Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Euro expansion tank easy simple DIY. no $150 kit required :)

My Cars
    1995 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Dang it
    A lot of the brackets are still on fcpeuro

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by la36bmw View Post
    A lot of the brackets are still on fcpeuro
    Yes except for 41112491298. I was able to find it on ebay. Should be here in a few weeks. I'm just wondering how difficult it will be to move the battery cable as mine is a 1995 m3

Anyone have pics of the brackets mounted before the tank was installed?

I plan on getting this done over the winter.
    Last edited by GG///M3; 11-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    I was able to extend my cables and just put the junction box on the fender like other models. I used metal cable connectors from Home Depot that screw onto the cables and then heat shrunk them. It was not working to try and solder those big cables. Or there's a good custom auto electrical supply company named CE Auto Electric that makes custom upgraded battery cables and everything electric for your car and you could just do a whole new battery cable and wiring if you really want to beef it up as well.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by EstorilB View Post
    I was able to extend my cables and just put the junction box on the fender like other models. I used metal cable connectors from Home Depot that screw onto the cables and then heat shrunk them. It was not working to try and solder those big cables. Or there's a good custom auto electrical supply company named CE Auto Electric that makes custom upgraded battery cables and everything electric for your car and you could just do a whole new battery cable and wiring if you really want to beef it up as well.

Got pics?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Got pics?
    Yeah ill get some soon. Omw to the brodeo rn.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Yeah ill get some soon. Omw to the brodeo rn.

Heres the best pic I could get rn. The wiring I can try a little better later.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Sweet. What did you use to move the battery wires?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Sweet. What did you use to move the battery wires?
    I extended them with those connecters then used big heat shrink over them. Basically a big butt connector. They have them at home depot. Ill see if I can find some to get some pics.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I extended them with those connecters then used big heat shrink over them. Basically a big butt connector. They have them at home depot. Ill see if I can find some to get some pics.

Which way did you route the 3/4 inch hose to the bottom of the tank?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Around the rear of the engine to the metal coolant pipe. I used a hose coupler to extend it some if I remember right.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Around the rear of the engine to the metal coolant pipe. I used a hose coupler to extend it some if I remember right.

Ahhh the metal pipe. I’m going to be using a hose, and was thinking about routing it up and around firewall.

My car is a 95 m3.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Well mine goes along the firewall the back of the engine. I think thats inevitable as the tank connection comes out right there at the motor and firewall.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Heres the best pic I could get rn. The wiring I can try a little better later.

Question where does that clear line run to off of the top of the tank?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Its just an overflow. Its just to atmosphere.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is less than a foot difference running it around the front or back to/from the stock hard pipe. I did it both ways before changing to the Euro hard pipe that runs around the back. The euro hard pipe does not fit well around the back since it’s made for a different block.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    There is less than a foot difference running it around the front or back to/from the stock hard pipe. I did it both ways before changing to the Euro hard pipe that runs around the back. The euro hard pipe does not fit well around the back since it’s made for a different block.
    So running it from where it connected to the stock expansion connected to the euro location?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Yes, I did that for a while. The outlet on the stock hard pipe is a bit towards the front of the engine so if you make a gentle turn to go around the back, it’s not much shorter than going around the front. Still, it is shorter and I preferred going around the back of the motor. I did all this about 12 years ago so you might want to double check with a tape measure. I have been using the Euro hard pipe for 10 years now
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 12-25-2018 at 05:28 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    Ok, I did mine this past weekend. My take on this was a little different and a lot easier than I expected. For M50/S50, M52/S52:

Parts list:
    17111712641 BMW expansion tank (re-use existing cap)
    61312250421 low coolant sensor/switch
    61311361249 coolant sensor/switch o-ring
    41112491298 front metal bracket for expansion tank/diagnosis plug [Euro part, expect delay]
    17111719190 Plastic clip to attach bracket to expansion tank
    41122256492 Rear metal bracket [Euro part, expect delay]
    5 ft of 3/4” heater hose
    6 ft of 5/16” fuel hose
    (1) 3/4" male/male connector w/ (2) hose clamps
    (1)3/4” elbow w/ (2) hose clamps
    6’ thin wire to relocate coolant switch/sensor

To relocate battery terminal:
    12421432906 Euro Battery terminal bracket (mounts to inside fender) [Euro part, expect delay]
    Napa 711891 (1 gauge 19” battery cable with terminal ends. You may be able to use a significantly shorter one, I didn't do this to find out.)
    18” 10 gauge wire, (2) terminal ends
    Directions for terminal relocation are here:
    http://www.racepad.com/proj/racepad_...or_project.htm
    (I got lazy with the terminal. I unbolted it and shoved it downward below the expansion tank. I never used it and I don't intend to.)

Euro parts you don’t want: (Don't let people talk you into these mistakes.)
    There is a Euro hard plastic 5/16” cooling tube is molded to meet the top of the passenger side of the radiator. It needs to reach the driver’s side. Using a straight run of 5/16” fuel line is much better than adding multiple connection points.
    You cannot use the Euro lower metal hose on a US engine without investing a lot of time and effort modifying the angles of the pipes with a torch. Many people have destroyed them trying. The Euro engines have different cooling line locations. US cars already use rubber hoses- the metal line is needless overkill.

This red notes in this diagram explain the hidden connection point better. I thought the entire hose was being replaced based on Wangan's directions.

(Pic showing elbow from cutpoint in existing hose to new 3/4" hose.)

I removed my airbox, mass airflow sensor and all the intake hoses up to the throttle body in order to access the existing hose under the intake manifold. I routed the 3/4" hose from the location of the Euro expansion tank behind the engine to the point of connection.
    I kept and reused the existing end of the hose which had been connected to the bottom of the US expansion tank because the end which mounts to the bottle is flared and the 3/4" hose will not fit the expansion tank.
    The rest of the directions are already discussed in this thread.

The green line in the diagram shows the two lines to connect if you'd like to eliminate the coolant lines which are routed to add heat to the throttle body and airbox. It has nothing to do with this task and I'm not telling you to do it because I don't want to hear what people think of that idea.
    Would you happen to have pics of what you did with the battery terminal? Basically stuck on this last part.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    z3
    Why doesnt someone make a euro style hardpipe to adapt euro tanks to US blocks. I would for sure buy one...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have often thought someone could bend a pipe to fit. I never tried. I can say the Euro pipe does not fit very well.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I may end up installing it the way Max Psi did on my s54 swap.

― George Orwell

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I have often thought someone could bend a pipe to fit. I never tried. I can say the Euro pipe does not fit very well.
    Although I had already bought the metal pipe as part of the BimmerWorld kit, I also came to that conclusion based on what others had reported. After some initial skepticism I instead went with the crossover hose between the head and firewall, which turned out to be an excellent solution. This has been rock solid for several years now. Since mine's a '96 I didn't have to deal with the battery jump terminal relocation issue.

Neil

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Anyone looking for the two brackets (41112491298 and 41122256492) in the US? Decided to go with an OEM-location solution instead and have the two brackets left over. $45 shipped for both. PM me!

My Cars
    skateboard

Sort of got it placed, but not in the oem location.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    i have brand new brackets in my garage, as well as the NLA hard pipe that runs along the underside of the intake and around back of the block. i was hoping to one day have a shop re-produce these.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast