Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AM Radio Reception Fix (1998 528i - also applicable to other BMW models)!

My Cars
    1998 528i Sport

Tried trick almost worked

I tried the "expand center pin" trick and the radio was working great...until I plugged the MID into it's slot.

The reception is acceptable with only the radio installed, but as soon as the MID chassis touches any metal in the console it reverts back to the poor reception.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by elmachin View Post
    I tried the "expand center pin" trick and the radio was working great...until I plugged the MID into it's slot.

The reception is acceptable with only the radio installed, but as soon as the MID chassis touches any metal in the console it reverts back to the poor reception.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Why don't you try the "soldering trick" as mentioned previously?

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    my car is 2003 E39 530i
    After some mods done on this car
    ( rear sunshades , OEM ipod connector , rear M5 sub-woofers/speakers )
    I lost FM connection but i dont really remember after which mod

I was chasing this issue for days
    Ended up on CD player AM antenna cable was loose !
    Thanks CNN for this thread
    LOL

Last edited by champaign777; 04-15-2012 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    E30 M3
    I am interested in trying this procedure on my 2003 525i Touring. Anyone happen to know where the modules are located in a wagon? RealOEM only shows a sedan.

My Cars
    E39, X-Runner, S13.5
    I do not understand why ONLY the AM or FM radio is out if the cable is loose/not connected all the way. Since both signals are fed by this cable, shouldn't both FM and AM be lost if the connection is not solid?

I am currently chasing my FM radio woes.

My Cars
    E39, X-Runner, S13.5
    I'm just wondering if anyone here's FM/AM cable's star shaped center pin has 4 pieces instead of 3 (Mercades logo) like the pics show?

Anyhow, i spread the star shaped center pin and ensured there was a tighter fit however FM radio is still in and out, with the AM being consistent just as before.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    see if turning your rear windshield defroster on and see if that affects the reception
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    I have AM, but it's weak. I can get 880 and 1010, which is just all news all the day...660 and 770 are extremely spotty, the stations I truly want and this drives me NUTS.

For long car drives, AM can be nice at times.
    I have a similar issue with my AM, but I can get 1010 just fine, but 880 and 660 have a loud squeal when listening. It does that squeal with the car running and on acc, and has been like that since I bought the car a few months ago. Do you feel I may have to do the same DIY technique as you did??
    I'm missing out on my Yankee games while on my way to work!!!

My Cars
    Navionics

Smile Radio reception extremely weak

Quote Originally Posted by siny528i View Post
    This is excellent write-up!
    Exactly what I need since after installation of ipod adapter my reception got worse and my wife bugging me for it almost every day. Thanks!

I just tried it. It was no AM at all, now it is.
    It is definitely problem with the cable.
    I think I will need a new cable since mine is very bad.
    Dont want to replace it, but just fix it instead.
    Hal here:
    I finally located my problem as a open/broken center wire in the antenna coaxial radio. Wire is extremely small solid conductor. The method of connection in the plug behind the radio leaves something to be desired. I was not able to attache the center wire to the plug center pin without some damage to the plug shell. Tried soldering but the fragile wire kept breaking. But with persistence I found a way to attach the wire to the center pin. Then I used metalize duct tape to hold the plug to the adapter plug for the Kenwood radio. The amplifier under the rear fender seemed not to do much good and the antenna mount to the amp was broken. I cut off the coax plug and soldered a small wire with round terminal to to the center coax wire and another to the shield securing with heat shrink so as not to stress the small wire. A small stud and a couple nuts secured the center wire terminal to the antenna and the other wired connected to the original ground point on the fender. I receive more radio stations now than I know what to do with them. Purchased this car 4 months ago with bad Blaupunk radio volume function and poor reception.

Hal

My Cars
    530i

AM reception

I have a 2003 530i that came with factory navigation panel, standard audio system. The AM reception was poor and I could get a few stations. I installed an aftermarket radio up front. The OE radio is located in the trunk when in this car so the aftermarket radio has a harness that runs from trunk to the dash. That harness comes with antenna cable since it has to extend from trunk. I get very faint signal on one station now.
    I have tested the new radio with the loop antenna and I get flawless reception with it. I instpected the diversity amps in c-pillar, applying Doxit to connectors and windshield element, no difference. With the radio on, I disconnected the AM diversity amp on the right side, made no difference.
    Yesterday, I got 2 AM diversity amps from junk yard, tried each of them and no improvement.

Is it possible to connect the home AM loop antenna wire to the antenna connector? The wire is small and seems like it can be just wedged into the connector.

Thank you for reading,
    Tim

My Cars
    530i
    It turns out a faulty antenna amplifier that was installed before doing the Doxit procedure was the issue. Removed the antenna amp and Fakra adaptor, AM and FM work crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourpsalm View Post
    I have a 2003 530i that came with factory navigation panel, standard audio system. The AM reception was poor and I could get a few stations. I installed an aftermarket radio up front. The OE radio is located in the trunk when in this car so the aftermarket radio has a harness that runs from trunk to the dash. That harness comes with antenna cable since it has to extend from trunk. I get very faint signal on one station now.
    I have tested the new radio with the loop antenna and I get flawless reception with it. I instpected the diversity amps in c-pillar, applying Doxit to connectors and windshield element, no difference. With the radio on, I disconnected the AM diversity amp on the right side, made no difference.
    Yesterday, I got 2 AM diversity amps from junk yard, tried each of them and no improvement.

Is it possible to connect the home AM loop antenna wire to the antenna connector? The wire is small and seems like it can be just wedged into the connector.

Thank you for reading,
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12