Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Spec E36 Build - 328i

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    very cool project seems to be coming along nicely

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    I have read the spec e36 rules but how do you know all the other parts you can use that are not mentioned?

Like the solid mounts, exp tanks, etc...

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Rob95 View Post
    I have read the spec e36 rules but how do you know all the other parts you can use that are not mentioned?

Like the solid mounts, exp tanks, etc...
    From what I understand, if it is not mentioned you can't use it. Solid mounts are allowed though. Aftermarket or remote expansion tanks may not be allowed but I can't imagine someone protesting me on that.

The dashboard was removed today. What a fun job. More busted knuckles. Thanks to Chris for the help.

Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 11-15-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 528, 95 M3, euro E3
    Jeff,

If you leave that dash loose, we may try to fit the dash bar in OVER the heater core

noodlexyz is offline Ryan - Mueller Motorwerks Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    93 325is, 07 Focus S
    Quote Originally Posted by m3weaver View Post
    Jeff,

If you leave that dash loose, we may try to fit the dash bar in OVER the heater core
    That would be interesting to see, but why not just remove the heater core?

-Ryan
    1993 325is racing car type thing....

My Cars
    2000 528, 95 M3, euro E3
    Just leaving the dash loose until the cage is installed, then reinstall, rather than working around it.

Want to keep the heater installed for defrost and clearing windows while running in the rain.

My Cars
    '95 M3 GTS2 #177

nice

Looking good Jeff. Damn there's alot of stuff under these dashboards.

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    I'm doing my best to convince Jeff to remove the heater now, while it's staring him in the face. I have solutions for each and every one of his concerns regarding the heater-delete. He has a bad case of streetcaritis. Reaching minimum weight will be but a dream if his condition persists.

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Haha at street-car-itis. So solid bushings it is. Motormounts and all?

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    I recommend Al engine/tranny/diff and sub frame mounts. Bushing material has yet to be discussed.

My Cars
    This car will be done and raced before Chris's ever sees the track again.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Suspension bushing material is free, but sphericals are not allowed. So, in some cases, you're looking at a hard rubber rather than a solid bushing since some bushings are multi-axis.

If allowed, solid motor, transmission, and diff mounts are a no brainer in my opinion. More reliable as long as you take proper care to reinforce the subframe, etc. In some areas, using delrin for a bit of shock absorption might be better than straight aluminum.
    Last edited by B.Watts; 11-17-2009 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Oh heeellll no. My car is parked, patienly, ready for an event. I even managed to ditch the OE eprom in favor of something a bit more "racey". I will be at the first club race within a single-digit tow. Or, instructing at a DE of similar proximity.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    If allowed, solid motor, transmission, and diff mounts are a no brainer in my opinion. More reliable as long as you take proper care to reinforce the subframe, etc. In some areas, using delrin for a bit of shock absorption might be better than straight aluminum.

Yep, this is why we use Nylon on our stiffest BMW motor mounts. It has a tiny bit of NVH absorption, but is essentially solid. The difference in shift feel and throttle response on a BMW equipped with our nylon comp motor mounts and our comp trans mounts vs. "the hardest rubber mounts available" is astounding.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Personally, I do not like to use mounts that incorporate bonding agents (or glue). I have witnessed failures of these bonding agents (and even a failure of the mount material itself) on more than one occasion - though not of the examples shown above. Typically it is the right engine mount that fails, due to the heat emitted from the exhaust manifold. Aluminum mounts are simply solid metal, eliminating any potential for failure.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher@BRM View Post
    Personally, I do not like to use mounts that incorporate bonding agents (or glue). I have witnessed failures of these bonding agents (and even a failure of the mount material itself) on more than one occasion - though not of the examples shown above. Typically it is the right engine mount that fails, due to the heat emitted from the exhaust manifold. Aluminum mounts are simply solid metal, eliminating any potential for failure.
    Agreed. I have seen many a bonded polyurethane or rubber drive line mounts fail catastrophically (just like the OEM rubber mounts do), too. Then the engine just flops around like a dead fish, pulling on all of the hoses and potentially causing all sorts of damage (to coolant or power steering hoses, radiator necks, etc).

+

That's why we make our competition motor and trans mounts as a bolt-thru mount design. The only way for it to come apart is to remove it from the car, or if the big M10 stud breaks (which would be hard to do!). This method gives you some upgrade/downgrade choices down the road, if you want a harder Nylon or softer Poly bushing insert. We usually have 2-3 durometer bushing choices for each mount we make.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled Spec E36 build thread.
    Last edited by Fair; 11-17-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukes 2 View Post
    Looking good Jeff. Damn there's alot of stuff under these dashboards.
    Thanks Joe. Yes there is and it is overwhelming for this first time builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher@BRM View Post
    I'm doing my best to convince Jeff to remove the heater now, while it's staring him in the face. I have solutions for each and every one of his concerns regarding the heater-delete. He has a bad case of streetcaritis. Reaching minimum weight will be but a dream if his condition persists.
    Streetcaritis. I do have it real bad but with every piece that is removed and often times destroyed my affliction diminishes. So much so I am even actually considering removing my heater core.

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Shot's fired!
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 11-17-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    m3 f350
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post

Streetcaritis. I do have it real bad but with every piece that is removed and often times destroyed my affliction diminishes. So much so I am even actually considering removing my heater core.

Jeff, take the heater core out, you'll appreciate it later. The dash bar if well designed will block all of the stock defrost ducting from getting to the windscreen.

Also se36 weight is lighhhht and it looks like it takes some effort to get there.

noodlexyz is offline Ryan - Mueller Motorwerks Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    93 325is, 07 Focus S
    Quote Originally Posted by skiboard06 View Post
    Jeff, take the heater core out, you'll appreciate it later. The dash bar if well designed will block all of the stock defrost ducting from getting to the windscreen.

Also se36 weight is lighhhht and it looks like it takes some effort to get there.
    Hahaha, just take it out already!

-Ryan
    1993 325is racing car type thing....

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by skiboard06 View Post

All this pressure to remove the heater core has finally gotten to me. Chris is coming over on Sunday and we will officially be removing the heater core forever ridding me of street - car - itis!

You are correct, it does take some effort to get to minimum weight. There has been quite a discussion about that on the Spec E36 Yahoo Group recently and being that I have a sedan I need to remove everything I can within the rules to achieve 2830. Not to mention I am pleasantly "stocky" at 200lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlexyz View Post
    Hahaha, just take it out already!

-Ryan
    Ryan, please see above...
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 11-20-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1993 Bmw 350is
    awesome build! good luck!

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Update: Heater core is officially out of the car. It was pretty straight forward for the most part with some wrestling towards the end to remove it once it was unbolted. Most likely removed ~50lbs worth of parts today. So it was quite a successful day.

Thanks once again to Chris & Tucker, I could not have done it without them.

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    Did you guys get anything done this weekend?

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    This past weekend was productive. The injectors were rebuilt using a kit bought from Mr. Injector. The instructions were very thorough and the process was only mildly painful. Plus I was told that rebuilding the injectors is good for at least 10+ HP.

As for the heater core removal project, the intake manifold was removed and the Bimmerworld plate was installed were the coolant flowed into the heater core.

I also finished removing all of the sound deadening residue from the rear half of the car. A mere 4 hour project. I am not sure what to do yet with the seam sealer. Some say to grind it off and other say to leave it. When I paint the interior it will surely be an eye sore.

Injectors
    Before:

After:

Intake Manifold Removed:

Quote Originally Posted by tuckersmg View Post
    Did you guys get anything done this weekend?
    See above.

A better question is, did you get "anything done" this weekend?

An even better question for all track junkies is would you rather play around with race cars or pork? I smell a poll.
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 12-01-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD

does that answer your question

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast