Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Euro expansion tank easy simple DIY. no $150 kit required :)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by themadrussian View Post
    I added power vent windows because they allow me to open and close my rear vent windows without having to pull over. Saying that I should leave the vent windows open the entire drive is silly - if it rains, or if I get on the highway, I want to close them. If I want to listen to music, I want to close them.

There is no comparison between a mod that actually increases convenience significantly and causes no problem whatsoever, and one that has little to no performance increase and causes a problem by the removal of the air pump.

The euro tank is a very cool mod, but it has to be done right, and it isn't worth it if it's going to cause a whole host of new problems. There is no suitable place to relocate the secondary air pump unless you plan to remove your windshield wiper reservoir (again, this introduces a new problem - no wiper fluid).

I'm not saying the OP is stupid - I'm saying that the OP should have at least done it with the proper OEM hardware and lines (rather than rubber tubing that's prone to cracks and all that).
    Again, it is all relative. I don't mind manually opening and closing the rear vent windows for my driving purposes. On the other hand, I got very tired of working around the stock expansion tank and bleeding it on my highly modified 99M3 that requires far more maintenance and repairs than a stock car.

There are suitable places for the pump. It can be relocated to the front bumper or to where the washer reservoir is if a Euro washer reservoir is placed in the front bumper. Alternatively, you could put the washer reservoir in the trunk (some non BMW cars have them in the rear from the factory).

Mods are subjective. I might find your power vent window mod to be something I would not bother to do and you might find a Euro tank mod something you would not do. Some people would ask why you want to listen to music when the sound of the engine is so nice. Others might say you should not be driving such a nice car in the rain. Or that you should use the air conditioning and heating.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    For me and what I do with my car, the euro tank is a much greater convenience than rear power vent windows could ever be.

It puts a smile on my face everytime I refill the coolant and hear all the air automatically bleed out in the process. Such a cleaner/simpler and more reliable procedure than waiting for the car to reach temp and then purposefuly having coolant overflow all over the car and garage floor, and STILL having some air trapped in the system.

While the euro hard lines are more reliable and clearly more sano than the OP's set-up, the US set-up also uses a long-azz hose from expansion tank to hardline. Similar to the OP's set-up.
    Garrett

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    delted
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 03-02-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    '98 M3
    ^ So as not to sound like a dick, but the hard lines are better, PERIOD. How much better, I can't say. However, the less rubber the less chance for failure. Obviously you still need rubber pieces to connect two components together. There is a reason the factory choose to use both hard lines and soft lines. Not unlike the brake system, why not just run flexible hoses the whole length of the car....

Either way, I appreciate for budget friendly approach and no doubt it will work just fine. Just helpful advice for a "better" install.

Mike... aka Track Junkie
    '98.5 M3 Coupe Titan Silver

My Cars
    '99 Estoril/Grey M3
    Quote Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
    hey guy
    For starters, I really suggest you stop using the word "guy" and that phrase in general:

Anyway, even if you have no CEL right now, you will get one. You're not getting a CEL because it's not cold outside and the system doesn't need to activate the air pump to reduce cold-start emissions. In December, you're going to be trying to figure out a way to fix it and pass an emissions inspection. Trust me - you'll get a CEL eventually.

I never said the Euro tank was stupid and I never said that you were stupid - the mod obviously has a benefit over the US plastic tank. However, in your case, it hasn't been done with the correct hardware and has forced you to remove an emissions control component (which, I believe, is illegal under Federal law).

I have no problem with cool mods that benefit the owner in some way - I have a problem when people suggest mods that cause problems, really don't have any purpose, and are never done right (#1 offender: bf.c fan delete mod, #2 offender: bf.c angel eyes mod). This mod, when done right, does not fall into this category. However, since you haven't used the correct mounting hardware or the OEM hard lines, and since you haven't relocated the secondary air pump, you've introduced an unsuitably high level of "ghetto modding" into what otherwise would be a commendable project.

Use the right bracket to mount the reservoir. Use the OEM hard lines. Relocate the secondary air pump (use the Euro SMG washer tank if necessary). Then I'll tell you "great job, good mod well done" (not that you care about my opinion anyway). I'm not going to stand behind you and link other people to this thread when they ask about doing this mod, because you haven't done the job thoroughly.

Just my opinion. Don't get so worked up about it.

1999 Estoril/Gray M3

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    Quote Originally Posted by themadrussian View Post
    For starters, I really suggest you stop using the word "guy" and that phrase in general:

Anyway, even if you have no CEL right now, you will get one. You're not getting a CEL because it's not cold outside and the system doesn't need to activate the air pump to reduce cold-start emissions. In December, you're going to be trying to figure out a way to fix it and pass an emissions inspection. Trust me - you'll get a CEL eventually.

I never said the Euro tank was stupid and I never said that you were stupid - the mod obviously has a benefit over the US plastic tank. However, in your case, it hasn't been done with the correct hardware and has forced you to remove an emissions control component (which, I believe, is illegal under Federal law).

I have no problem with cool mods that benefit the owner in some way - I have a problem when people suggest mods that cause problems, really don't have any purpose, and are never done right (#1 offender: bf.c fan delete mod, #2 offender: bf.c angel eyes mod). This mod, when done right, does not fall into this category. However, since you haven't used the correct mounting hardware or the OEM hard lines, and since you haven't relocated the secondary air pump, you've introduced an unsuitably high level of "ghetto modding" into what otherwise would be a commendable project.

Use the right bracket to mount the reservoir. Use the OEM hard lines. Relocate the secondary air pump (use the Euro SMG washer tank if necessary). Then I'll tell you "great job, good mod well done" (not that you care about my opinion anyway). I'm not going to stand behind you and link other people to this thread when they ask about doing this mod, because you haven't done the job thoroughly.

Just my opinion. Don't get so worked up about it.
    hey guy,

subscribed 100%.

you took the time to lay out exactly what i meant to say. the fact that this "mad modder" has no idea what the air pump is, how it works, when it's used, but removed it anyway just illustrates my point.

long live BFc.

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 03-02-2021 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 03-02-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    e31_850ci & some e38s
    well done.....i learned. im happy
    E31 M73 Forever

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    Why does the new euro bracket you have look like it's tweaked and beat up?
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    318ti
    The euro tank is a very cool mod, but it has to be done right, and it isn't worth it if it's going to cause a whole host of new problems. There is no suitable place to relocate the secondary air pump unless you plan to remove your windshield wiper reservoir (again, this introduces a new problem - no wiper fluid).

I'm not saying the OP is stupid - I'm saying that the OP should have at least done it with the proper OEM hardware and lines (rather than rubber tubing that's prone to cracks and all that).[/QUOTE]

why so much concern for what another man does with his coolant tank? I think he did a good job with it will I do it? prob not its not that serious for my application but good for the OP and at the same time I couldnt care less if the OP moves to the middle of Africa and drives his car without his entire coolant system. Give the guy a break he tried to help out fellow bimmer drivers with his writeup.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    What if you have a track pipe and don't need the secondary air pump to help heat up the cats faster on cold starts?

If you do want to relocate the air pump and retain the washer reservoir, it can be done. It can go behind the bumper or a euro washer tank can go there and it can go where the USA washer tank is.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    SOLD
    OP what year e30 exactly is the expansion tank from?
    Shark Edit is coming. When? We do not know

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Late model.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Plug in 91 325is to realoem and work backwards and/or try other models if you plan to go junkyard hunting for 20 year old expansion tanks (dumb idea but people do it and it is a free country).

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    Linked to Pelican for you guys. As for reliability...this is MORE reliable than the expansion tank on our cars. There is no stupid divider that can get hairline cracks like ours can, it self bleeds, creates more room up front, etc.
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    If anybody is looking for a used tank, I have one: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1259160
    Garrett

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    '93 318is, '95 M3
    I assume the pics of where the tank is mounted were taken prior to getting the Euro brackets. With the identified brackets, does the tank remain in the position shown?

I have a 95 M3 that didn't an air pump. My battery jumper station is located right where the tanks is shown in the pics. I have the brackets listed and can't figure out where they go. I'm wondering if that jumper station is in the way.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    deleted
    Wanganstyle Powertrain

My Cars
    '93 318is, '95 M3
    How were the new brackets attached to the car? Did you have to drill new holes? Did you use rivets, screws or something else?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Relocate the battery connection against the fender. Mine (96-99 M3) is there and I installed a euro tank. Rivet or weld the brackets. I riveted. You could also screw.

My Cars
    '93 318is, '95 M3
    Thanks. Rivets it is.

Now my problem will be relocating the battery connection. The cables that come up to that connector from the bottom are way too tight to allow relocation to the fender. I need to see if I can find some slack.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast