Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: How to install DIS w/ EasyDIS v44 step-by-step

My Cars
    E36 M52B20
    Quote Originally Posted by jfclk33 View Post
    It is a 2001 X5. I'll try shorting those pins together on my cable and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
    Did it work? From what I understand, only later cars communicate only on a single K line (pin 7 in the adapter). Many people installed a switch between pin 7 and pin 8 so that they can use the cable in multiple vehicles.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i convert
    Has any one successfully installed easy dis with VMware v9 it. Has a few more steps than v6. When I start the VM I get a warning saying that long mode was deactivated, then boot up fails any ideas? Or anyone have a source to VMware v6 that works all the ones I have found are empty or gone.

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    I'm trying to install GT1/DIS on an HP Notebook with Intel Atom processor, running Window XP.
    Using Demontool Lite to mount image of "Easy-DIS Base v44" and using VMware V6.5
    It gets to the point where you can see the box that say "DIS v.44 Base Install CD version 0.3. This easy installation was made possible by bmwecu.org"
    Then this message:
    "MakePartitions: Cannot create partition number 1.
    !!! Harddisk partitioning failed!!!

installation aborted !!!
    check CD and DVD-Drive!!!"

Please advise me on how to proceed.
    Thanks in advance.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    E60 2004 - M54 - Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by tmvE39E53Z32TT View Post
    I'm trying to install GT1/DIS on an HP Notebook with Intel Atom processor, running Window XP.
    Using Demontool Lite to mount image of "Easy-DIS Base v44" and using VMware V6.5
    It gets to the point where you can see the box that say "DIS v.44 Base Install CD version 0.3. This easy installation was made possible by bmwecu.org"
    Then this message:
    "MakePartitions: Cannot create partition number 1.
    !!! Harddisk partitioning failed!!!

installation aborted !!!
    check CD and DVD-Drive!!!"

Please advise me on how to proceed.
    Thanks in advance.
    I was stuck on the same step and then figured, you are making mistake on the step - "Enter size of disk as 18.635, and allocate all disk space now"

My Cars
    BMW 850, Opel, Seat

Smile Successful installation of DIS on a DELL 630 PC with an ADS interface.

I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and in the "read this first.pdf" file to the letter.

Connected to my April 1991 BMW 850 and could connect to the EML and other modules. Somewhat slow but works fine!!!

My Cars
    USMC M1A1 Abrams
    Question: Is GT1 (Group Tester One) and DIS (Diagnostic and Information System) both part of the same package and installed together? Or are they completely separate software products and installations?

I've found several sources for the software as well instructions, such as Easy GT with GT1_v44_programs.iso and Easy DIS with EasyDIS_base_v44.nrg. The instructions that came with the Easy GT files all refer to "DIS," but I haven't came across any different/separate instructions specifically for GT1.
    Last edited by Augster; 09-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Generally GT1 refers to DIS installed on an original Touchscreen, using a genuine BMW/Siemens yellow DK head.

My Cars
    USMC M1A1 Abrams
    Good stuff. But are they one and the same installer, which differentiates itself depending on the target install environment? That is, should I specifically look for "DIS" in the install images/sources and avoid "GT1" images/sources, or does it matter?

My Cars
    USMC M1A1 Abrams
    Also, will DIS/GT1 v44 install under any version of VMWare, to include version 9, or if not, what is the last VMWare version that it is compatible with?

I read somewhere that DIS may have issues under v9.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    i use 6.5

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I am not sure if there may be functionality issues with some of the later versions of vmware, I use v6.0.4 and have read of versions as old as v5 are okay. Don't lose too much sleep over the GT1/DIS thing - the function is identical. Since setup requires installation of a base program, to avoid confusion the actual program files could be designated as GT1 v** or DIS v**. Installation is the same.

My Cars
    USMC M1A1 Abrams
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Don't lose too much sleep over the GT1/DIS thing - the function is identical. Since setup requires installation of a base program, to avoid confusion the actual program files could be designated as GT1 v** or DIS v**. Installation is the same.
    So you are saying it doesn't matter if I get an ISO that says "GT1" or "DIS" it's still the same installer and will automatically install the "right" version for the interface environment being installed on (e.g. touchscreen versus mouse-and-keyboard PC)?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    EasyDIS configures a base environment for installation of the program on a mouse and keyboard system. If you intend to use a different base program you will need to configure each individual parameter according to the system you are using. When it comes to .iso software, what it does depends on what the image has been created from. If you outline what your goal is (e.g install v44 or v57 on a conventional windows-based computer or a native installation on a dedicated laptop) , I can give you more specific information on how to get there.

My Cars
    USMC M1A1 Abrams
    I want a diagnostic setup for my '08 335i on a WinXP laptop that I've dedicated to coding and troubleshooting. I already have a working INPA 5.0.2/EDIABAS 6.4.7 and TIS 12/2007 installations. So now I want to get DJS installed. I actually now have a GT1 v44 Programs image, and an Easy DIS base v44 plus DIS v57 images.

I was also reading a thread regarding purchasing an INSTA/P VM off of eBay. I'm trying to find out more information about this as it seems to be the newer BMW diagnostic system.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    All you need is DIS v57 to run diagnostics for your car. If you want to code and program as well, you will need PROGMAN SSS or NCS/WINKFP. Just install Vmware (preferably an early version like v6.0 or v6.5) and once installed you can load your DIS v57 programs. If you want more info, flick me an email.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    this is probably been tried before and mentioned somewhere in the 32 pages of this thread, but I am trying to use Oracle Virtualbox (latest 4.x release) to create a VM for EasyDIS install and when specifying the size of the fixed disk using the GUI it is only possible to specify a value in GB to 2 decimal places, so therefore it isn't possible to specify 18.635GB

However, using a command line tool (VboxManage.exe) it is possible to create a new fixed (or dynamic) disk and specify the size in MB, possibly even bytes.

But, 18.635GB does not equate to an exact figure in MB (1024*18.635) nor bytes (1024*1024*18.635) so I would like to know what is the exact size of the fixed disk required in either MB or bytes please.

And I have tried a disk sized 18635MB but this did not work.

So if you have a working DIS VM with a 18.635GB fixed disk please let me know its size in MB and/or bytes.

cheers
    josh

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The correct size of the virtual disk is 18.635mb as per the installation instructions. Most machines see this as 18.6mb.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    oh right, I though I found some other mention of 18.635 GB earlier in this thread, but it was around 1AM when I was last trying things out.

18.635 MB = 19082.24 KB = 19540213.76 bytes

so 18.635 MB is not an exact figure

and 18.6 MB = 19503513.6 bytes so this is not quite right either

what does the SCO OS report the disk size to be in bytes exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer187 View Post
    This is your problem,

Set your disk size to 18.635 GB.
    so is it 18.635 GB or MB?

the screenshot in the original posting shows GB

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Correction - it is 18.635gb.

My Cars
    BMW 535D E61
    Hi all, I have been using INPA 6.4.3 for sometime now on my spare dedicated Asus XP SP3 laptop, Proc Celeron 1.5GHZ, 1.21GB RAM - This has been great for my 06 plate 535D E61, however I recently tried it on my missus newly acquired 06 plate Z4 and INPA is 'error'ing' and refusing to give me an error log or enter any of the modules. So I decided to install DIS. After reading all of this thread and many others, this is where I am at.

I have installed VMware 6.5.3, Daemon tools lite, Easydis-base-44-v1.0 and GT1_v44-programs and am using an OBD chinese cable (USB), much the same as my Vagcom cable (also USB) (I didn't want to modify this as it is an original). I presume my Chinese cables wiring inside would have 7+8 bridged as it has been working with my version of INPA on the E61.

I have followed Randomy's instructions to the letter, and David's 'Read this first' document, everything has been changed and confirmed as changed (everything went exactly as Randomy said, same messages and completion messages through the installation). Prior to using the 'Read This First' doc, I was getting the Fault code 200.159 when plugged into the car, also DIS would not allow me to enter the 'Connection setup' section in the 'Administration' menu. This prompted me to Google further and since making the Scoadmin etc changes I can now enter 'Connection Setup' (though it still won't find my diaghead upon pressing 'Diagnostic head update'), my diaghead is not recognised at all when accessing basic diagnostic mode on the main screen. The only thing I have noticed is that my ediabas.ini file was not named as such, instead it was called only 'ediabas', I have since changed this to ediabas.ini and am yet to check INPA/DIS functionality as a result.

PS. Vmware has the correct settings for the HD element, but shows as only taking up 3.5GB of the 18.635GB allocated - my HD however only has 17.7GB free total so I will be cloning this HD onto another larger version asap. Would this have affected the install? I have installed it twice using Randomy's exact instructions and gotten the same result on both occasions.

PPS. Do I have to go into the 'Administration' 'Diagnostic Head' Menu and input the IP info in there manually?

PPPS. The small signal screen at the top of DIS shows a full signal and API test is successful

Can anyone help please
    Last edited by 1Animal1; 09-17-2013 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Animal1 View Post
    The only thing I have noticed is that my ediabas.ini file was not named as such, instead it was called only 'ediabas', I have since changed this to ediabas.ini and am yet to check INPA/DIS functionality as a result.

PS. Vmware has the correct settings for the HD element, but shows as only taking up 3.5GB of the 18.635GB allocated - my HD however only has 17.7GB free total so I will be cloning this HD onto another larger version asap. Would this have affected the install? I have installed it twice using Randomy's exact instructions and gotten the same result on both occasions.

Can anyone help please
    I can only offer advice in regards to these 2 things as I am in the process of setting up DIS myself (using ADS interface and INPA to my E38), first of all you must have INPA/EDIABAS working, so check that within WinXP you have not renamed ediabas.ini to ediabas.ini.ini because the option to hide extensions to known file types was left selected (as per default). You can check using the command prompt, or by disabling the option in explorer.

As for the VM disk, Randomy's instruction is to create a disk and allocate all storage to it immediately, however it appears you have created a dynamically expanding disk, either because you missed selecting the option to create the disk fixed in size, or VMWare did this due to lack of available disk space.
    I am not sure if this will really affect the end result, but because Randomy said to do it, possibly it will... but if you got GT1 to install then maybe not?

Also, I managed to download a VMWare Workstation v7 but this fails to install on my WinXP SP3 (INPA) machine (single processor, 1GB RAM, COM1 serial port) but have managed to get DIS/GT1 installed on my Win7 machine, so I'm hoping via the magic of home wifi networking I can get the 2 things to communicate...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Correction - it is 18.635gb.
    BTW: after creating the VM disk using VMWare Workstation v7 on Win7 (64 bit) the resulting file size came to 19082 MB or 20,008,927,232 bytes

This equates to 18.634765625 GB

My Cars
    BMW 535D E61
    Thanks rogan.

I followed Randomy's post right down to the last detail. I allocated the 18.635GB of drive and then selected the option to allocate the full drive as opposed to partitions. Is there another way that i have gotten this wrong?

Update since I last posted! - I tried the system again after making a few changes and found that if I start INPA/Ediabas first, then DIS works! well, it works for diagnostics and only when the engine is started. When I select the coding/Programming option and go through to the automatic vehicle details detect, i get this everytime 'VIN and ZCS/FA cannot be read out from EWS/KMB/LSSZ control unit! Switch ignition off and on again!'

Would I be better wiping the Gt1 VMware option and starting again? The 3.5GB used space may only be half the program and not the coding side perhaps? The original files i used were GT1 ISO @ 948,992KB and DIS Base NRG @ 270,279KB - do these sound like the right files?

My Cars
    BMW 535D E61
    Thanks Rogan

I had allocated the full 18.635GB to the Vdrive and allocated it entirely from the drive set up menu (not in 2GB segments as the option allows).

I had got DIS working last night after getting past the API test, switching the engine on and having Ediabas running in the background. However it wouldn't allow me to code/program and kept coming up with the warning that asks you to turn the engine off and then on again.

Renaming the file 'Ediabas.ini' actually screwed my INPA up and subsequently my DIS so I renamed it back to 'Ediabas'.

Update: I made another VMdisc using the custom method (as for example the host screen was missing from the basic install options), that took a lot longer to set up at the end of the process (about 15 minutes) as it appears to have preallocated the drive space where as the standard set up didn't pre allocate. I've loaded the Base and GT1 files and the VMWARE current size is 18.8GB with 3.7GB free :/. I have done all the usual background settings and set it this time to 'Softer' turning VM off as the head wasn't showing with it 'on'. I can diagnose and run tests etc... I still can't run coding/Programming, the same error comes up, only this time it doesn't say 'turn engine off and then on' - just this message 'VIN and ZCS/FA cannot be read out from EWS/KMB/LSZ control unit'. The car I'm testing is a 04/2005 E61 535D
    Last edited by 1Animal1; 09-19-2013 at 06:36 AM.

My Cars
    1994 E38 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Animal1 View Post
    Thanks rogan.

I followed Randomy's post right down to the last detail. I allocated the 18.635GB of drive and then selected the option to allocate the full drive as opposed to partitions. Is there another way that i have gotten this wrong?

Update since I last posted! - I tried the system again after making a few changes and found that if I start INPA/Ediabas first, then DIS works! well, it works for diagnostics and only when the engine is started. When I select the coding/Programming option and go through to the automatic vehicle details detect, i get this everytime 'VIN and ZCS/FA cannot be read out from EWS/KMB/LSSZ control unit! Switch ignition off and on again!'

Would I be better wiping the Gt1 VMware option and starting again? The 3.5GB used space may only be half the program and not the coding side perhaps? The original files i used were GT1 ISO @ 948,992KB and DIS Base NRG @ 270,279KB - do these sound like the right files?
    the ISO files I have are reported by Windows to be sized :
    GT1_v44_programs.iso : 926 MB or 971,767,808 bytes or 948992 KB
    EasyDIS-base-44-v1.0.iso : 263 MB or 276,457,472 bytes or 269978 KB

so there is a slight difference in the base image but I am not sure if this is a real problem as it sounds like you got the SCO UNIX OS installed first OK

as for INPA, this must be working and setup correctly first and also running needs to be a process called IFHSrv32

If you haven't also read David Mc's PDF called "READ THIS FIRST" regarding INPA and DIS I suggest you do ASAP.
    it took a little searching of the Diagnostics forum but I managed to find it posted as an attachment in multiple places... if you can't find it let me know and I'll attach it here

I am still learning DIS/GT1 after only just last night managing to get it to communicate with my E38 so I can't yet advise much else sorry

good luck!

My Cars
    BMW 535D E61
    Thanks Rogan

I don't seem to have had any issues at all with the install apart from the ISO/space taken figures so I am presuming it has loaded properly. I'll have to get INPA working fully without any errors to check the next stage i think. INPA works, fault reads and allows me to access all info for my car with the odd warning which once I press 'OK', gives me the info I need. But nothing on the missus E85 Z4.

As per my original post, I've followed Dave's document entirely on every install I've done this far. IFHSrv32 is started prior to VMWARE as per Dave's instructions. I just need help with the coding aspect now, with the warning sign 'VIN and ZCS/FA cannot be read out from EWS/KMB/LSZ control unit'.

Edit - I've updated to INPA 5.02 which has brought it's own set of problems in the form of a failed API test on DIS. There are now 2 OBD.ini and Ediabas.ini files on my C drive, which takes precedence? I think both are needed as after renaming the older version, it stopped INPA working with initialization errors.

Some errors point towards me not having the files pointing towards COM1 - my USB ports go from COM5 upwards and so i have had to use COM5 - I can't see how I could use COM1??

Next step is to solder pins 7+8 as a fail safe, the cable i have has some black circuit board stuff all over it so you can't identify the chip or see if those pins are both connected on the board. If that doesn't work then I'll have to source another cable with the correct chipset, and test that.
    Last edited by 1Animal1; 09-23-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast