Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Euro expansion tank easy simple DIY. no $150 kit required :)

My Cars
    E36, E39, E32
    my heater core is bypassed.
    thanks perduinaM3

i filled the tank up started the car it got up to temp but it starts to overheat I dont see any leaks every thing looks good it only took about half a gallon of coolant anyone have any ideas?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    e36 & e39 were the pinnacle of BMW body design. The cars were lean and perfectly proportioned with just the right stance, overhangs, etc. They both look very aggressive without any of the superfluous styling gizmos of today's BMW's.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Do it on a slope and run heat. Should work since it bleeds itself.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    It sounds like a thermostat stuck closed or some other form of blockage. Slope isn't needed as the tank should be the highest point in the system.

During my first fill, I keep filling until it overflows, then with the cap still off I squeeze the hoses. If it doesn't overflow there is still air in there. I then run the car with the heat on to be sure that the core is filled as well. I then close the cap and run it until it has warmed up and the temp needle is in normal running position, indicating that the t'stat is open. I let it cool and check the level. If it is too high, I remove coolant to bring it down to the fill line. Too low, obviously add.

My Cars
    E36, E39, E32
    the radiator hoses do fill up with coolant so i wouldnt think it to be a stuck thermostat or am i wrong the radiator hoses do become very hot when the needle starts to go to the hot side

bump
    Last edited by 6banger17; 06-05-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    e36 & e39 were the pinnacle of BMW body design. The cars were lean and perfectly proportioned with just the right stance, overhangs, etc. They both look very aggressive without any of the superfluous styling gizmos of today's BMW's.

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    You could remove the T'stat to find out, but Double-check everything before.
    I've seen people get the hose routing wrong, especially the small hose.

The cooling system capacity is +/- two gallons depending on which radiator you are using. This is why I am suspecting blockage. I can check the heater core capacity if you'd like, I have a pulled one in my garage.

checked it, took about 1/8 gallon.
    Last edited by DaveAZ; 06-05-2012 at 10:17 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E39, E32

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    You could remove the T'stat to find out, but Double-check everything before.
    I've seen people get the hose routing wrong, especially the small hose.

The cooling system capacity is +/- two gallons depending on which radiator you are using. This is why I am suspecting blockage. I can check the heater core capacity if you'd like, I have a pulled one in my garage.

checked it, took about 1/8 gallon.
    thanks Dave but i found out my problem.
    the way i had routed the hose caused for the hose to have a high point in the system not letting the tank be the highest point in the system.
    Instead of routing to the back of the engine i routed it forward like a previous posted had said this seems that it would work better.

but now i have a separate problem.
    instead of relocating the jumper box i just bypassed it by connecting the wires together.

this is what i wrote in another post.
    please read i need help if this has happened to any one else.
    thanks.

I had to bypass the little jump box in the passenger side where you're "supposed to" jump start the car from. I did this to make room for the "European" overflow tank in doing in doing so I simply connected the wires red to red and black to black this worked perfectly for about 2 days when suddenly boom no electricity. So just to try it out we swapped things around connecting the black cable coming out of the firewall to the red cable going to the harness and the red cable from the firewall to the black cable going to the harness. and now theres electricity all lights work radio dash everything it just wont start. also my electric fan wont turn on but we tested the relay and it good so is the fuse.

My Cars
    E36, E39, E32
    ignore my previous post. All is resolved but now back to the overheating.

I routed it the way the user Herb did through the front filled the tank up and turn the car on and the level in the tank does not go down it simply just over heats. Before it gets up to temperature my top and bottom radiator hoses have no pressure at all they just feel empty once it is up to temperature my top radiator hose gets very hot and full. then it slowly creeps to the hot side.

Im beginning to think its something else in the cooling system.
    how would i go about testing the thermostat?

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    You can test your thermostat by placing it in a pot of boiling water

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 View Post
    Good install, but personally I would have chosen to use the Euro hard-lines as well.... eliminating long runs of rubber hose (potential failure points).

This.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    '11 E92 M3 & '95 E36 M3
    A couple questions on connectors, and hose routing.

I've been scouring the forum this and others, part vendors and hardware stores. I picked up an E30 expansion bottle, fabricated my own mount, got that squared away. I have a '95, so the expansion tank to block hose doesn't come off the top front of the head but the rear. The hose from the block to expansion tank is 3/4", the hose connector inlet on the e30 expansion bottle is 1".

So far the only hoses I've tried are 1" & 3/4", with a double ended 3/4" union connector (all that I can find locally). I cut a piece of 3/4 for one side of that connector and slipped on the 1" over it and plugged it into the bottle. That doesn't seem entirely stable. This use of a connector, is that really the only way to extend the length around from the bottom left front to the back corner? Are there 3/4" to 1" union pieces out there at other stores? Is the hose connection at the block side, 3/4"?

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Dinan Exhaust-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/APEX ARC8 10" Square
    1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Coilovers - SSR GT3s
    Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust

Bimmerpost ID: FR01

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 03-02-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by fr2000 View Post
    A couple questions on connectors, and hose routing.

I've been scouring the forum this and others, part vendors and hardware stores. I picked up an E30 expansion bottle, fabricated my own mount, got that squared away. I have a '95, so the expansion tank to block hose doesn't come off the top front of the head but the rear. The hose from the block to expansion tank is 3/4", the hose connector inlet on the e30 expansion bottle is 1".

So far the only hoses I've tried are 1" & 3/4", with a double ended 3/4" union connector (all that I can find locally). I cut a piece of 3/4 for one side of that connector and slipped on the 1" over it and plugged it into the bottle. That doesn't seem entirely stable. This use of a connector, is that really the only way to extend the length around from the bottom left front to the back corner? Are there 3/4" to 1" union pieces out there at other stores? Is the hose connection at the block side, 3/4"?
    I don't remember exact hose sizes, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I found in Autozone sections of hoses that were (don't know exact sizes, but for example), 3/4" enlarging to 7/8" and then another that was like 7/8" to 1" and then a plastic adapter to connect them. Just so happened that they had the perfect curves in them the way I cut them down, and it ended up working perfectly. Hope this helps somehow someway for you

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think the stock expansion tank hose for a 96-99 E36M3 is 3/4 in the body by 1 inch at the ends. You may be able to use a section from it. I have the Euro hard pipe and use a short section of the stock hose to connect the hardpipe to the Euro/E30 tank.

I don't know what hose is used on a 95, but if it is shorter, maybe the early hose would work if it is longer. All M3s have the outlet at the driver's side rear corner of the head, but at least on my 99M3, it goes to the heater control valve (which has several hoses going to it even though the heater circuit to the passenger cabin obviously has only an inlet and an outlet). I never thought about reconfiguring the stock water flow routing somehow so I could connect that port on the back of the head to the expansion tank.

My Cars
    97 m3,2005 s4,97 gsx
    Im in the process of getting all the components to do this mod but am wondering if there was anyway you could convert the water lines to stainless steel braided lines? Wouldn't it last a lot longer? I know you would have to modify the hard lines to connect them but wouldn't it have fewer issues down the road

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    My euro hose has been fine for the last couple years. I'm sure it'd be just fine.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipseguy View Post
    Im in the process of getting all the components to do this mod but am wondering if there was anyway you could convert the water lines to stainless steel braided lines? Wouldn't it last a lot longer? I know you would have to modify the hard lines to connect them but wouldn't it have fewer issues down the road
    I would bother doing this only if you were not running the Euro hardpipe. The stock hose, reversed to run behind the engine, comes up only about 6 inches short. BMW thought the long stock hose was fine. I am not sure another 6 inches matters. Beware that braided hose can saw through other stuff. It needs to be carefully routed.

With the Euro hardpipe, the only long hose is the vent line and the Euro kit uses a hard plastic line for most of that length. The hose from the hardpipe to the reservoir in the 12 inch range.

I have had no trouble with my stock installation Euro kit in 4 years.

My Cars
    97 m3,2005 s4,97 gsx
    What is the part number for just the euro pipe? A lot of these part numbers on these write ups are just clamps for piping.So its just one hardpipe that basically runs behind the motor?
    Last edited by eclipseguy; 10-17-2013 at 09:45 PM.

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I searched and didn't see a clear-cut answer to my question.

Does the US/OEM coolant level sensor on the bottom of the expansion tank fit the euro expansion tank, or do I need to by a different (euro) sensor? I read about extending the wiring, which makes sense and about people using the sensor on their OEM e30 tank, but didn't know if the >96 e36 sensors will bolt right up to the tank.

TIA!

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I searched and didn't see a clear-cut answer to my question.

Does the US/OEM coolant level sensor on the bottom of the expansion tank fit the euro expansion tank, or do I need to by a different (euro) sensor? I read about extending the wiring, which makes sense and about people using the sensor on their OEM e30 tank, but didn't know if the >96 e36 sensors will bolt right up to the tank.

TIA!
    You need the correct E30 oil level float switch.

EDIT: You need the correct Euro E36 coolant level float switch. (Yeah, I really f'ed up that answer)

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 04-02-2014 at 09:14 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    You need the correct E30 oil level float switch. Neil

Prt #?

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    Prt #?
    See my corrected post above.

Parts are #15 and #26 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...02&hg=17&fg=05

As a Euro part it's special order, but I believe Bimmerworld may have them. I got mine as part of a kit from them.

Neil

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    You need the correct E30 oil level float switch.

EDIT: You need the correct Euro E36 coolant level float switch. (Yeah, I really f'ed up that answer)

Neil
    thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

looks like realoem has two part numbers. Looking on ECS's website they have detailed pics of both parts and they are different.

Just want to make sure I order the correct one.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...0421/ES166849/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...0458/ES168092/

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    What happens if you use an E30 float switch? I did this so long ago that I cannot remember the details, but think I bought a kit from Bimmerworld.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3, 2001 X5 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

looks like realoem has two part numbers. Looking on ECS's website they have detailed pics of both parts and they are different.

Just want to make sure I order the correct one.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...0421/ES166849/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...0458/ES168092/

I ordered the first one when I did mine, and while it works, the connector is different from the one on the car. I just made my own connector with a few butt connectors, but that's not exactly the cleanest option. It looks like the second option will plug right in, so I would go that route.

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by Milney325 View Post
    I ordered the first one when I did mine, and while it works, the connector is different from the one on the car. I just made my own connector with a few butt connectors, but that's not exactly the cleanest option. It looks like the second option will plug right in, so I would go that route.
    Yeah, according to RealOEM the -0458 replaced the -0421 from 3/96 production. They're shown as the same length, 109mm, so should be interchangeable other than the connector. The one I'm using is apparently the -0421 (came with BW kit), identifiable by its exposed connector pins. I did the same thing as you with the improvised connectors.

DSC01471-sm-R.jpg

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 04-03-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Improved photo quality

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast