Page 1 of 40 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install DIS w/ EasyDIS v44 step-by-step

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi

How to install DIS w/ EasyDIS v44 step-by-step

I spent pretty much the entire workday and evening at home yesterday learning what GT1\DIS is, obtaining it, and then figuring out how to install it. It was no easy feat, as I have no access to bmwecu.org, where most of the information seems to be hidden (according to the few bits and pieces of information I could obtain). So I've put the steps I found necessary to install EasyDIS v.44. Credit to bmwecu.org who apparently developed this easy install.

• Software Required:
      • Easy DIS v.44 BASE iso
      • Easy DIS v.44 Program iso
      • VMware v.6
      • Daemon Tools

• NOTE: Follow every direction exactly. When I say to use Daemon Tools, use Daemon Tools. I had some complications when I burned the ISO’s to CD, and could not activate the Programs disc. I cannot help you with the instructions or install of GT1, this article is the help I have provided. -Randomy

• Install VMWare Workstation version 6 using default parameters during setup

• Open VMWare and create a new Virtual Machine:

• Select Typical

• Select Other – Other

• Name the VM

• Select Host Only networking

• Enter size of disk as 18.635, and allocate all disk space now

• Click Finish and have a smoke while it create the Virtual Disk

• The Virtual Machine is created

• We need to make some changes. First Remove the Sound Adpater

• Adjust Ethernet adapter to use VMnet1

• Add 2 additional Ethernet adapters and also assign them VMnet1

• Switch to the options tab, and uncheck drag and drop from Guest Isolation

• Mount “EasyDIS-base-44-v1.0” in Daemon Tools

• Edit the CD drive of your Virtual Machine to use the Daemon Tools drive (F: in this case)

• Start the virtual machine and quickly press F2 to enter the BIOS for it

• Set the CD-Rom to be the first boot device

• Save and exit the BIOS.
    • The computer will reboot.
    • The installation of GT1 begins.

• The installation ends and you are notifed to eject the CD, and restart the VM, but do not do that yet!!:

• Eject the iso from Daemon Tools

• Mount the file “GT1_v44_programs” in Daemon Tools

• Now Shut-Off the Virtual Machine, and Restart it
    • Return to the BIOS by pressing F2 and set the boot order back to default

• Save and Exit, and the VM will boot up

• The following screen will appear, select your language and Vehicle, press the green arrow to continue

• Select your Country, and Enter 12345 for Dealer Number. The rest of the info you can make-up
    • Once you have entered the required information, click End > Quit

• DIS appears!!

• Click Administration and note that the CD drive shows DIS v44.00. If it doesn’t, you may need to try and mount the file “GT1_v44_programs” from Daemon Tools again

• Press Installation under DIS, and enter 12345 (dealer number) as password

• Now you wait for a long time

• The installation will complete, press OK

• Press End > Quit

• You can now use diagnostics and coding\programming for your BMW

Now if someone would like to provide me with an interface cable, I would be all set.
    Last edited by randomy; 02-16-2010 at 10:26 AM.

My Cars
    530d E60 09/2003
    Thanks to your guidance
    and the work done by Bmwecu.org, now the installation is actually very easy and fast.
    One thing I am not sure .... but now that the Gt1 work and the Yellowhead is simulated in software, what kind of interface is needed to connect everything to the car? Or just a normal cable obd?

I have a wiring diagram of interfaces, based on integrated ELM327 or MAX232 or AT89C2051. If some expert wants to give us a look ..... I and electronics, we had a fight
    Last edited by Infernet; 09-03-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I have ordered a INP (vagcom) cable and am going to attempt to get it to work, it seems undertain if it will. An ADS interface however, is almost certain to work.

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    So i'm a little lost...you obtained the software...somehow and now your trying to find a working interface cable to go along w/ the software?

Is this just a program you can install on a laptop? Anyway of getting a carsoft obd2 cable to work?

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    You are not lost, that is exactly the circumstance.
    I have a carsoft OBDII cable, doesn't seem to work.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Carsoft interfaces will not work with INPA but the cables will work with an ADS interface. You need an INPA or modified VAGCOM KKL interface for INPA.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Actually, I did get the carsoft interface cable to work through the diagnostic port under the hood with INPA 6.4.3. It in fact allowed me to read more modules than I was able to with the USB vagcom cable on the OBDII port.

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    Hmm, this is interesting me! I hope someone comes in with an update soon...i would love to have GT1...carsoft isn't really doing much for me these days...especially since I can't reset my damn ASC light!

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    While I have been able to use the Carsoft cable with INPA and it seems fully featured (I've been able to read live data, turn devices on in the car with it, monitor systems, etc..) I have not yet got it to work with DIS. It's trying; when I have the cable connected and am running ifhsrv, It says that the power on pin 15 is not present or less than 9 volts and cannot auto-detect my car.

My Cars
    97 328i-e46 323i
    I can"t get the damn thing to work i keep getting stuck at the calibration screen and when i do the ctrl+alt+f1
    it only lets me type in the login and not the password
    help
    what am i doing wrong

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    are you typing in root as the login?

My Cars
    97 328i-e46 323i
    yea it just lets me type in the login and then it goes to the pw and nothing
    when it prompts for the pw I press every key on the keyboard and not a single char will appear on the screen

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    thats the way that the password prompt works, it's not a problem. IT just hides the characters you enter.

My Cars
    bmw x5
    Great post, thanks!

Couple of questions:
    1. What OS are you using, UNIX, LINUX, Windows (version also)?
    2. The EasyDIS v.44 software is quite hard to find, can you point to the right direction where to find this "secret" stuff?

Thanks!

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    laptop is Windows XP. See further reading here

My Cars
    Wasp & Duc
    I'm not sure what to say, man... If all this works, you're my hero!!!

ZetaTre
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    2006 Ducati 999S
    2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    Oh wow, that link is nuts, gonna try and get crackin on installing this on my laptop.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    damn guys, I'm suprised I havnt seen this before. I got the v39 bundle image but following the installation guide it looked like a nightmare. I also didnt have a laptop at the time which recently changed, so now I feel ready to give this a try but I am still skeptical about getting it to work as there isint much posted on what cables do work.

-Would be good to know if this version/setup works with serial and/or usb cables.
    -For vehicles running OBD2 ports, any specific obd2 cable to look for? (for as much modules to work, and auto detect of the vehicle to work?)

I think those would be pretty basic as a lot of us have already moved to obd2 setups, anything extra would be if someone can share some links to images and/or details about the particular cable you have in mind.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I am using a USB\serial adpater and carsoft cables.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    I am using a USB\serial adpater and carsoft cables.
    thanks for the prompt update randomy, you've been pretty helpful to everybody thus far.

About the carsoft cables I am assumming is a serial cable in which you used a serial-to-usb adapter to connect your cable with the adapter to a usb port on your laptop? Even so, from your earlier post you mentioned you were not able to get carsoft cables to work successfully with gt1/dis? Has anything changed? If so have you also managed to get the program to auto-detect your vehicle or is there a work around to this problem where it's not needed to auto detect?

And also is the adapter truly needed, if a laptop has a serial port would it be more convenient to just use that instead of using the serial carsoft cable with the serial-to-usb adapter? Or is there a trick involving using the usb adapter somehow to get communication to work?
    Last edited by parad0x; 02-01-2010 at 03:17 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 Turbo
    This was great info. Got the install of the software done and working. Now the only thing is I can't get my GT1 diag head to communicate with the software. I can ping it but I can't get a free diagnostic head to come up to use for connection. If anyone knows what my problem is please chime in.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Yes, I have gotten my carsoft cables to work with DIS - No, autodetect does not work.

I ordered my Carsoft cables from a seller on Ebay, that cost me about $30 plus shipping from China, but searching today doesn't show many results, and those that are returned are for carsoft 8.3 and cost several hundred dollars. I know you can buy them from carsoftwest for $69. I also am using a Belkin USB\RS232 adapter to connect it to my laptop that has no serial port.

Quote Originally Posted by 02PRUV View Post
    This was great info. Got the install of the software done and working. Now the only thing is I can't get my GT1 diag head to communicate with the software. I can ping it but I can't get a free diagnostic head to come up to use for connection. If anyone knows what my problem is please chime in.
    Diag head is total mystery to me, sorry. Carsoft inteface is all I've explored. I'd love to borrow a diag head, and I'm sure I could figure out how to get it to work.
    Last edited by randomy; 02-02-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    9/98 D740iS
    Got this message when trying to download GT_v44.rar:

Direct link is not valid. Downloading stopped. Message: HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily

My Cars
    1987 RX7 2+2
    From that 5 series forum you linked, GT-1 v.44 comes in 3 parts.
    My quetion is which parts did you use for “EasyDIS-base-44-v1.0” and “GT1_v44_programs”?
    Also, I assume you had to convert them from .rar to .iso compression, correct?

Thanks in advance
    -Pat

My Cars
    92 325i, 95 318ic
    All 3 parts of "EasyDIS-base-44-v1.0" and all 11 parts of "GT1_v44_programs"
    Start with "EasyDIS-base-44-v1.0" decompress and load with DaemonTools into Vmware
    Once "EasyDIS-base-44-v1.0" is running decompress "GT1_v44_programs" load into Daemontools and load into DIS.
    darkislight

Page 1 of 40 123456789101126 ... LastLast