Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car won't always start right away

My Cars
    '04 325Ci & '93 525i

Car won't always start right away

I am having an unusual problem with my car not wanting to fire up as soon as I hit the ignition. Sometimes she fires up with just a tap but other times I have to hold the key and keep the starter engaged for four or five seconds before the engine starts. I haven't been able to detect a discernible pattern. Sometimes she acts up when the engine's cold but she will also do it when the engine's warm.

Any ideas what this might be, a bad starter or maybe a spark plug issue perhaps?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    What's her name? J/k.

Could be a dirty fuel filter. Does it run fine when it running? Wouldn't be the spark plugs then. I don't think it's the starter unles you're getting the "click, click, click" sound....
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-25-2009 at 03:46 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    '04 325Ci & '93 525i
    I just call her, 'The Lady.' LOL. She runs fine after she starts and I never hear any clicking sounds. Like I said, just sometimes I have to hold the key 4 or 5 seconds before the engine finally comes alive. She's almost due for Inspection II so I'll probably find out more then.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Def. not starter if it engages and cranks over the car consistently; I'm leaning more towards fuel delivery or fuel filter or possibly maybe dirty injector(s).

My Cars
    Some
    Could also be a drop in fuel pressure. This could be caused by many things. The best way to test this is to hook a fuel pressure gauge and see if the pressure drops off after the engine is shut off. It should hold close to engine running pressure for a long time. If not, there is a leak of some kind, not necessarily external.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    i have the same issue, i just took my car in for an AC recharge at a bmw indie shop and they told me it was probably the key's battery going out.

My Cars
    Golf R & S10 ZR2
    Agreed. The battery in the key is dying, most likely.

My Cars
    Some
    A failing key battery will not cause a longer than normal crank time before start up.

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP
    I would have to guess the fuel delivery system.

Member #2 of the unofficial Bf.c OT ĢI hate peopleģ club

My Cars
    Golf R & S10 ZR2
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdave37 View Post
    A failing key battery will not cause a longer than normal crank time before start up.
    It didn't sound to me like that was the issue. It sounded like OP was turning his key and hearing nothing and then seconds later having the car start like normal. THAT sounds like the key. I'd agree that an unusual long crank doesn't sound like the key battery.

My Cars
    Some
    Yeah I re-read the op, now I'm confused.

Please clarify op, long crank before start, or longer than normal key in start position before anything at all happens?

My Cars
    2000 323i
    What i got from the OP was he turns the key but it doesnt crank, its just doesnt start. And then after you hold it for a little bit or a few trys, it starts up no problem. that's exactly the same problem i have. and was told that if the battery in the key is failing the car doesnt reconize the key and wont start the car. and mine is completly random as well, it wont do it for weeks and then it will do it everytime i start the car for a week.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
    Def. not starter if it engages and cranks over the car consistently; I'm leaning more towards fuel delivery or fuel filter or possibly maybe dirty injector(s).
    +1

I think he is saying that it cranks over....but takes about 5 seconds to start....NOT that it does absolutely nothing.

OP.....please clarify.....Thanks
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-26-2009 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    '04 325Ci & '93 525i
    No, what's happening is that the starter is trying to start the engine (I can hear it making that sound) but sometimes it just takes several seconds of holding the key at the start position of the ignition switch before it actually fires up. It's not the key battery because I had to get a brand new key from BMW two weeks ago when I started having remote problems with the original key.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about engines so I'm just hypothesizing when I say the starter.

My Cars
    Some
    Does the amount of time with the engine off make a difference in how long the engine cranks before starting? I.E. does it take longer to start after sitting overnight vs if you just ran into a store for 5 mins?

My Cars
    2 e30, e28, e34, e46
    I had the same symptoms.

I picked up a CPO 04 330i in March that I knew this was happening to. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes not. Sometimes cold, sometimes hot. I gladly took it to the dealer. It also had a hesitation at 2.5k to 3k rpms under load.

They replaced the fuel pump and DISA, both which they found defective. Neither problem was fixed.

Took it back and they reprogrammed the DME with an update, changed out the spark plugs that I told them were new, and ... something else. They comped the service because I raised hell after they did the work, namely the plugs that I told them were good, without telling me what was not CPO. I swear they did a third item, but the paperwork is non-informative since they ate it. If there is a third item, it was not a major cost like spark plugs they charge $36 each. I would try to investigate the DME.

However, maybe this will prevent you from replacing the fuel pump if you dont need it. The 330i has run like a champ ever since.

- I forgot to add. Dealer had the car when it had about 84k on it. It has 93k now.
    Last edited by i_am_ed; 08-26-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: mileage

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by 04BMW325C View Post
    No, what's happening is that the starter is trying to start the engine (I can hear it making that sound) but sometimes it just takes several seconds of holding the key at the start position of the ignition switch before it actually fires up. It's not the key battery because I had to get a brand new key from BMW two weeks ago when I started having remote problems with the original key.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about engines so I'm just hypothesizing when I say the starter.
    Sorry dude....what is "that sound"?

My Cars
    '04 325Ci & '93 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    The typical sound you hear briefly right before the engine starts and you release the key. I don't know how to contextualize it in written form. In other words, imagine you turn the key all the way to the igniton point but instead of igniting, you have to hold the key down for three or four seconds longer than normal. Isn't that sound made by the starter? Think of any horror movie where the girl is trying to get away from the slasher killer by jumping in a car but the car won't start and it makes that sound as she frantically turns the key.

Normally, you turn the key all the way and it turns on. But sometimes, whether the engine is hot or cold, when I turn it to that ignition point it doesn't turn on immediately. If I hold the key down for a few seconds it will start but if I just release it then when I try to start it a second time it automatically roars to life with just a tap. Make sense?

When I say this sound, check out this video and listen to the sound this guy's car makes at 0:25 as he's cranking it. That sound is the sound one typically hears as the starter motor engages, correct? In the video his car starts right away but sometimes mine does not and I have to hold the key in the start position for a few seconds until it cranks. If I choose not to hold the key in the start position but rather just try to start it a second time it will always start right away.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy7RMlgqngQ[/ame]
    Last edited by 04BMW325C; 08-27-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7
    Cam position sensor? Just throwing that out there. I don't think that'd be so intermittent though...

matte black grills | 35% tint | lip spoiler | vanos replaced | transmission software upgrade | sharpie mod | dr. colorchip | di-noc trim
    control arms & bushings replaced | pdc diy | clown nose, blink & chirp activated | red tails | pink whale mod | chrome/leather shift knob | everything hardwired

My Cars
    2 e30, e28, e34, e46
    I remembered the third thing the dealer did: the tech blew out the plastic intake manifold.

It might be worth checking the DME update, I am positive that did it for me, and would be good to have regardless.

My Cars
    2001 Accord V6, 2002 Ody
    it's probably the fuel pump assembly. I bought the wrong assembly for my 01 accord v6 (mistakenly bought one for a acura tl or something) but the electric motor was the same, I swapped it and my car started normal again.

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    i assume its the sound of the engine turning over without firing.

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Time to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what its reading while attempting to start.

EDIT: just realised this post was raised from the dead...
    Last edited by legoman67; 08-06-2016 at 12:53 AM.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    05 Honda accord

So I have a question please

Quote Originally Posted by eksine View Post
    it's probably the fuel pump assembly. I bought the wrong assembly for my 01 accord v6 (mistakenly bought one for a acura tl or something) but the electric motor was the same, I swapped it and my car started normal again.
    So the fuel pump assembly can make it to where all the above happens because I just replaced all of my stuff including the starter ignition battery Etc and my car is doing the same thing now just started yesterday

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Downloading the error codes would be the first place to look.

I suspect that there will be inlet cam position sensor errors as it matches the problem with starting. The sensors soft fail for some time before they develop a hard/permanent fault.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A diagnostic scan for BMW codes is always more helpful than guessing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast