Thread: Riddle Me This: Gas Door Won't Lock

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4

Riddle Me This: Gas Door Won't Lock

My car is a 1998 M3/4 (9/97 build) and I've owned it since May 2000. The problem I'm having is a minor one and it's been "broken" for a long time. I've just finally decided to do something about it.

The little pin that locks the fuel filler door won't extend and lock the door. I did some troubleshooting the other day and this is what I know so far:

If I extend the plunger on the actuator by hand, it will retract when unlocking the doors.

It doesn't matter if I use the remote control, key in the door, or button on the console - the plunger will not extend to lock the gas door.

I extracted and disassembled the actuator and it's remarkably simple; just a plastic box with a motor and worm gear inside. I applied 12V directly to the motor and it runs in both directions just fine.

I connected a voltage tester to the connector for the actuator and there is voltage when unlocking, but not when locking (probably should've done this first before cracking open the actuator but I was certain the actuator was the problem).

Looking at the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual, it appears that the gas door actuator is on the same circuit as the door lock and trunk lock actuators and doesn't have any separate fuses or relays. And everything else works fine.

So, why would there not be any voltage going to that particular actuator on a lock command, but there is for unlock?

1998 ///M3/4/5 | 1999 528iT | 2003 Z4 3.0i

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    I have the exact same issue, would like to know the answer to it!

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4
    That makes two of us!

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    +1

My Cars
    GMT400 Z71
    Good job on the PMCS. My fuel door lock could have been broken for the entire time that I owned my M3 and I never would have noticed it. Good luck fixing it.

My Cars
    a white one
    Bad actuator? Did you check to see if the input voltage to the actuator was present and correct during both unlocking and locking? If the signal is right, the only thing that can be wrong is the actuator.

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4
    Bad actuator? Did you check to see if the input voltage to the actuator was present and correct during both unlocking and locking? If the signal is right, the only thing that can be wrong is the actuator.
    I did check for voltage at the actuator. There is none when locking. But there is voltage for unlocking. The actuator works. I applied voltage directly to it in both directions. It will lock and unlock when I hotwire it.

Hence my confusion. Why would there only be voltage in one direction when every other actuator works and they are all on the same circuit? Unless they're not on the same circuit.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Same issue as well. Been like that as long as I've owned my 2nd M3.

My Cars
    1996 M3, 2000 I30
    I had the same problem when i got my car....i put a strong magnet on the inside of the door and its held up great, no problems the last 4+ years
    09 135i
    Stock

96 M3 (Sold)
    Stage 2 AA C-38 S/C, M50 Manifold, Dinan BBTB, TMS Headers, AA Track Pipe, UUC System U
    Bilstien shocks, H&R springs, TMS Limiter kit, UUC Evo SS, Southbend stage 2, JB Racing FW

My Cars
    1995 M3 Avus Blue
    gots the same problem. Subscribed

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    just replace the actuator.

My Cars
    BMW E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by hc1001 View Post
    just replace the actuator.
    there ya go... check fuses in the rear as well i cant recall which one it is but those blow typically when the actuator goes bad.

01 BMW ///M5 DINAN

My Cars
    01 740iL, 87 560SL

same here

Hi Guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have the same problem. Replaced the actuator, still no luck. And on top of it, the alarm won't engage anymore either. I get the turn signals to indicated locking but no alarm function, no engage chirp.
    Anything else I could do/check?
    Thanks,
    Adil

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Pull the actual alarm brain. (usually tucked up behind the glove box) Check all fuses and connections.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    97 M3
    Funny, I didn't even know my car HAD a locking gas cap till I pulled the carpet out of the way inside the trunk. Mine's not working either. Not even sure how to activate it. I did manipulate it manually and the pin doesn't stick out which leads me to believe someone snapped the pin off.

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Sorry to necro this thread, but did anyone ever figure out this issue? I see +12V but not -12V on my gas cap actuator connector (2000 Z3). Actuator can be moved in both directions by a 9v battery.