Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Klasse AIO vs clay

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3

Klasse AIO vs clay

I'm planning to get my car ready for winter, which means Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. From what I have read, you can apply it by hand and it is very durable.

My question is how do I prepare the paint for the Klasse SG? Obviously wash the car first, then I figured either clay or Klasse AIO, then apply the SG.

Is Klasse AIO a viable substitute for cleaning the surface with a clay bar? can I just use the clay (which I already have) and then apply the SG? Would it be better to just use the AIO? Do I absolutely need to use both?

I know the ideal procedure is to wash, clay, buy a porter cable and use something like Menzerna IP, then a fine polish, then a wax/sealant; but the full detail is not going to happen. Besides the time and money constraints, I feel like that is pissing into the wind given what my car is used for (ungaraged daily driver in the northeast). I just want to get the paint sealed and prevent things from getting any worse.

My Cars
    M
    Wash, dry, clay, AIO, SG, wax(?).

AIO is not a substitute for claybarring.

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    Can I skip AIO and just do wash, dry, clay, SG?

My Cars
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1979 View Post
    Sure.

My Cars
    E46 M3, MKV GTI
    I wouldn't. AIO is super easy to apply by hand anyway, a coat shouldn't take too long to apply.

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
    I wouldn't. AIO is super easy to apply by hand anyway, a coat shouldn't take too long to apply.
    What does AIO add to the process when applying by hand? I know clay gets the contaminants out of the paint. I thought AIO was a paint cleaner/mild polish - the paint surface should already be clean from the clay and from what I have read it is impossible to polish by hand. With that in mind, what benefits would AIO bring to the table if I have already clayed?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    What does AIO add to the process when applying by hand? I know clay gets the contaminants out of the paint. I thought AIO was a paint cleaner/mild polish - the paint surface should already be clean from the clay and from what I have read it is impossible to polish by hand. With that in mind, what benefits would AIO bring to the table if I have already clayed?
    How about better protection than just SG, alone?
    They are made for each other.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    KAIO is a chemical cleaner and provides a much better and clean paint surface for the SG to adhere to. Clay is a mechanical debris remover. You'll want to at least remove any residual clay lubricant before applying the Sealant Glaze. Do you HAVE to use AIO prior to SG? No but it may extend the durability of the SG by cleaning the paint with AIO first. If I didn't use KAIO first I would at least do an IPA wipedown before the SG.
    Last edited by PuckMan; 09-05-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Star: "If you'd keep your eyes on the road instead of on me we might be getting somewhere"

Driver: "Let me see what I can do...sir (queue Blur, Song 2)...

My Cars
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckMan View Post
    KAIO is a chemical cleaner and provides a much better and clean paint surface for the SG to adhere to. Clay is a mechanical debris remover. You'll want to at least remove any residual clay lubricant before applying the Sealant Glaze. Do you HAVE to use AIO prior to SG? No but it may extend the durability of the SG by cleaning the paint with AIO first. If I didn't use KAIO first I would at least do an IPA wipedown before the SG.
    +1.
    You don't HAVE to use the AIO, but I think you'll see better results if you do.

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    Looks like AIO+SG it is. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    e36 ///M3 e46 330xi
    I have always used them together. Should you apply wax after??

My Cars
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by jladdm3 View Post
    I have always used them together. Should you apply wax after??
    It'll add a little bit more 'pop' to it, I think, but it's not necessary.