Thread: Removing Brake Backing Plates

My Cars
    e46 m3, S4, A6, A3,

Removing Brake Backing Plates

Has anyone removed the back splash plates behind the brake rotors? I have been told that the parking brake is attached to this part so that its removal eliminates the parking brake. True? Should this be the case it seems to me that simply cutting the plate away accomplishes the removal of what amounts to a heat retainer while keeping the parking brake.

Thoughts?
    MAB

My Cars
    '05 Mitsubishi Evo, '05 Lotus Elise
    I think it is there to keep rain and other undesirable substances off the rotors. If you don't drive your car in the rain, you should be fine.

- John

Re: Removing Brake Backing Plates

Originally posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
    Has anyone removed the back splash plates behind the brake rotors? I have been told that the parking brake is attached to this part so that its removal eliminates the parking brake. True? Should this be the case it seems to me that simply cutting the plate away accomplishes the removal of what amounts to a heat retainer while keeping the parking brake.

Thoughts?
    Yes you cut it with a large pair of tins snips.. Cut just to the parking brake pads... slightly lower if you can. Just try not to tweak what is left because it it holds the parking brake mechanisms.

Remember though to put a new one on requires pulling the hub.
    Last edited by ChuckD; 09-08-2003 at 11:08 PM.