Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to lower an e39 touring with SLS for free

My Cars
    99 540it

How to lower an e39 touring with SLS for free

If you want the ability to frequently change the height of the SLS (Self Leveling Suspension) on your e39 touring, then please buy a set of aftermarket adjustable lowering links. If you are cheap like me and would rather stick with OEM parts as much as possible, then you can try modifying the stock links to lower your car. The stock link is extremely strong for what it is, and already has sealed ball joints. Since it doesn’t see any stress or load, there should be no concern with bending it to shorten the length.

Tools needed:
    • 10mm open ended wrench
    • 10mm socket with ratchet (or another 10mm wrench)
    • Two combination/box ended wrenches between ¾”and 13/16” size

1. Jack up the rear of your car and remove rear wheels (Please see the DIY or FAQ section for the proper way to securely lift your car).

2. Using the 10mm wrench and 10mm socket/wrench, remove the stock link that connects the control arm to the SLS sensor. You should place the wrench on the back side of the bolt to keep from applying too much stress on the plastic sensor bar and to prevent it from spinning.

3. Once you have removed the link, then measure and verify that it is the stock length of 3 ½”. To get approximately a 1.5” drop on a sport suspension, I found that I needed to shorten the link to 2 7/8”. I forgot to take pictures of the stock link, but you can assume it was straight rather than bent. I did not go shorter than 2 7/8”, so please do so at your own risk.

4. Bending the link is up to you. You can certainly heat it or put it in a vise, but I chose the simple route with a set of wrenches (between 3/4” and 13/16” work the best). You can figure out the technique from the picture below. Make certain you bend the link so that the bolts stay parallel to each other. You should also take care not to stress the bolt too much, since you may damage the threads or the ball and socket. Rather than stressing one bend in the metal, I moved the wrenches several times to gradually bend in multiple locations. I wouldn’t expect it to break, but you can always buy an aftermarket link if it does.

5. Reinstall the link just as it was removed. Make sure the sensor bar is not pointed straight down before lowering the car back down, otherwise it might break when the control arm rises (not likely, but you never know). With the car back on the ground, you may want to drive the car around the block to make sure everything is settled. Measure the drop and readjust if necessary.

Since this method still uses the OEM link, there should be no side effects or issues. You should go ahead and replace the rear shocks at the same time, since the factory shocks will probably not last long.

Here are a few pics of the drop I got with the 2 7/8” length on Bilstein sport shocks with B&G front springs:

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Get ready for "purists" to give you $hit 4 it lol

I say rock on, well done!
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    99 540it
    You are probably right! At least it is still the stock part......just shorter! As hard as it was to bend the thing, I seriously doubt it could ever break while driving. I also have the piece of mind knowing it will never loosen up or change length.

My Cars
    93 G20
    i love your garage! and touring!

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    Sheet I love your Cobra!!

I see her over there in the corner......

My Cars
    Too much crap
    Holy crap your car is sweet.
    Good job on the 0$ mod.
    Free stuff is always awesome
    Originally posted by pup "yeah. stick to pedophilia, racism, misogyny, homosexuality, the disabled and the poor"
    Originally posted by
    Aindriu "It is made to be a crusing machine. Top down, cruise control on at Autobahn speeds, bit of classy music and an attractive woman in the passenger seat with the IQ of a peanut."

My Cars
    e30 325es 325is
    Thats brilliant..

What springs you use for the front to match the rear?
    ((( in stereo ))) E39-Sold, E36-Sold, 2x E30 -current

My Cars
    99 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by jchung9825 View Post
    What springs you use for the front to match the rear?
    I used B&G springs for the front. So far I could not be happier with the ride, but I think the Bilsteins might be keeping the front from dropping more than it did.

My Cars
    1999 540iT
    Do you have any more shots of how low your front is with those B&G springs? I'm thinking about those on my 99 540it. Thanks.

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Looks Damn nice! Are those E60 rims on your car?

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    99 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by xpcgamer View Post
    Are those E60 rims on your car?
    Of course, hard to pass on a Craigslist special! Hopefully I can put some nicer wheels on it some day, but for now these will do.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    Quick fix ... good way to save some coin.

You should go ahead and replace the rear shocks at the same time, since the factory shocks will probably not last long.
    I replaced front and rear OEM Sachs / Boge Sports ... (front with Koni Sports and rear with OEM sports) ... new rears were nearly as stiff as old ones I took out ... with 160,xxx miles on them. OEM fronts typically last 50-75K max and prolly need to be replaced 2X or 3X (if stock) versus the rears.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Did you bore out the centers? I have a set from an 07 530i. Was gonna slap them on while I refinish my RK's but I thought I had to bore them out?

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    op - you're just trying out the look, right? but you WILL replace those with carbon fiber lowering links, right???

-- nicely done. goes to show that while many folks fear these cars for their complexity, all it takes is a reasonable noggin and a little fearlessness.

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    I am really thinking of modding my factory ones and getting rid of the adjustable one I have.

My Cars
    99 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardEm View Post
    Do you have any more shots of how low your front is with those B&G springs? I'm thinking about those on my 99 540it. Thanks.
    I will take better pics this weekend and post them up.

Quote Originally Posted by jase007 View Post
    I replaced front and rear OEM Sachs / Boge Sports ... (front with Koni Sports and rear with OEM sports) ... new rears were nearly as stiff as old ones I took out ... with 160,xxx miles on them. OEM fronts typically last 50-75K max and prolly need to be replaced 2X or 3X (if stock) versus the rears.
    I thought my rear OEM sport shocks would have been been fine with only 80k on them. After pulling them out, I realized that I could move the piston in and out with only two fingers. Since I was going to be lowering the rear, I knew they wouldn't last long no matter what. The Bilstein sport replacements are less than $100 a piece, and they made a dramatic difference in the composure of the ride. Well worth the money.

Did you bore out the centers? I have a set from an 07 530i. Was gonna slap them on while I refinish my RK's but I thought I had to bore them out?
    I will be honest, the previous owner bought them off Craigslist right before I purchased the car. I thought e60's had a smaller hub than the e39 as well, but these wheels fit fine with no issues. I can check to see if they have been machined to fit, but I am sure someone with more knowledge about wheel fitment could tell you what works or not.

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    Great info!

thanks for posting.

BTW: what suspension are you using for the front?

My Cars
    09 328it (wife's)
    audio18,

while i know i'll never attempt what you did, thumbs up to a great job! besides that, your touring looks awesome! some of these new wheels are hit and miss - yours go well. more pics would be welcomed!

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    I am really thinking of modding my factory ones and getting rid of the adjustable one I have.
    Where can I purchase the adjustable ones?

To the OP, great job on this mod!! Can u poin me to where I can get the front slings for the touring? TIA!

Chris

My Cars
    Too much crap
    Quote Originally Posted by cbouchez View Post
    Great info!

thanks for posting.

BTW: what suspension are you using for the front?
    Your car is making an angry face at me
    Originally posted by pup "yeah. stick to pedophilia, racism, misogyny, homosexuality, the disabled and the poor"
    Originally posted by
    Aindriu "It is made to be a crusing machine. Top down, cruise control on at Autobahn speeds, bit of classy music and an attractive woman in the passenger seat with the IQ of a peanut."

My Cars
    any time, any place
    we carry the B&G lowering springs at EAC Tuning.

see here: http://www.eactuning.com/bg-s2-sport...bmw-p-423.html

My Cars
    2006 e91 320D
    why not use these... i did. You can adjust the height with 30mm

came with my kw gewindefahrwerk. I adjusted the original software to -40mm and with these adjusters made the car best suit the wheels

with these you can get the car higher or lower without bending the original part.
    Last edited by pa520; 09-25-2009 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    99 LSB WB E39T S/C'd
    To the OP, I commend your ingenuity!

Quote Originally Posted by pa520 View Post
    why not use these... i did. You can adjust the height with 30mm

came with my kw gewindefahrwerk. I adjusted the original software to -40mm and with these adjusters made the car best suit the wheels

with these you can get the car higher or lower without bending the original part.
    Ive always wondered how my amber celis tails would look on a black touring...sir, thank you. thank you for proving to me that its soooooo damn sexy!!!!

authorized distributors of:: carbon 8 :: mycarr
    authorized seller of :: linea corse :: miro design :: dp engineering

please don't hesitate to contact me for your BMW needs!
    AIM : eur0dyne || Yahoo : euro_dyne || MSN : eur0dyne
    Email : sales@euro-dyne.com || Phone : (714) 901-5080

My Cars
    528itouring
    If one were to buy adjustable links and not alter the oem links, where would one look?

haha I've been searching man. Any hot leads will be appreciated.

My Cars
    88' M3, 91' M5
    very interested in doing this as well.... anybody have any info on where to get rear adjustable mounts? cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast