Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to lower an e39 touring with SLS for free

My Cars
    e39 bmw touring
    Quote Originally Posted by pa520 View Post
    why not use these... i did. You can adjust the height with 30mm

came with my kw gewindefahrwerk. I adjusted the original software to -40mm and with these adjusters made the car best suit the wheels

with these you can get the car higher or lower without bending the original part.

Nice job. Can u do a small readme on how to set the software to -30.

What plug do I use,(ebay)
    where do i plug it into the car
    what software do i use
    and what menu do i use to set the suspenion

our 5 is hanging to right 4cm down atm. Was similar before but now with new SLS right suspension bag its worse.

tnx in advance

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    Realize that when you put a bend on a rod, this stretches the material, making
    that rod softer and weaker. Thus, what's preventing that bent rod from breaking at the bend? I wouldn't re-install it like that...I'd get a segmented rod cut to length so that it fits between the collars, and weld it in across the hypotenuse leg of that open angle to create a truss.

My Cars
    02 986S, 00 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
    Realize that when you put a bend on a rod, this stretches the material, making
    that rod softer and weaker. Thus, what's preventing that bent rod from breaking at the bend?
    How about the fact that it bolts to a plastic peice that just measures the control arm angle, rather than a part thats under load. Hell if a string was rigid, you could probably use that.
    Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 09-28-2011 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    08 535xit
    there have been so many times that i wish i could push on a string to make it move.

G~

My Cars
    E39 540ia
    You can lower the suspension with INPA also, I did my X5 with it and there is an option for the e39. Super easy

My Cars
    F25 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Shilling View Post
    How about the fact that it bolts to a plastic peice that just measures the control arm angle, rather than a part thats under load. Hell if a string was rigid, you could probably use that.
    Just out of curiosity, could you hypothetically use any type of rigid shortened link to substitute for the OEM link in order to lower the SLS on a touring? The OP and Mighty Shilling are implying that the part is not under load. If that is the case, almost any rigid part that was shortened could effectively achieve the same result, right? Just wondering if you could use something else besides what is essentially an adjustable sway bar end link. Seems like overkill if the part is not under load. Experts, please weigh in.
    2014 X3 xDrive35i

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS

Dredging up another dead thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post
    Just out of curiosity, could you hypothetically use any type of rigid shortened link to substitute for the OEM link in order to lower the SLS on a touring? The OP and Mighty Shilling are implying that the part is not under load. If that is the case, almost any rigid part that was shortened could effectively achieve the same result, right? Just wondering if you could use something else besides what is essentially an adjustable sway bar end link. Seems like overkill if the part is not under load. Experts, please weigh in.
    In answer to your only question there, 'yes'. This link is under a load, but it's not much of a load. Look at the plastic lever arm that it moves. I'd bet that's the weakest part of the system. This link is as robust as it is because it hangs down in all the road grime and stuff and it has two ball joints on it; not because it gets a lot of stress.

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Krieger View Post
    In answer to your only question there, 'yes'. This link is under a load, but it's not much of a load. Look at the plastic lever arm that it moves. I'd bet that's the weakest part of the system. This link is as robust as it is because it hangs down in all the road grime and stuff and it has two ball joints on it; not because it gets a lot of stress.
    Why would you go and bend it when you can just lower it with INPA? With it you can lower and see if you like it, if not just adjust it back to previous height..

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

My Cars
    94 bmw 740il, 98 lincoln navigator, 85 mazda rx7
    Great thinking!

My Cars
    E61 3.5d
    Where can find those adjustable self leveling sensors bars for E39 Touring ?

Have have seen that couple guys already have them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stills; 02-17-2013 at 09:14 PM.

A major help !

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Travislg198 View Post
    A major help !
    Agree!

I got these puppies...

Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    2002 M5 & 1991 850i 6spd
    I was considering doing this to my 2002 540it, then I noticed that the link was made of plastic, no bending. I just bought some links.

My Cars
    E34 540i/6 E36 M3 E46 M3
    Where can one purchase these adjustable links?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Plug in your scanner click a few buttons, select your ride height change. click done. unplug scanner.

/.randy

My Cars
    98 M3, '99 540iT, '93 FD
    Before I get into my experiences, a typical warning: I will tell you how you can make your own links and provide some insight to my experiences with them, but following any of my advice is purely at your own risk! I am not a trained mechanic/technician.

I lowered my touring as much I could using INPA. It would only allow me to get to just about tire tucking height. I then attempted to shorten my link using the method described in this DIY. One of my links snapped (long before I got anywhere near the angle this DIY shows). I ordered 4 of these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1187/=mtq7b9 (m6 righthand) and 2 of these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3149/=mtq7c2 (m6 x 25mm). This allowed me to shorten the length of the linkage to 61mm (from 71mm stock). 61mm is the shortest this combo will net you unless you modify the ball joint (shorten an end). Shipped price for this + some washers/nuts at the local hardware store ran me about $45. Having done this I will say there are risks...

61mm length is too short for the suspension unloaded, this causes the sensor arms to bend unloaded, which could result in breakage. In addition to this, in my case, the sensor arms will now turn inwards by default (rather than upwards). This causes the controller to think the car is FAR too high and will drop it to the bump stops. If, like me, your fenders were not rolled and you are running wide tires... you are going to have a bad time. Resolution for this fix (in my case) is getting under the car when there is some load on the tires and push the linkage in the right direction (pretty obvious what needs to be done when you are under there). I will be lengthening mine to 66mm or so.

After all this messing around, I have to say, just lower it with GT1/impa/whatever and call it a day unless you are determined to be as slammed as a touring will get (kudos to the bump stops we can't get all that low).

1996 Boston M3-RIP
    1998 Fern M3-daily

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Does anyone know the bus messages sent to change the ride height?

I would like to build a control that immediately changes the ride height. The stock height is too low to clear my garage entrance without scraping, and even some speed bumps. Other BMWs with SLS have such a switch.

Once I know the messages, I'm pretty sure I can build the hardware and write the firmware. I've done quite a bit already with CAN and a little with IBus.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    strange nobody answered were to buy the adjustable links, mine are plastic too

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528I Touring
    Sorry to drag a (very helpful) thread up from the dead, but I'm currently in the process of lowering my wagon as much as I can and here is some advice that may or may not help others.

This is effectively as low as you can go in my experience/opinion with just shortened/bent links;

http://i.imgur.com/8P77NEX.jpg

The links are currently 55mm from bolt centre>centre, and when the wheel is off the ground this puts MAJOR stress on the plastic sensor arm (its twisting a bit). Realistically you should probably stick with around 65mm; as the poster above mentions this is the point where the plastic arm starts to suffer stress on jacking the vehicle.

I'm now dealing with a lack of OBD port (Jap import) before I can try another 30-40mm drop with INPA (will chop the bumpstops) and see how it goes. I can hear you BMW lovers cringing now haha but these cars are barely worth $2000 USD here so its just something for me to have fun with.

On another note for those that care, those rims are 10" wide with ET25, tyre size 245/30/R20 and no rubbing at all yet even without rolled guards.

My Cars
    BMW E39 Touring 525D
    Hi all. Sorry to re-live this thread. Trying to lower my e39 but dont fancy bending the oem links. Can someone please help and tell me where to get the adjustable bar links as ive seen them in this thread. Im in the UK but can order stuff from the US.
    Cheers everyone.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    The only ones I've seen were not adjustable, besides the homemade rigs. Maybe someone could post the parts list for the hardware store?
    1999 540iT: aFe Intake | M60 Intake | DUDMD Tune | Bavauto Springs | Bavsound Stage 1

2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelgarage View Post
    Agree!

I got these puppies...

I bought something similar to these on ebay with rubber boots on ball joints. Then I bought Stainless threaded rod and cut it.
    I had $ 20 bucks into it tops. Will look for the ebay post.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I purchased these off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-10-32-ball...item1c560d9138

Some stainless washers. four nuts to lock the threaded rod. One piece of threaded stainless rod that I cut to fit.
    Measured length off the old rusted ones. Maybe $22. total. I like that the ball joints have rubber covers to keep most the water and dirt out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Rib View Post
    Correct. Link bolts to a plastic arm on a sensor. Heck you could use a metal coat hanger.

My Cars
    1994 540i
    where can I purchase inpa for my e39 I have the lowering links on but want to go a little lower. thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast