Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Spec E36 Build - 328i

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Ditch that factory expansion tank!
    The rules don't say you CAN do that, though I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. It's something that should probably be added, since larger rads are permitted - causing this potential clearance issue with the OE expansion tank.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Just because it is a race car does not mean it can't look like a garage queen!

Before:

After:

My Cars
    ///M
    The afters are supposed to have the new suspension installed... Imagine how much easier it would have been to clean.

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    One good spin in the mud will fix that.
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    Jeez Jeff how much for a detail? That looks showroom.

My Cars
    ///M
    I think Jeff is going to get whatever I get for my next tow rig once a year for a going over.

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckersmg View Post
    Jeff, here are some pics. If you want some specific ones, let me know.
    Man those are some shitty looking welds on those added-on pieces. Hell I could probably do better than that. Are these radiators that much cheaper than say a Zionsville one? Zionsville found someone with good fab skills to do whatever they do to theirs.

-Carlos.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DBurke View Post
    The afters are supposed to have the new suspension installed... Imagine how much easier it would have been to clean.
    Agreed. I am doing the cage before the suspension since I need to drive the car quite a ways to get it done.

So my next step will be gutting and then the cage work.

Suspension will be ordered soon enough though...

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Jeez Jeff how much for a detail? That looks showroom.
    It looks even better in person. Gotta love the Cali car's, makes my life much easier.

1 session in your JP whip = 1 free detail.

I think Jeff is going to get whatever I get for my next tow rig once a year for a going over.
    Bring it on! Get it extra dirty beforehand though. I like a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by clopez95m3 View Post
    Man those are some shitty looking welds on those added-on pieces. Hell I could probably do better than that. Are these radiators that much cheaper than say a Zionsville one? Zionsville found someone with good fab skills to do whatever they do to theirs.

-Carlos.
    Yes, they are quite shitty. Most likely IE sourced the rads from a chinese supplier for dirt. Hopefully the extra cooling capacity will give me one less thing to worry about at the track.

I still need to move the expansion tank off the motor.

Has anyone got rid of the bitch clips and fabricated their own clips? Right now, the bitch clips are the reason why the tank is on the motor. They need to be shortened to pull the rad in tighter to the rad support. I could possibly cut them and drill through the clip and the rad support but that sounds ghetto.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by BMW4LIFE; 10-22-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    Thoughts?
    Yeah the BW guys did something interesting on Bill H's IP car. They TIG welded tabs to the radiator itself then drilled holes on the tab and attached to the rad support. Not exactly sure how they retained the fastener but there are several ways to do so (bolt through or nutsert). I think the only thing I'd add is some sort of material to help with vibrations, you could sandwich it under the bracket.

This page has it:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...9&postcount=88

-Carlos.
    Last edited by clopez95m3; 10-23-2009 at 12:12 AM.

My Cars
    SE36 #206
    I'm using multiple high strength zip ties through each clip hole. Classy, I know.
    Brian
    SE36 #206

My Cars
    98 M3
    hey sorry to just drop in! im new to the forums, but just wanted to say very clean and nice car, cant wait to see the finished track car! and why so clean? trying to shave some lbs in the weight? lol well hope all goes well, and good luck! i wish my car could turn out like some of the track cars i have seen on this thread!

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykes1330 View Post
    .....and why so clean?
    Clean cars make it easier to spot fluid leaks, damage or stress cracks.

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Totally. He's doing my Burb before the winter hits, and again before the season starts in the spring. Actually, Jeff's detail biz (really, he has a detail biz) does my dad/step-mom/step bros whips.

My Cars
    ///M
    Work has contracted with Jeff's detail biz. Its actually where we met, in a cold parking lot in LI. For the third city in a row I got a hey, do you know JClark??? The guys I worked with were like WTF?
    Garage sale coming soon, watch this space.

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Work has contracted with Jeff's detail biz. Its actually where we met, in a cold parking lot in LI. For the third city in a row I got a hey, do you know JClark??? The guys I worked with were like WTF?
    LOL. Jeff's always like, "So, when am I getting the contract to detail all of the race cars at your shop?" I'm always like, "Uh, when they see enough action to actually require a detail..."

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    Are you workin on the car Sat? I want to stop by and check it out and pick up the helmet. Chris, if you can make it I will bring some beers and we can sit, drink and break Jeff's balls as he works on the car.

My Cars
    M-Sport E91, BJ8, 964C2
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckersmg View Post
    Are you workin on the car Sat? I want to stop by and check it out and pick up the helmet. Chris, if you can make it I will bring some beers and we can sit, drink and break Jeff's balls as he works on the car.
    Definitely a possibility. I'm going over there at some point. I'll holla at ya before I go.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Update: Lot's of tedious work was done this weekend on the car. All unnecessary interior items were removed as well as the carpet which was a bitch and a half. After going on a diet the car nows sits very high almost SUV like. A bunch of hair clips were found under the driver's seat which may mean the car was owned by a women at somepoint which is nice or not, who knows. Removal of the unnecessary wiring and white sound deadening is up next.

Thanks to the help of Chris @ BRM and his 3yo son Alex as well as Tucker who made a brief cameo before heading to work.

Pics:

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    It looks like I missed the best part. Let me know next time you are workin on the car and I will come by for a little longer this time. I want to be there when you do the sunroof cassette so I can get some pointers. I will call you about the headlight.

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    Oh God, the best part! E36 diets are so fun. I miss mine doing mine (with the exception of the sound deadening, of course!)
    Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerDawg View Post
    Oh God, the best part! E36 diets are so fun. I miss mine doing mine (with the exception of the sound deadening, of course!)
    I was enjoying it as a comfortable street car so it was tough to make that leap and accept it's fate as a race car. But once I started I could not stop.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    The Spec e36 project is moving along nicely. Today I finished up removing all of the sound deadening with the help of Tucker and Chris. Thanks for the helping hand. By far the most painful part of the build process thus far. Next step is to clean up the left over sound deadening residue and remove any unnecessary wiring.

When cleaning up the sound deadening I decided to remove the black plastic covers in the back seat area where the fuel pump lies and found a rats nest. Since the car sat for a while I should be thankful it was not built inside the motor.

Thanks again to Tucker and Chris for helping out today!

Some pics:

My Cars
    Too many.
    LOL @ Tucker. His facial expression is classic...must have been smelling some of the chemicals used to remove the adhesive residue.

Debris around fuel pumps: Local critters or from out west?

My Cars
    IP#145, 11 E92, 2500 HD
    Mario, we didn't get to the chemicals yet, that was from the Coors Light and lack of sleep )

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TIATO View Post
    LOL @ Tucker. His facial expression is classic...must have been smelling some of the chemicals used to remove the adhesive residue.

Debris around fuel pumps: Local critters or from out west?
    I think that was the "Why the F*** are you taking my picture?" face. But I could be wrong.

Local critters. I think.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast