless you run the engine low on oil which many of my customers have done, 4 qts low. You fill it up and in about 5 mins the engine is quiet once again. I have never replace any lifters in any BMW engine as far as I can remember. But if I had a clicking e46 came in and was diagnosed with lifter problems then a quote would be given, would the engine ever blow up because of ticking lifters I don't think it would
    Last edited by jclausen; 06-17-2019 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    e36 325i, e85 Z4
    My car say's it averages 29 MPG. Is it broken? What the heck?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    My car averages 22 mpg, be happy with yours