Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install DIS w/ EasyDIS v44 step-by-step

My Cars
    2005 645CI
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Hakes View Post
    yeppers, I also tried increasing the memory to 768 as dirtbuster suggested, no luck

also just noticed that currently occupied space on the hard drive is 33.8MB, is that an issue?
    My T30 That I just got only had 512mb of memory, I added another 512 & it help speed things up. In the virtual machine, it only wanted a total of 256 allocated. If you add more than it suggest, it really did not help. I learned alot getting everything loaded. I believe Daemon tools was my biggest problem. I had never used it before.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    I an tell you that if you set the RAM to 1024 like we had...it will take 8-10 minutes to load DIS. That was all the machines memory and did not leave any for Windows to run on. Currently machine is set to 512MB, leaving 512MB for Windows and boots DIS in about 2 minutes.

Thanks David Mc for clearing that up.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    1987 RX7 2+2
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    Yes that is an issue, it should be taking up 18.635 Gb of space.
    so obviously dis is not installing completely then. Question though, what would happen if I spec'd a larger hard drive, say 19GB as opposed to 18.635?

I have downloaded and combined the 3 dis base files twice now, so i do not think the problem lies there.
    could a faulty vmware be the culprit?

(i downloaded a vmware from vuze, not the one from the 5 series forum)
    Last edited by P2Hakes; 02-19-2010 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    It should be 18.635 Gb in size from VMware making a virtual machine file that size, this occurs before you install DIS. Start over creating your virtual machine, that step did not go right if your file is only 34 Mb.

My Cars
    92 325i, 95 318ic
    I have downloaded and combined the 3 dis base files twice now, so i do not think the problem lies there.
    could a faulty vmware be the culprit?
    Do you mean you are extracting each of the files separately? If so that is your problem as you only need to extract the first file alone the other 2 are to be left alone in the same folder.
    darkislight

My Cars
    E39,E53
    Hi

Do you have to use VMware, Or can a virtual XP machine be used under win7 ultimate??

regards.

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    I do not know Windows 7 at all but you do not need a virtual XP machine to run, you need a virtual Unix machine to install DIS onto.
    So if Windows 7 can create a virtual machine without an operating system I am sure you can give it a try and let us know. When you install DIS_base Unix is installed as operating system on the virtual machine.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    C

My Cars
    E39,E53
    Hi C

Looks like Win7 can generate a blank Virtual PC.
    Just trying it now.
    Mounted the CD and set boot from there.
    It loads the kernal & Ram image but screen then goes blank
    Think it's still working but taking it's time to install the OS.
    Going to leave it alone for a while as i notice from the above screenshots it mentions 12 mins..

Will persevere and feed back

Regards
    Last edited by Steamyrotter; 02-21-2010 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    325 I E46
    Hi guys
    i've read this and, its itching to do it myself
    but i have carsoft working
    in your opinion, is it worth the effort over carsoft?
    can we achieve significantly more with GT1 than carsoft?
    its scarry to me but if you guys say so
    ill must definetly do it

BTW besides carsoft i also have the Vag-com interface USB that i use on my woman's Audi
    thanks for your time
    Fern
    Last edited by Bimmermig; 02-21-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Ego sum Abbas cucaniensis
    et consiglium meum ist cum BIMMER PILOTS

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Fern, DIS/GT1 is worth the effort as it will not only give diagnostic info, but is able to expand the fault definitions into a repair guide. I have expanded on Randomy's excellent installation guide in an attempt to avoid some of the common pitfalls in getting comms between DIS and Windows - visit the EasyGT folder on the 4shared site and have a look at the "READ THIS FIRST" document in conjunction with Randomy's installation guide. With practise you will be able to reliably create a new DIS setup in just over 2 hours using the methods described.

My Cars
    Hi guys i,ve been trying to install DIS v44 on my thinkpad, with no joy. I,ve adjusted the bios.bootDelay="5000" but still cant enter bios on start up. I,ve read probably all the posts on here abour DIS v44 but still having problems??? Help??

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    my advise is not to over complicate things...
    I have found that if I chose the CD of Daemon tools in my VMWare I do not need to go in bios to chose cd every time. by nature the DIS_base is an install cd and if your virtual machine starts up it will see that and use the cd automatically, even if the initial install is complete and VMWare restart it will skip the cd, for my installation I never touched the Bios...

make sure your VMWare machine is installed to first boot up from the CD but I think it install default like that anyway, then mount DIS_base in daemon tools, make sure your VMWare is setup to use Daemon tools virtual cd drive and then start VMWare, it should boot up from the virtual CD no problem

My Cars
    Hi Katvis, yes my machine boots straight away, first part installs complete, then boots again and stops with a blank black screen and cursor at top left of screen. Do i wait? Or do i unmount easyDIS and mount GT1 program? Thanks

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    SEt boot order back to deafult, then proceed

My Cars
    I wish i could but i cannot access bios when i first run virtual machine, i have adjusted "other" config file in note pad to bios.bootDelay="5000" but nothing happens???

My Cars
    McMerc
    Can I use VMware Version 7 to install as I have access to it?

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    Quote Originally Posted by maaxxyy View Post
    I wish i could but i cannot access bios when i first run virtual machine, i have adjusted "other" config file in note pad to bios.bootDelay="5000" but nothing happens???
    max, remember to first hit the mouse button in the VM screen otherwise your keyboard input is still for the windows environment and not the VM machine.

so as soon as your VM starts press the mouse button with the cursor in the vm screen and then hit F2, have to be quick with the fingers though...

cheers
    c
    PS unless you start your VM in full screen mode of course
    Last edited by Katvis; 02-22-2010 at 10:31 AM.

My Cars
    McMerc
    If you hit "CTRL" + "ALT" + "ENTER" you can access full screen mode in VMWare.

Doesn't matter, I've just realised I have version 6.5 already on my laptop!
    Last edited by Sel The Don; 02-22-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    I finlly got into bios, how long does the easyDIS take to install?

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    easydis will do the initial install like shown on randomys pictures, vm will restart and then it will show 5 minutes and then 12 minutes, I found it took a bit longer.. before you get to the first DIS screen

My Cars
    finally got to the country/language page, after i input the country and dealer number it will not let me quit???? it asks for valid 5-6 digit dealer code, country and address

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    select a valid country, enter 12345 for dealer number, if all else fails enter exactly what you see in my screenshot

My Cars
    Done it and its installing, thanks guys for your help
    How long does the install normally take??

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    dont hold your breath, two plus hours for DIS installation and then the real fun start to get everything setup and working...

My Cars
    I got it fully working last night, i even connected to the interface with all reception, battery and signal lights working. I,m having a conflict with my ip though, says my bluetooth ip is conflicting with the DIS ip??? Although i dont have any bluetooth devices connected?? I want to ask you guys how do you shut DIS down in the virtual machine? Do you end then quit? Or do you end dis then shut off the wmware? As i,ve had to reinstall it a few times as i keep getting a blank screen when i launch DIS.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast