16 16.33%
  • BMW M3

82 83.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DINAN 335i vs BMW M3

My Cars
    BMWs

DINAN 335i vs BMW M3

A base M3 is $57k, a base 335i Coupe is $42k plus DINAN S2 package goodies brings the price to $53k (plus 31.8 hours labor to install -- 31.8 x $75/hr = $2385)
    Which would you choose ... and why?
    Borderline Insane

It's only a matter of time before the crazy people take over...

My Cars
    2010 335i
    M > non-M .
    (read the . as "period")

:Engage Flame Suit:
    10 E92 335i | LeMans Blue | 6MT | Black Leather | Glacier Silver Trim | ZMP | ZSP | Black Kidneys | HardWire RX65 | M Dead Pedal | OEM SS Pedals | PDC | 2nd HPFP...and counting

"See, now that's the kind of level-headed objectivity I was talking about, without any of the lunatic fanboi rahhh-rahhh of someone who misplaced his Depakote..." Natch

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i xDrive
    The power and handling of the M cannot be matched by any other bimmers in the same category.

My Cars
    2011Lotus Evora S
    Love to see test and track numbers here! Very interesting comparo. I suspect HP levels would be close, but the turbos may kill the M with their torque! Handling almost certainly favors the M. Weight should favor the 335i which IMHO is the biggest weakness of the new M3. Needs to lose 200+lbs!! basically by returning it to size of E36 M3.
    Being a fan of modded turbos like my former STi, I'd have to vote for the 335i and I'd really like a 4 seasons 335ix Dinan Stage 2
    Last edited by ddsski; 08-25-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    2004 Graduate Skip Barber 3 day Race School Competition Certified
    2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red, Ivory
    2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT True Red
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d Vermillion Red, Cinnamon Leather, Bamboo trim, Freight train
    2011 Lotus EvoraS Persian Blue, Black Suedetex Leather
    2008 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint grey, Grey Leather

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    Love to see test and track numbers here! Very interesting comparo. I suspect HP levels would be close, but the turbos may kill the M with their torque! Handling almost certainly favors the M. Weight should favor the 335i which IMHO is the biggest weakness of the new M3. Needs to lose 200+lbs!! basically by returning it to size of E36 M3.
    Being a fan of modded turbos like my former STi, I'd have to vote for the 335i and I'd really like a 4 seasons 335ix Dinan Stage 2
    There is a youtube video in the thread in this forum http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5&postcount=52

My Cars
    2011Lotus Evora S
    Guess I'm old school. Youtube annoys me just like that twitter shit.
    2004 Graduate Skip Barber 3 day Race School Competition Certified
    2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red, Ivory
    2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT True Red
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d Vermillion Red, Cinnamon Leather, Bamboo trim, Freight train
    2011 Lotus EvoraS Persian Blue, Black Suedetex Leather
    2008 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint grey, Grey Leather

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    Guess I'm old school. Youtube annoys me just like that twitter shit.
    Then I guess you will have to wait till they release it on the VHS

My Cars
    Avus M3
    There is a video on this. They boosted the psi on the turbos of the 335 to have more torque than the M3 and nearly matched the peak horsepower. Although it got close the M3 was still faster on the track.

The M3's are designed to be uncompromising with speed which makes it a better platform if you want a fast car. The 335i was designed to be a sporty luxury car and makes compromises in the suspension and such to make sure the ride isn't too harsh.

Personally I'd take the M3. I don't see a point in buying a 3 series if you are going to want to turn it into an M3. A fully modded out 335i could probably be faster than an M3 stock but I don't see it worth it when I can have a car that is really fast stock. Most mods I end up hating in the long run because it is just a pain to deal with. A modded car will need more attention than a factory stock one.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The video had the prices wrong...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    if you had actual prices I would pick the 335i

but with your listed prices I would pick the M3 because at that slight difference the performance + lsd is worth the extra price

I would buy neither though, they are both too big, I test drove both and the 135i and bought the 135i
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    Bmw 335 coupe, M-Tech Ti project, Porsche 986
    Dinan products are overpriced and under performing. Unless keeping your warranty intact is your main objective, I’d go for other aftermarket tuners.

Bang for buck the 335 can be made to outperform the m3. There are 335 guys running low 12's in the 1/4 mile with only a few engine mods, and with a proper suspension setup and some stickier tires im sure you could give an M a run for the money in the twistys as well. This can all be done for less than the base price difference of the 335 Vs M3 if you shop around.

If money was no object, I’d take the M3 though…You get a great car right out of the box with no need for warranty killing modifications.

Performance by CG Motorsports

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by 96bmw318ti View Post
    Dinan products are overpriced and under performing. Unless keeping your warranty intact is your main objective,
    DINAN products remove your BMW warranty just like any other aftermarket modification.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    325xi,325is,528i,325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    DINAN products remove your BMW warranty just like any other aftermarket modification.
    no suspension parts do not
    edit: unless they can prove that your product is what messed up anything on your car
    Last edited by frostlane; 08-25-2009 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    mt 325ia
    I'm pretty sure dinan offers a fully comparable warranty now that BMW broke of he ties.
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

My Cars
    BMWS
    M3, coming from someone with a 335i in the garage.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlane View Post
    no suspension parts do not
    edit: unless they can prove that your product is what messed up anything on your car
    Any part you remove from BMW and replace with a DINAN equivalent (or any aftermarket tuner equivalent) will remove the BMW warranty on that part and any part affected by that part (is what I meant to say I didn't think I had to spell that out)..

DINAN does have their own warranty on parts, but you have to seek the warranty repair through them, not through BMW.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3
    Well, I'd pick the M3. If I was a utilitarian, my argument would be that resale value would undoubtedly give the M3 the advantage, as it would appeal to a broader spectrum of buyers (Dinan's would only be recognizable to a select few), and has the prestige of being an M-car....
    But, the BMW enthusiast would stick to the motto of "Ultimate Driving Machine" which isn't pure science. The Dinan had the numbers, but it isnt about the numbers independanty, its about the sum of its parts. The M3 manages to evoke a spirit of confidence, and razors edge percision that can not be matched by the D335i, it is finely honed to feel like an extension of the senses, whereas the 335, and non-M BMWs are developed to feel like a tool for the senses. It's a sense, an intrinsic feeling that M cars give that is unparalleled.
    So the M3 would win, though it really isn't due to rational thought. But nothing really good ever is.
    Last edited by jbernard1234; 08-25-2009 at 05:13 PM.

My Cars
    e36 325i
    M3. V8 > turbo 6.

My Cars
    BMWs
    A 335i S2 instead of the M3 will save on your insurance costs. With prices that close putting up with the headaches of finding someplace to do the work plus fighting with BMW and or DINAN when something breaks will suck. 406ft-lbs of torque would make daily driving fun though.
    Borderline Insane

It's only a matter of time before the crazy people take over...

My Cars
    Bmw 335 coupe, M-Tech Ti project, Porsche 986
    Any part you remove from BMW and replace with a DINAN equivalent (or any aftermarket tuner equivalent) will remove the BMW warranty on that part and any part affected by that part (is what I meant to say I didn't think I had to spell that out)..

DINAN does have their own warranty on parts, but you have to seek the warranty repair through them, not through BMW.
    Correct. I guess I should have been more clear. I was told exactly this from my dealer: Dinan will match the original Bmw warranty on any parts swapped, and Dinan certified Bmw service centers will take care of any warranty issues having to do with malfunctioning or defective Dinan parts as long as they were installed by the Dinan certified Bmw dealership.....So theoretically, you should be pretty safe going through Dinan, as long as you follow their warranty rules.
    Last edited by 96bmw318ti; 08-25-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Performance by CG Motorsports

My Cars
    06 525i
    I would choose the M3.

My Cars
    Autums Wispers
    heritage comes into question havent driven either car, to date
    based of looks would pick dinan.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    just how much more are e9x m3 insurance rates over the 335i?

I know my e36 m3 insurance rates were crazy high, that's one of the reasons I sold the car
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    none
    my choice would be an (active autowerke's supercharged) M3.

My Cars
    99' M3, 10' FX2
    M3>335
    Yes in a straight line you could make a 335 faster cheaper then a M3 but then you would go past the price of the m3 working on the suspension.
    And you would still not have a carbon fiber roof and M seats and so on...

Dumb poll
    99' M3
    ~Boosted~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast