Thread: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i - help needed

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i - help needed

I am looking to buy a used 2003 Z4 with less than 30k miles , steptronic auto which has Premium and Sport Packages

The problem is - its not a CPO car and no warranty left
    so i need to do a PPI first .

What kind of issues can i expect ?
    What i need to check ?

I have 2001 5 series but this looks like totally different car

Thanks !
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-08-2009 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    I have an '05 2.5 and have had only one reliability-type problem, which was the rain sensor. BMW replaced the entire windshield to fix it.

Consumer Reports says relaibility for the '03 body hardware and audio system are below average. Everything else is average or above. They rate that year overall as better than average as a used car. However, keep in mind that '03 was the first year for the Z4.

One last caution - the convertible top motor on the older models are showing problems due to plugged drains around the motor, causing the motor to fail from being submerged. The repair is around $1K. This issue shows up often on this forum.

Also, never let the car sit in the rain with the top down. I did it and it cost me over $1K to replace the ECU under the BMW Assist controls on the console.

Good luck!!
    2005 2.5i Roadster - Sterling gray w/black interior and black top. Premium package, steptronic, leather, xenon, bluetooth, BMW Assist, BMW OEM alarm, BMW Sirius radio, Roadster Solutions windscreen, aux-in, sound generator, LeatherZ console and armrests, first-aid boxes, and Goodyear Eagle GTs.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    I usually try to never buy the first year of a new model but that's about the only input I have

My dad has a 2.5i as well and the only problem he had is the cigarette lighter break?!

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    no mechanical issues thus far on my 3.0

I had a mechanic look it over prior to buying it
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
    2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    thanks guys

and how much it can cost ? Guy wants 15K firm - 25k miles, never drove in snow

My Cars
    Z4,VR4,Vehicross

Thumbs up 03 z4

Mine was great till I ran into the same problem as caseysc1 - parts for me was the just the module under $400 and I'm back to normal.

As for audio system on the 03 mine is the Carver DSP system and all I can say is it's a great factory system but if your into replacing it with an after market one its suppose to be real difficult. As for body hardware - I haven't had any problems.

Andy

My Cars
    06 3.0 SI
    Z4's before the 04/04 build will not have one touch operation of the passenger window only the drivers side. Also there is no operation of the softtop from the key only when operated from the drivers door or from inside the car. Some had issues with sticky steering on hot days ( steering column replacement was the fix). All Z's have had issues with the front shock rubber cracking ( can be seen from engine bay by looking at the hole at the top fo the shock towers). Softtop motor drains as stated above, true. Third brake light on the trunk lid will crack ( different mounting springs was the fix ). That is what comes to mind at this point.
    ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    thanks guys

and how much it can cost ? Guy wants 15K firm - 25k miles, never drove in snow
    Depending on condition, and what your mechanic says, the price is in line with KBB I believe.

I have an '03 2.5 with 23k miles. The instrument cluster had some faults, but got replaced under warranty around 3500 miles - I seemed to pick up rain sensing when they replaced it. 3rd brake light cracked in winter - I've heard the springs are too tight. Otherwise, nothing else has gone wrong.

Difficult, but not impossible to find z4's with low miles. For many they are weekend/summer only cars.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    just bought BMW 2003 530i Sport ... thanks all

My Cars
    so you just bought a newer 5-series?
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    yap
    my wife convinces me that we need more stable roof
    got a great deal on BMW 2003 530i Sport/Premium/ColdWeather/Xenon with 76K miles - simple can't refuse it
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-15-2009 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Jeez - sorry to hear that. Maybe you can pick a pair of balls from that South African she/male runner that's been in the news lately... ;-)
    2005 2.5i Roadster - Sterling gray w/black interior and black top. Premium package, steptronic, leather, xenon, bluetooth, BMW Assist, BMW OEM alarm, BMW Sirius radio, Roadster Solutions windscreen, aux-in, sound generator, LeatherZ console and armrests, first-aid boxes, and Goodyear Eagle GTs.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    yap
    my wife convinces me that we needs more stable roof
    got a great deal on BMW 2003 530i Sport/Premium/ColdWeather/Xenon with 76K miles - simple can't refuse it
    and you're keeping the '01 5-series too? what's the mileage on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
    Jeez - sorry to hear that. Maybe you can pick a pair of balls from that South African she/male runner that's been in the news lately... ;-)
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    2001 525i has 90K miles and now 2003 530i Sport - 76k miles
    All maintenance myself